15 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2010 5:20 PM by pmdm81 RSS

setting up slingbox solo abroad

kenjidnb

Hi,

I am looking into installing the slingbox solo in my parents home in France. I just bought the US version and tested it here, works like a charm. Now for installing it in France, I am trying to prepare the migration to hopefully avoid any compatibility issues.

Power and video connectors are differents over there so I had bought a 100Watts power converter (220Volts in France) and a scart to rca adapter. The router over there is also a DHCP server so the network should not be a problem unless there is a limitation to stream from one country to another.

I am now hoping that this is enough and that the slingbox will stream as well as it does here. Is there anything else I should think about before going there?

• Re: setting up slingbox solo abroad
          oattia

I just connected my SlingBox solo in Paris. I have both SFR/neuf Box and FreeBox. On both cases, using sling.com setup I cannot find the remote control. Any idea?

attia - slingsetup free - june 30 2010.bmpattia - slingsetup neuf - june 30 2010.bmp

kenjidnb

Did you try "other" (autre) in the list.You should try several generic codes and see which one will work with your box. That's what I will have to do as well because TPS-sagem is not in the slingbox remote list.

Where did you buy your slingbox? Did you need a power converter?

kenjidnb

So this could be an answer to my own question.

I was able to succesfully install my US slingbox in my hometown in france. The satellite set-top box that my parents have is an old sagem ISD 2210. I don't think this model is still sold over there. The first scart(peritel) to rca adapter that I bought wasn't working. I then found out that the adapter was wired to work as an input plug only. So I bought the right adapter, the one with the output/input switch and then I could get audio/video signal into the slingbox. I just mention it because the US slingbox solo version doesn't include the scart to rca adapter, only the UK version does.

I also had to use a 100W 220Vto110V AC power converter.

But my major struggle was with the remote. The sagem isd 2210 was not listed at all and I had also tried every generic codes available during the slingbox set-up. None of them was working. Finally I found out about the remote code learning feature of the slingbox, that's really impressive (http://betaremotes.slingbox.com)!

After installing the proper plugin on firefox I started to teach my slingbox every IR signal coming out of my original remote control. I was able to teach  most of the controls to the slingbox, and just a few keys (power/5/2/exit) are not working but I need to try the set-up again.

--

kenjidnb

agam2245

I'm having some trouble with my Slingbox from abroad as well.  My wife just bought a Slingbox Solo in the U.S. and she has successfully set it up and been able to view it from her computer when she is within the network as well as viewing remotely using SlingPlayer for Mac.  However, I am in Ireland and am unable to get remote viewing to work.

I'm running the 64-bit version of Windows 7, which I understand is not compatible with Watch on Slingbox.com.  So I've downloaded SlingPlayer 2.0 for Windows, and everything I've read indicates that it should be compatible with my operating system.  But no matter what I do, I can't seem to connect to my Slingbox.  I am able to log into my account, but when I try to add my Slingbox to the directory using the Slingbox ID I get the following error message:

"We can't add this Slingbox to your Sling Account right now.  You can still use it normally.  The next timne you connect to this Slingox, try addingit to you Sling Accont again."

I can get it to add the Slingbox to my directory if I use an IP address instead of the ID.  But then when I try to actually connect, I get error code 0x8007274c, saying that it's unable to detect my Slingbox, possibly because I'm outside the network.

I've tried going into Windows Firewall and ensuring that SlingPlayer is in the list of allowed programs.  I even tried turning Windows Firewall off completely.

It seems like everything must be set up properly at home, in terms of router and network settings and everything else, because my wife can use remote viewing.  I suspect there may be some other Windows 7 compatibility issue that I'm overlooking, but I'm fresh out of ideas.  Any advice would be hugely appreciated; thanks in advance!

kenjidnb

As far as I know there is no limitation to stream from one country to another. I am watching my France based slingbox from here in california every day.

You said your wife can watch the slingbox from the internet (i.e. from somewhere else than the network on which the box is hosted)? If so, there is no reason that you cannot watch it as well. The error message make it seem like you are not connecting from an authorized account. Maybe I'm wrong but just make sure you are accessing it from the same account than your wife is (login to slinplayer with her login ID).

If it still does not solve the problem, try to connect from a different computer, you don't need to install the slingplayer application, open up a web browser and connect to http://watch.slingbox.com.

agam2245

I definitely am using the same login that she uses.  She set everything up when she was in the network of course, but then she took her computer to school with her and was still able to connect from outside.  So the box is definitely configured for remote viewing if it works for her.  That leads me to believe it's something on my computer specifically.  I'll have to see if I can try it on another computer here to make sure it works.  I'm just out of ideas.  I've tried everything I can think of with firewall settings, etc. and I'm still not having any luck.

pmdm81

Hi,

I have a quick question for you guys.

I live in California and would like to install one at my parent's house in France.

I read that you bought your slingbox in the US. Do you recommend me to buy one in France?

If so which model should I buy?

And will this work with Canal Satellite?

Thanks