21 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2010 7:19 AM by vagrant RSS

SlingPlayer on Mac has jerky stop motion picture

gautamgodse

Hi

I have  SlingBoxPRO HD hooked up to my DirecTV HD set top box. I use a MacBook Pro on my local network to watch the SlingBox using SlingPlayer 1.0.10 for Mac.

The video quality is good, but the streaming is very jerky and stops every few seconds and then skips and continues. The audio continues smoothly, its the video that seems to be the problem.

Does anyone have any solutions for this ?
      This is on a local network as well as on slingbox.com - same jerky stop motion picture.

My internet bandwidth is cable with 15Mbps down and 2 Mbps upload.

This problem started recently and I have not made any changes in my network or computers.

Thanks.

--

Gautam

• Re: SlingPlayer on Mac has jerky stop motion picture
          eferz Expert

Have you tried unplugging the power for the Slingbox for a minute then reconnecting?

I usually find this is a heat related issue, and letting it rest for a minute helps disappate the heat.

karog Newbie

Rather than unplug you can push the little red reset button on the back between the power connector and the edge of the case.

Also, on the Mac, viewing is better thru the browser than the SlingPlayer, especially for HD. This is because on the Mac, the SlingPlayer simply does not do HD. However, the browser plug-in does do HD. For the browser you need either Firefox or 32-bit Safari. You can start Safari in 32-bit mode by doing a Get Info on Safari.app and checking the Open in 32-bit mode checkbox in the General section. Yes, it is a pain to have to run Safari this way. And a pain that SlingPlayer does not do HD. In the browser, go to http://watch.slingbox.com/

johnsom

I am also having this problem.  It started with the last firmware update (pushed via the Windows client).

Unfortunately there is something wrong with the web player on Mac as it won't open with either Safari or Firefox.

Mac Book Pro 10.4 OS

I hope an updated version comes out soon to fix this.  It makes it unwatchable.

eferz Expert

johnsom wrote:

I am also having this problem.  It started with the last firmware update (pushed via the Windows client).

Have you tried unplugging the  power for the Slingbox for a minute then  reconnecting?

I usually  find this is a heat related issue, and letting it rest for a minute  helps disappate the heat.

Unfortunately there is something wrong with the web player on Mac as it won't open with either Safari or Firefox.

Mac Book Pro 10.4 OS

I hope an updated version comes out soon to fix this.  It makes it unwatchable.

Can you elaborate more on what happens when you try to use the Web Slingplayer?

johnsom

This is not a heat issue.  I have had these boxes for some time and have not had this issue until the last firmware update.  I can swap back and forth between a windows client and the Mac client, no stuttering on the Windows system, but unwatchable on the Mac.

The web player just comes up with a black screen that says I am on an unsupported platform.  Firefox or Safari.

I hope Sling will update the Mac client soon....

Michael

eferz Expert

I find it odd that the Web Slingplayer isn't working.  As I understand, that's the only way to get high definition from the Slingplayer Pro-HD on the Mac.

Did you mask Firefox or Safari's user agent to appear as a different browser for compatibility for another site?

Just pulled up the minimum requirements from this page (http://www.slingmedia.com/go/prohd)

Minimum Mac  Requirements:
                          • HD Streaming: Intel 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo class  processor or equivalent with 2 GB of RAM
                          • SD Streaming: Intel-based Mac with 2 GB of  RAM
                          • Operating System: Mac OS 10.5.7 (Leopard) or  later
                          • Browser Support:  Firefox Version 3 or higher, Safari Version 3 or higher

Looks like you might be a little bit behind on the OS requirement being at 10.4

jts_tennis

I found I have the same problem.  It appears to be a heat issue with the unit.  If I unplug the power from the unit for 60-90 minutes the problem with freezing is gone.  However, within a day it returns and is unwatchable.  Since the unit is upstairs it is a real hassle to disconnect the power to eliminate the over heating.  This appears to be a recall issue but if sling does not recognize it as such...then they are content to blame it on software/firmware and/or network speeds.  My unit is less than six months old and support told me I have to go back to ebay seller for refund or exchange.   

eferz Expert

If its a heat issue, couldn't you just move it to where it has better ventilation?

johnsom

My issue is not heat related.  It's never had this issue until the last firmware and it's in an open air conditioned area.  It's a firmware bug.

eferz Expert

Right, that's why I quoted jts_tennis.

I believe your issue may be related to the OS version.  Its possible that 10.4 doesn't have the performance enchancements as listed in the minimum requirements.

beemergeek

I think it may be a combination of the two.

I didn't have the stuttering problem until I tried to attach from a Windows laptop.   From the Windows platform, it showed that an update was available.

After I installed the update, the stuttering has been an ongoing problem on the mac.  Both the client and the web client have the same issue, to the point where the application will abort after it gets about 8-9 minutes behind video-wise.

My bandwidth is in the 9MB/sec range on a gigabit network.   I regularly transfer files around at 38+MBytes/sec, so I know the network is good.

My theory is that the Windows firmware update caused the problem.  A side effect may be that the unit is now over-heating.

I haven't found any way to get back to the version that didn't have the problem.

In the meantime, I'm going to re-arrange the unit to try to dissipate the heat.   It's currently sitting on top of the dish receiver, which generates a lot of heat itself.

I'd sure feel a lot better if someone would acknowledge the problem rather than this feedback going into a black hole.

And no, I'm not going to watch my dish on the Windows platform.   Windows is a boot virus.

jts_tennis

I have now confirmed the heat issue.  It seems that sling is not willing to acknowledge the problem and issue a recall.  I love starting class actions like this ....please contact me if you have the same issue.  It will not cost us a dime to file for refund or exchange for fixed units.

mclinger

I have the same issue as the first post. After the latest upgrade on both the web interface and with Slingplayer the audio is fine, but the video stops for 5 to 10 seconds, then displays a few frames, then stops for 5 to 10 seconds. It is frozen more of than not.

If I unplug the device for 10 seconds and plug it back in this behavior stops for a while. Then it comes back. Some have suggested that this is a heat issue, but I don't think 10 secs would be enough for the device to cool down.

I have been using this slingbox, in this exact location, for the last 11 months. Only after the firmware upgrade did I start having problems.

jxkonline

I have been experiencing the same problem.  Viewing would get choppy,  sluggish then drop the connection.  My Sister-In-Law came for a visit  with a new Macbook Pro (mine is 2008 running updated version of Snow  Leopard) and just for kicks I decided to load the software and connect  on her machine.  Her machine worked without a hiccup for 90 minutes.  I  am using Linksys E2000 Router with DD-WRT flashed firmware to stream  wirelessly to the Macbook.  The Slingbox Pro is connected to the router  via ethernet cable.

I decided to assign a static IP  address on my router for my Macbook (192.168.1.140) and my slingbox  streaming has been working soooooooo much better.  Not perfect, but much  better.  Please reply to this post if this works for you.

FYI my paid phone call to Sling Support was a waste of $$$.

webslingster

Definitely firmware. Just updated  via a Windows XP machine, and on both a Mac and XP it is choppy video,  same has umpteen others have identified.

https://community.sling.com/message/25760

Has  nothing to do with hardware temperature or any other nonsense. It looks  like Sling's tech support have made people go through hoops. Crazy. I  made zero other changes, just a firmware 'upgrade,' and it turns into  this freakin' monster, now a time-sucking piece of ****. Thanks a  lot...I'd like to take a slingshot to SlingMedia for causing this, and  clearly not fixing it since it has been going on for MONTHS is  intolerable.

It  is obvious there is little action on the matter. So I suggest users  contact the executive team directly. That's what I am doing tomorrow, by  fax and phone. Forget technical support; I am not wasting my time or  money on that approach.

http://www.slingmedia.com/go/executive-team

Sling Media, Inc.
                                      1051 E. Hillsdale Blvd, Suite 500
                                      Foster City, CA 94404

+1 650 293 8000
                                      +1 650 293 8800 fax

I encourage anyone with the same issue to voice their concern to where it counts...the boss.