14 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2011 4:01 PM by earlthecableguy RSS

New cable HD DVR (Samsung SMT-H3270) Time Warner Cable not in list?

fuzzynco

We were given new HD DVR Time Warner Cable (Raleigh/Durham NC) DVRs, that model and the one HD Receiver Samsung SMT-H3260 (it uses same

hardware without the hard drive, same firmware/software) isn't the list of supported sources, are there plans to support it?

The DVRs are dual tuner, and I use the HDMI output for the TV / Monitor planned on using component (3 wire) video for Slingbox.

Thanks

• Re: New cable HD DVR (Samsung SMT-H3270) Time Warner Cable not in list?
          eferz Expert

As far as connectivity goes, watchout about connecting HDMI and analog connections.  Some DVRs will disable the analog ports if the HDMI is used.

For control of that box, our remote guru would probably be able to help you out as long as its supported by Logitech's Harmony Database .  Or if you're impatient then check out the bookmarks section for other resources.

BrandonC Novice

Try "Time Warner" and Explorer 8300 and see it it works.  Some of the Samsung boxes use the same.

Also what SlingPlayer program are you running?

alanrichey42 Master

I agree, the SA Explorer definately uses the samer codes as this box.

If it doesn't work get back to me and will try and figure it out.

• New HD cable box (Samsung SMT-H3260) from Time Warner Cable not in list?
                    wilbur48 Newbie

I picked up a new Samsung SMT-H3260 box from Time Warner Cable yesterday in Milwaukee to be used as a dedicated Slingbox stream on my home network.  I have maintained a Slingbox Classic since it was released on a friend's network and I would like to put a Solo into service at my house.  I have installed the Solo using component cables but I can't get past the IR installation.  (Side note, I initially used HDMI between the H3260 and the TV, but the component output was disabled with the HDMI cable in place so it's all component now.)  I have tried two different locations near the upper right corner of the H3260 with each of the stock IR blasters to no avail so I can't complete the setup routine because I don't know if the two potential IR sensor locations were accurate and/or if any of the codes that I tried were correct.

I Googled for an appropriate equipment manual and the one from TW made no mention of the IR sensor location.  Samsung's own website didn't have anything worthy of note.  TW Technical Support was next to useless when queried about both the location of the IR sensor as well as the appropriate code for their device.  The rep took forever to understand what I was trying to do, after much consultation ended up having no idea about where the IR sensor was and gave me 413 as the code.  I had already tried 413 in one of my failed attempts. 

The documentation that came with Time Warner's Synergy V remote said that it was programmed to use the same codes as the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000 which comes in two models.  The SARA-RT-U59C version's code is listed as 412.  The Passport-RT-U61CP version's code is listed as 413.  I also manually tried multiple SA codes (004, 005, 006) as well as the listed SA and Time Warner codes in the setup program.  My remote works fine with the box, but nothing has worked so far with the Solo setup.  I really need to confirm the location of the IR sensor first.

Could someone please throw me a bone?

wilbur48 Newbie

The Scientific Atlanta 8300 codes do indeed work.  My problem was properly locating the IR receptor.  If you position the IR blasters that come with the Slingbox just to the left of the blue power indicator on the Samsung, everything works.

UserG

Hello to everyone with this problem. It is very fixable and it is really easy!!

My remote didn't work and I went right to tech support which were not super helpful but very nice. They suggested I go to forums for the answers and after sifting through I found it.

Here is the problem and it is really stupid! The IR receiver for the cable box is NOT in the top right corner as it obviously looks to be. Repeat it is NOT in the top right corner.

The IR receiver is just to the LEFT OF THE BLUE LIGHT POWER INDICATOR.

How stupid is that? That is half of the issue right there.

Answer:

1. Use the Scientific Atlanta 8300 8300 HD remote. No question about that.

2. Point your IR wire at the area TO THE LEFT OF THE BLUE LIGHT POWER INDICATOR.

3. End of story!

Peace

earlthecableguy

Since I work for Time Warner I thought I should chime in on this particular subject. There may be a sensor possibly just to the left of the blue light. But as a tech who has installed literally hundreds of these cable boxes I can assure you that there is a sensor right next to the power button. It looks like a round circle of plastic which oddly enough looks just like an IR sensor, huh who would of thunk it. So the next time you have a cable question ask a tech not some random people on the internet.

eferz Expert

earlthecableguy wrote:

So the next time you have a cable question ask a tech not some random people on the internet.

--

Though it may not always be the case but sometimes "random people on the internet" are the ones who actually understands the issue.  Or should I quote wilbur48, who was the one that actually had "location issues"...

--

wilbur48 wrote on Jul 30, 2010 12:31 AM:

I Googled for an appropriate equipment manual and the one from TW made no mention of the IR sensor location.  Samsung's own website didn't have anything worthy of note.  TW Technical Support was next to useless when queried about both the location of the IR sensor as well as the appropriate code for their device.  The rep took forever to understand what I was trying to do, after much consultation ended up having no idea about where the IR sensor was and gave me 413 as the code.  I had already tried 413 in one of my failed attempts.

--

...whom incidently resolved it on his own.

--

wilbur48 wrote on Aug 30, 2010 2:11 PM:

I posted a follow up to my original post.  I tried to get it to work using the upper right corner and that is NOT the location. The location of the IR receptor is just to the left of the blue power indicator.

--

But, thanks for giving us the true location and the answer to his problem.... almost an entire year after it was already resolved.