5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 3, 2014 9:21 AM by bldxyz RSS

Slingbox 500 and HDMI configuration

bldxyz

Hi...

I've read/seen the instructions on setting up the Slingbox 500 with HDMI, doubling the cabling using component.

It strikes me that I would lose digital sound if component is required to send HDCP content along to my AV receiver if I configured it that way:

Set Top Box -> Component and HDMI -> SlingBox -> HDMI -> AV Receiver.

So my question is: what if I just send Component to Slingbox and send HDMI direct to my AV Receiver:

Set Top Box -> Component -> Slingbox

Set Top Box -> HDMI -> AV Receiver

?

My assumption is that I would only get 1080i from Slingbox, but do I lose anything else? I would think this would be a better trade, since I would still get digital audio (5.1) on my HDCP content... which is kind of the point of having the AV Receiver in the loop to begin with.

• Re: Slingbox 500 and HDMI configuration
          ferguspa Apprentice

With this:

Set Top Box -> Component -> Slingbox

Set Top Box -> HDMI -> AV Receiver

You run the risk of Selectable Output Control (SOC) issues, discussed here.  Even without SOC, you also may possibly not be able to view any HDCP programming if your TV is off (because the STB and the TV cannot complete a HDMI handshake and thus will not feed video out the HDMI or component outputs).

That said the above is exactly how I have my DirecTV HR24, Slingbox 350, and TV wired.  Since DirecTV doesn't have SOC enabled on its STBs the only thing I lose is HDCP-protected channels/content.

bldxyz

Thank you! (I have a DirecTV THR22, so I'm happy to understand that SOC isn't an issue there, at least at the present time).

So I think I'm going to give it a try that way, just to see what I lose. I'm not aware of what content I have that is HDCP-protected (besides HBO, and for that, HBO-GO is a fine route that I already use).

ferguspa Apprentice

Not sure about SOC and the TiVo-based DVRs.  Can only speak to the HR-XX platform--sorry.

bldxyz

No worries. I'll give it a try and possibly report back here. It seems worth a shot.

bldxyz

So I finally hooked it all up (it didn't actually take me long).

THR22-100 -> AV Receiver (HDMI) -> TV (Existing, kept the same)

THR22-100 -> Slingbox 500 (Component) -> AV Receiver (HDMI) -> TV (new)

Works!

At first, I thought I wouldn't even need to hook up the Slingbox to the AV Receiver/TV, but I needed to for configuration. I don't expect I'll need to maintain that connection, but my main goal was to avoid having the Slingbox in between my Source and my TV. Essentially, I didn't want another complication to that chain. So now I have two paths from the set top box instead of one.

The best part is that, at least so far, I was able to stream HBO to my iPhone and to my latop. I didn't expect that.