2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 25, 2014 3:28 PM by hspindel RSS

Newbie question regarding SlingPlayer capability

hspindel

Considering a purchase of a Slingbox.  Currently have a Tivo Premiere that it would hook to.

Can the SlingPlayer be used to play content from the Tivo without going through the SlingPlayer website?  I want to play content on a local PC, and it will kill performance if the video has to go out over the internet and back.

Can I record (on the PC) the SlingPlayer stream?

Thanks.

• Re: Newbie question regarding SlingPlayer capability
          phatjoe88 Newbie

Why bother with a slingbox if you are on the same network? You have 2 other options.

1. Purchase a Tivo Stream $99
          2. Use Tivo's Desktop App $16

When you stream via the slingbox app it does not go out over the internet and back so you shouldn't have to go through slings servers so performance should be good.

If you get the Tivo stream you can transfer shows direct to you phone or tablet real easy, thus no need to record via your PC. You can't record content from slingbox direct to your PC anyway.

• Re: Newbie question regarding SlingPlayer capability
              hspindel

Tivo Stream only streams to another Tivo, not to a PC.

Tivo Desktop will not transfer files with glitches in them.

The whole reason for investigating this is to archive shows on my PC that the Tivo will not transfer due to glitches in the encoding.  Happens periodically.  (Yes, it's lame that the Tivo gives up on the transfer when it sees a glitch.)