8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2014 12:58 AM by cniiptv RSS

Slingbox 500 and OS X Yosemite

duncansinfield

As a developer, I installed Apple's latest operating system, OS X 10.10 Yosemite, and determined Slingplayer on Safari is not compatable. Also tried using Google Chrome on the same computer and ran into the same problem. Does anyone have a workaround to get Slingplayer to work on OS X Yosemite, and more importantly, is Slingbox developing a player that will work with Apple's latest operating system (not released for public use until Fall 2014)?

• Re: Slingbox 500 and OS X Yosemite
          tiborg Newbie

I have the same issue. The plugin needs to check for OS version >= supported version. The current check method means all our Slingboxes will become useless when the company goes under and we upgrade our OS. Unfixed, this is just another reason not to buy a Slingbox when our current one dies.

cyberjunkyfreak

First of all, tiborg's comments are way out of line... it's a beta release OS!

To answer your question, it's a quite simple fix.  Just go the the "Develop" menu in Safari, and change the User Agent to something other than Safari 8.0.  I chose "Google Chrome - Mac" and can sling with Safari on Yosemite (currently running beta 2 build that released yesterday, June 17th).

If you do not see the "Develop" menu in Safari, go to Safari's preferences menu, and in the Advanced section, check the "Show Develop menu in the menu bar" box.

I can't speak for the company, however I have no reason to doubt that fine folks at Sling will have a plugin available for Yosemite by the time the OS hits a public release.

In the meantime... if the above work around works for you... Happy Slinging!

tiborg Newbie

Being a beta has nothing to do with this issue. The issue is what happens when Sling can't provide an update to their plug-in.

The plug-in is looking at the OS version and because it's greater than 10.9, it refuses to run. Using the actual Chrome app in 10.10 has the same issue. When you set the user agent in Safari to Chrome, it also causes Safari to report itself as running under OS X 10.9, that's why the plugin works. The method Sling is using to check for plug-in compatibility is broken and will leave all their users stranded once they can no longer update it. If Sling considers this expected behavior, then I won't consider their products anymore.

cyberjunkyfreak

Being a beta release has everything to do with the issue.  If you rollback to Mavericks, does the Sling plugin work?  It is not checking the OS version, it's checking the browser user agent, and Safari 8.0 beta (which is included with Yosemite) is not yet supported.  If you change the browser user agent like I explained, then you have a work around.  If you are not interested in work arounds then you shouldn't be running beta software.

What makes you think that Sling won't update their plugin before Yosemite reaches a public release?  You seem to be focussing on false problems, and not offering any real solutions to the original poster.

tiborg Newbie

This is the user agent for the latest Chrome running under 10.10:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_10_0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/35.0.1916.153 Safari/537.36

This is the user agent for Safari 8.0 spoofing Chrome under 10.10:

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/29.0.1547.57 Safari/537.36

The plugin works when the OS is reported as 10_9_0, it doesn't work when reported as 10_10_0. Do you still think this is a browser version issue?

djyoung

The version that the plug-in fully supports is OS X Mavericks as stated here (http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000075.html), they need to be able to test Yosemite internally so they don't release a broken version of the plug-in and get a lot more complaints. It isn't just about the browser, the data storage/cache needs to be functional across all OS versions which is why I believe they set the supported version to the latest PUBLIC OS (Mavericks) release. It's so easy to complain about something rather than figuring out how to work around it. Why bother updating to beta if you're going to complain about stuff that doesn't work?

tiborg Newbie

In the link you supplied, you will notice the "(and above)" for browser version support. It's normal for nearly all developers to have a minimum requirement. Having a maximum version requirement is the issue here. What other software do you have that checks to see if the OS is latest version at the time the software was published and flat out refuses to run if the OS is a later version? Compare that list to what software doesn't have a hard version check and you'll start to understand what I'm complianing about.

cniiptv

I am having the same issue. Running 10.10 beta 3, and cannot use the Slingbox. tiborg is correct, it's the OS version, not the browsetr, because it doesn't work in Chrome, Safari, Opera, or Firefox!

Come on Sling! This is a super easy fix!