2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2014 9:33 AM by lkodk RSS

Low resolution on mobile broadband

lkodk Newbie

Hi,

How come that the SlingPlayer for iPad only shows the picture in 640x240 when on high-speed mobile broadband, when on low-speed WiFi it runs 640x480?

Tested on remote location where on mobile broadband it streamed with almost 3mbit and WiFi around 2mbit.

The data-usage limitation on mobile broadband s deactived.

• Re: Low resolution on mobile broadband
          kevin.sling Apprentice

Hello lkodk,

In general, most mobile carriers still have metered data connections, reducing the maximum video quality slightly when streaming over a mobile network allows the SlingPlayer to be bandwidth-friendly, without compromising video quality.

Hope this helps!!!

Kevin

Sling Media Moderation Team

• Re: Low resolution on mobile broadband
              lkodk Newbie

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply.

But that is not what is going on unfortunately. To me it seems to be the SlingPlayer App that is controlling this behaviour not the mobile carrier.

Why? Because:

When I am connected to mobile broadband directly on the iPad then it is restricted to 640x240.

However, if I remove the SIM card from the iPad, put it into a mobile broadband router, connect the iPad via WiFi to the router, so the app sees it as a WiFi connection, then it allows 640x480.

It is the exact same SIM card and the exact same mobile broadband provider.

The same goes if I put the SIM card in my iPhone, create a hotspot and connect the iPad to that hotspot via WiFi. Presto 640x480!, even though I might stream with lower bandwidth, than when the iPad is using mobile broadband directly.

Why is that?