9 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2014 11:54 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Sony RDR-HXD970 - Please add remote control

ppstyle

Hi forum. I can not find the remote for the model: Sony RDR-HXD970. In fact the model Sony RDR-HXD970 does not exist on the selectable list of supported devices.

I am affected by option 1: When I run the Video Source set up my device is not supported

I have tried to make it work with a similar model called: Sony RDR-HXD870 as the on screen remote control appears to be identical. The problem is however, that whenever I push any button on the remote the picture on the screen freezes a second and then just continues without any effect.

To sum up: pushing the remote in example by switching channel the picture freezes a second and then nothing else happens. It stays on the same channel after the "frozen" second.

The sound however is working. But I have read that it has nothing to do with the remote control into the external box (sony rdr-hdx970)

I think either the model I have RDR-HXD970 has a slightly different instruction set than the Sony RDR-HXD870 which explains the fact I have no success when using the most similar device found on the list of supported devices.

Hope to get some help here, as the world cup 2014 is approaching

Best regards, Daniel

• Re: Sony RDR-HXD970 - Please add remote control
          alanrichey42 Master

I've just checked and as far I can see the 970 and 870 use the same codes.   The 780 also uses the same codes and I builr a Custom Remote for that box here:  Sony RDR-HX780 DVDR

Worth a try ?

ppstyle

Hello Alan. I will try it right away. Thanks a lot for Your suggestion.

Best regards, Daniel

ppstyle

Hi Alan. Unfortunately the result is the same as when I use the remote control for RDR-HXD870...The screen freezes a second and then nohtings happens and the slingbox just continues to play the same channel.

Funny is it however, that the remote for RDR-HXD870 is 100% idebtical by the look.

Do You have other suggesitons I could try ?

Regards, Daniel

alanrichey42 Master

All my suggestions are in the Readme file.  Have you not read it ?

ppstyle

I have read Your readme file. Several of times actually.

I could be misunderstanding something. But there is no obvious suggestion to try.

ppstyle

Hi Alan. Thanks for Your kind help. I have tried to list the checklist from the readme file:

1.   What model Slingbox do you have?

2.   Was there any error message after you typed in the Code and tapped the Test button ?

No

3.   Did you give the commands plenty of time to react ?  (I have a DVR that takes about 6-8 seconds to power up/down)

Yes

4.   If you are using a Solo did you try both BIN files ?

Not using solo but tried both files anyway

5.   After completing the setup do any of the buttons work ?

Yes the sound worked from using model RDR-HXD870. But I have read it just means the slingbox is controlling the volume and not the device You try to invoke.

6.   If you are installing on a Solo or Pro-HD or older box, have you used a Digital Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button ?  (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster thorugh the viewfinder while you tap a button.  You should see a white (not red) flash).  If you are using a 350/500 have you tried using the external blaster ?

I did not try to use the external blaster. Dont think it makes sense, as I'm only using the slingbox over the internet. Or did I miss a point here?

7.   Have you experimented with the placement of the IR Blaster ?  On some devices this is critical so don't give up too quickly.

Again not relevant as I will only use the slingbox remotely over the internet.

8.   Are you sure the device is working correctly using the real remote ?

Yes

alanrichey42 Master
                              6.   If you are installing on a Solo or Pro-HD or older box, have you used a Digital Camera to confirm the IR Blaster is actually firing when you tap the Power button ?  (Watch the tip of the IR Blaster thorugh the viewfinder while you tap a button.  You should see a white (not red) flash).  If you are using a 350/500 have you tried using the external blaster ?

I did not try to use the external blaster. Dont think it makes sense, as I'm only using the slingbox over the internet. Or did I miss a point here?

7.   Have you experimented with the placement of the IR Blaster ?  On some devices this is critical so don't give up too quickly.

Again not relevant as I will only use the slingbox remotely over the internet.

Yes, you are missing a point. This has nothing to do with the Internet.  Your 500 has an internal IR Blaster that is sending a signal to the DVDR.   If the line-of-sight is blocked or the boxes are too far apart the signal may not be getting through.   The external blaster allows you to get the IR transmitter closer to the DVDR.