11 Replies Latest reply: Jun 4, 2015 4:47 PM by Jefrizle RSS

poor quality audio on SB500

psavini

Hi, as the title says, I've got pretty poor quality audio coming through on my SB500.  It's difficult to describe what it sounds like but I will try.  For instance watching ESPN I get adequate sound from a commentator's voice but all of the background sound like music or ambient noise if I'm watching a game is garbled, overlaid with a "sh sh sh sh"-ing sound.  If I can, I might try to attach a recording to demonstrate.  This is a recent phenomenon and I can't pinpoint exactly when it started happening.  I am viewing on Windows 7 x64 using Chrome and on my iPhone/iPad using the app and it is the same.  I haven't tested on other platforms.  I have power cycled the Slingbox (which I can do remotely), which didn't solve the problem.  I am a Comcast Xfinity customer on one of their Cisco HD DVR boxes.  I have played with the audio settings on the box (admittedly there isn't much), changing from stereo to mono, low compression to max compression.  Nothing there has worked either.  The connection I'm using is component with the standard red/white stereo cable.  As I mentioned, it had worked fine in the past so I don't think it is a cabling problem.  Can anyone please help?

• Re: poor quality audio on SB500
          kevin.sling Apprentice

Hello psavini,

Just something to try out.

Try optimizing the audio on the Comcast cable box.  The following steps are done with your home remote:

1. Press Menu on the remote

2. Select Menu out of list

3. Select Setup

4. Select Audio settings

5. Select Optimize Audio

Hope this helps!!!!

Kevin

Sling Media Moderation Team

psavini

Hi Kevin, thank you for the reply.  I've tried optimizing the sound via the Comcast menu and there is no improvement in quality.  Any other suggestions?

Interesting to note at least one other user reporting the same issue...

psavini

FWIW, I also had someone at the Slingbox location perform a reset of the SB500.  This did not correct the poor sound quality problem either...  Would appreciate someone from Slingbox looking further into this.  REALLY frustrating this sudden drop in quality.  I will post a file as an example shortly.

denniscvd

I have the exact same issues. I have 2 slingboxes one with directv in the states and one in the Netherlands. It never had this issue but all of a sudden it was there. Its is almost as the video optimizes the sound does not follow, like it used to do. Having it happen to both my slingboxes clearly indicates it is not a problem coming from that but from slingbox.com itself.

psavini

Attached is a file that demonstrates well the problem... from a baseball game, you can hear the ambient noise from the stands and it just doesn't sound right.  My bandwidth capacity is Good/Excellent, upload speed at the SB location is 9Mbps and download speed is 6Mbps.

stanley.sling Apprentice

Hello psavini,

Try out the troubleshooting steps listed in this article:

Despite the article stating these troubleshooting steps are for "no audio", the troubleshooting would be the same for poor audio.

Hope this helps,

Stanley

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team

denniscvd

Did not work. I still think it is in the software from you guys. A couple of months I had troubles with my remote, it reacted incredibly slow after an update. You guys gave me 3 options all did not work, and all of a sudden 2/3 months later it worked normal again. I fear it is going to be the same case with this sound issue.

psavini

Let me chime in here. 

First, just to address the 'basic troubleshooting' on audio:

Verify that your current setup meets all system requirements. YES

Double check all your cabling to and from your Slingbox and AV device(s) are connected. YES

Try connecting to a different device. If you normally use a cable box, try a DVD player, and so forth. NOT POSSIBLE FOR ME FROM HERE, BUT THE DEVICE HAD WORKED FINE IN THE PAST

Verify if audio streams successfully using Watch on Slingbox.comTHEY AREN'T

Verify if the issue is still present while viewing over the Internet (away from home) vs. viewing while on your local network. IT IS STILL PRESENT

Try resetting the Slingbox using Watch on Slingbox.com to restore settings.  HAVE DONE THIS, DIDN'T HELP

Are you getting audio from other applications, like iTunes, Windows Media Player or streaming video sites like YouTube or Hulu? I AM

Some versions of Windows have application-specific volume levels. If another application has audio, check for application-specific audio options. In Watch on Slingbox.com verify that the sound is not muted by hovering the mouse over the sound "horn" in the lower left hand corner of the screen. If you see "Click to Unmute", then you know it is muted. AUDIO IS NOT MUTED, VOLUME LEVELS ARE FINE

Run Windows Update to make sure you have all the latest drivers installed. DONE

Make sure you have speakers (or headphones) connected and turned on. I HAVE SPEAKERS

If possible, try connecting a TV to the passthrough connection on the Slingbox to see if there's audio. If not, there may be an issue with the source device. I CAN'T DO THIS FROM HERE BUT I DON'T THINK THE SOURCE DEVICE IS AT FAULT.

Go into the settings on your cable box and try to turn up or optimize the audio.  ALREADY DONE THIS

Verify that your cable box is set to use analog audio  IT IS

Now, to the point made by the other poster.  I could not agree more with it.  I 100% believe this is what has happened.  I remember when I got this SB500 and set it up back in Dec 2012.  NOTHING worked on it the way it was supposed to.  I mean NOTHING.  I was in a house with wired gigabit ethernet speed, wireless-N and trying to access to the SB via iOS app and I was getting constant buffering in all quality modes, makes no sense right?  When I came back to the UK, despite good up/down speeds, buffering, frequent dropff of the connection, I could go on.  Basically the box was useless to me.  I posted on these forums and got the same (and sorry to Sling support for being blunt) but basically useless responses pointing me to the various KB articles on the website.  I basically just stopped using the box.  Then several months later, lo and behold it starts working again.  Sling Media clearly pushed an update addressing all these teething issues with the 500 and users are none the wiser.  Don't get me wrong, I was glad to not be sitting on a brick again.  But now here we are back to some mysterious problem with the software and no one seems to have a clue.  It's a very frustrating user experience.  I was loving my Slingbox for the past year or so, but this sound thing is driving me crazy.  I have very high priced audio equipment throughout my house and it is highly noticable for me and very frustrating.  I wish this problem could be solved.  Again, for my ears, it is has something to do with multi-channel as it is only noticible with certain types of ambient or background sound.  And I'm not sure if that makes sense given I'm on a basic RCA stereo connection on cable/SB, but maybe something to do with matrix processing?  I'm not an audio engineer so I can't say for sure, but PLEASE can someone try to fix this?

denniscvd

this problem is still not fixed for me.. Replaced ALL the cables Slingbox and Cable box wise.. spent 50 dollars doing that!! Thanks slingbox

Jefrizle

Hello, had the same issue on a motorola box for verizon. went to audio setting and switched it from surround to stereo, i also changed audio from variable audio to fixed. cleared up the static noise and made my slingbox feed much louder. hope it helps