37 Replies Latest reply: Apr 13, 2015 7:45 AM by davekrek RSS

Web Slingplayer doesn't work in any web browser.

qubilist

I just bought a Slingbox PRO HD refurbished about 2 weeks ago.  I was able to use my Slingbox with the web browsers and Android apps. 

However today I can't connect via any web app.  It is connected but just a black screen.

I go on to my Android tablet and it works and if I use the Windows Desktop Legacy software it works however the quality seems to be very low.

Why doesn't it work on my browsers?

• Re: Web Slingplayer doesn't work in any web browser.
          jfourman

Same problem here. I few days ago, my wife was "slinging' and suddenly the picture went black. Now, the Web Slingplayer shows a black screen on multiple Windows 7 and 8 screens. We have tried both IE and Chrome. It is interesting that although the screen is black with no audio, you can contol the TV with the remote. The Slingplayer Android and Slingplayer Windows 8.1 Metro apps work fine. ...The only problem is with the Web Slingplayer.

Jason.G.Sling Newbie

Hello qubilist,

Have you tried testing your speeds with the home network? Our desktop software uses the Local Area Network(LAN). Which our website uses your upload speed to send to our servers and back to the device you are viewing with. I linked an article below that will inform you of the minimum requirements for your Slingbox. Please use speedtest.net to confirm your speeds.

Cheers,

Jason

Sling Media Technical Support

Maxcats Novice

And gone again - stuck on initialising.

But plays on iPhone, Android, Desktop Player and WDTV.

But not on WEB player.

Something has changed at your end Sling.

Jason.G.Sling Newbie

Hello Maxcats,

Have you tried another computer on same network. I have seen this issue before usually caused by a program that you have installed on the computer or Anti virus. Whats the Windows or operating system you are using?

Cheers,

Jason

Maxcats Novice

Windows XP which has worked perfectly - then vanished with no changes then came back - now gone again - with no changes made here.

I'll try VISTA later today - but this is issue is being reported in the UK, New Zealand and USA.

qubilist

I have tried on multiple computers.  It doesn't matter it's the same thing.  No new programs were installed on the computers.  Also when it does work the quality if very low.  It's not streaming in HD.  It's pretty bad.

Jason.G.Sling Newbie

Hello qubilist,

Have you tried testing the home network to confirm that the upload is meeting the minimum requirement for the Slingbox. You can test this at speedtest.net. I listed below an article that will show what the minimum requirement needs to be meet in order to stream in HD, Low upload speed can cause sporadic connection as you described.

Cheers,

Jason

Maxcats Novice

Not Supported and not working are two very different things.

It worked perfectly for 18 months (while officially not supported on XP) and this week has stopped then re-appared and then stopped agin.

What has changed at your end?

stanley.sling Apprentice

Hello Maxcats,

The only thing that Sling Media could have changed that could result in loss of compatibility with your computer and our website would be either:

1. An update for the SlingPlayer browser plugin.

OR

2. An update to the Newwatch.Slingbox.com webpage itself.

Your best option at this point in time would be to upgrade your Windows PC to Windows 7 (or better) or continue using the Legacy Desktop SlingPlayer

I apologize for the inconvenience,

Stanley

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team

qubilist

This is happening to more than one person.  I don't think it's an isolated incident.  Everything worked fine on my computers (plural) until something changed over Memorial Day weekend.

I am on Windows 7 and Windows 8 and they don't work consistently in the browser.  Nothing else has changed on my PC's and all of a sudden I just get a black screen.  I can hear the sound but no video!  I played around a little more and if I changed the stream quality to the lowest setting I could see the video but it is very pixelated.

I have 50 Mbps/6 Mbps upload both at the Slingbox source and my PC destination.

This is an unacceptable solution to use the desktop player which is of lower video quality.

If I can't get this fixed I will be returning the unit.  I am glad I just purchased this and still have the ability to return the Slingbox Pro HD.

DaytonaZ33

This is on your end Sling. Either on your backend or in your plugin, this is something going on with you.

I reinstalled Windows 8.1 from scratch, only loaded  one piece of software: Firefox 29, with only one plugin: your Slingbox  player plugin, and it still doesn't work on Firefox. Sits on "Connecting  to My Slingbox" until an error pops up saying "SlingPlayer Web Plug-in  may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the plugin  now, or you can continue to see if the plugin will complete."

I can get it to work from Internet Explorer, but not Firefox. Which means at the very least your Firefox plugin is broken.

Setup

Slingbox 350, wired directly into Asus RT-N66U router.

OS:  Clean install of Windows 8.1U1, no software installed other than  Firefox 29 and your plugin. When Firefox 30 came out, updated to that  with no change.

PC:

Core i7 930 CPU

24 GB PC3-12800 RAM

nVidia GeForce GTX 670 GPU

OCZ-Vertex 4 250GB SSD

WD 1TB HDD

Asus RT-N66U Wireless N Dualband 2.4/5GHz Router.

Comcast 105/25 Mbps Down/Uplink

alanrichey42 Master

Jason

Our desktop software uses the Local Area Network(LAN). Which our website uses your upload speed to send to our servers and back to the device you are viewing with.

Eh ??   This is not what we have been led to believe before.  As I understood it the web player only uses the servers to handshake and the actual stream goes over the LAN.

If what you say is true then for anyone on a capped Internet this could be disastrous.   But I use my Slingboxes a lot on my LAN using the web player and I have not seen excessive usage.

Are you really sure about this ?

JLaing87

I too am having this problem as of the last two days. I am on Windows 7. I haven't installed any new software. I do meet the minimum speed requirements. I have tried in my multiple browsers. I have tried on multiple computers. I have deleted and re-installed browsers, plugins and extensions. I have temporarily disabled Antivirus software. NOTHING IS WORKING. I have used my slingbox for a year with no problems, and just in the last 48 hours it has crashed out.....What;s going on Slingbox.....

alanrichey42 Master

First point is that this is not a failure at Sling, otherwise we would be drowning under posts, and so far you are the only one.  So he problem lies either with your setup or your Internet Provider.

Secondy, "Nothing works" is a pretty useless statement, it doesn't tell us what your symptoms are so it is impossible to help.    Please be a LOT MORE specific.

Al

ACC98251

Maybe the reason you are not drowning in such responses is that it took me a week to even find this post to do this and most people would never waste as much time as it takes to find a way to inquire or complain.  They will simply return it or stop using the service.  Possibly they do this to make it so that we buy the newest and latest they have to offer.  I hate to be cynical, but this is insane how difficult it is they make it to find help here.  Slingbox is very unhelpful in solving problems such as this.  My conditions mirror those of the prior poster.  I can't access slinbox watch in any browswer.  I too have changed nothing, but no access anywhere.  I had to go back and download the old slingplayer stand-alone from years ago to get it to work. Also, I have no problems with my tablet or phone accessing my slingbox, it is just that Watch through the browsers does not work at all, period.   The bottom line is that Slingbox does everything possible to not be helpful. Their customer service is nearly non-existent. I am on Windows 7 and have tried Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome.  They used to work, but now they don't.  The last time I tried was few months ago when it worked.  Now it doesn't, except it works on my android tablet, my android phone, and on the old slingplayer stand-alone software works on this computer.  Unfortnately, you go away on vacation and have to deal with this garbage.  Thanks alot.  Someone has some explaining to do.

alanrichey42 Master

It's no good shouting at me, I have nothing to do with Sling , I am just a user like you, except I have no problem using the Web browser with Windows 7.  And I stick by my statement about drowning, 2 people with the same problem still proves it is a problem at the user end rather than at the server end.    And to be fair to Sling, this forum was always intended as a community asset for other users to offer help rather than a support forum.  The moderators often point to articles in the KB that will help, but they are not engineers so cannot offer any specific technical help.   If you want proper technical support you have to ring their support line (and pay for it if you are out of warranty)

Again it is difficult to suggest anything as you don't tell us what error message you are getting.  "Can't access"  could be caused by a multiple of problems.  And you haven't told us any steps you have taken to fix it.  For example have you tried deleting the plug-in on Firefox and then letting it reinstall ?   Have you reset the Slingbox ?   Are you talking about accessing it locally or remotely ?    Lots more info needed.

BTW, I agree 100% that Sling Media support is not the best in the world, I get as frustrated as you with them, but there's nothing we can do aboiut that, since they were swallowed up by Echostar they have become like every other large Company and impervious to criticsm.

ACC98251

Now that I am home from my overseas trip for 2 weeks.  I have determined that the problem is an easy one to solve.  The problem is that the Sling Box advertisement comes up for the new M1 and you simply have to close this advertisement out by clicking on the x in the upper right hand corner, or you have to press continue on the advertisement. When it said click to continue, I assumed this was to purchase the Slingbox.  Of course, jet lag and confusion about being overseas didn't help.  If it just went and connected like it is supposed to, it would have saved me a lot of effort and time.  You see, it goes to connect, starts intializing, then goes to the M1 advertisement insted of connecting like it is supposed to.  Slingbox, I am really unhappy about this.  Thanks again.  I really appreciate it.

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

mryoung001

I had a similar problem. I could watch on my laptop, but not my desktop. The plugin kept crashing on my desktop. When I removed it and tried to reinstall it, it kep cycling back to the install page.

I could not watch using ANY browser.

Tried disabling other plugins, disabling virus checker, etc.

THEN I FIXED IT!

I reinstalled my video drivers. In my case I have the AMD Radeon HD 6450. I Googled it, got eh AMD driver page, and ran their software. Works fine now.