8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 15, 2010 1:13 PM by Akilla21 RSS

Slingbox Service Fees

Akilla21 Newbie

I have a colleague that has stated Slingbox has a support fee that incidently tied into the connectivity fees. Has anyone experienced that? I"m now disconnected but it is unclear why. I have not called Slingbox for service, but I wanted to see if others have experience this situation.

Clearly, the line of service that I'm recieving is worth Slingbox attaching a fee, but that should be advertised in the beginning. But why would they hide the fee, if it's really for connectivity through their servers or backbone networks?

Akilla21

• Re: Slingbox Service Fees
          eferz Expert

There is no connectivity fees for the Slingbox.  The Slingbox is its own server which rebroadcasts what it "sees" and "hears" over the network.  The Slingplayer client connects directly to your Slingbox to watch its streams.  So, there are no fees from Slingmedia for using watching your own Slingbox.

The only fees that I can think about is the technical support fees if you're Slingbox is out of warranty and you need technical support.

I am curious, you're the second person to come up with such a question (https://community.sling.com/message/7017#7017).  Where are you getting this misinformation?

Akilla21 Newbie

Yes, that is what I'm referring to. But what a buddy of mine experienced is his connection failing. Slingbox offering service to help get it back online but he was OOW (out of Warranty) customer. And with the help of paying 49.99 for 2 years of support his connection was restored within minutes.

How did Slingbox help resolve the problem? Port 5001 was disabled on Slinbox/Device ID. Port 5001 was forwarding on both sides of his connection and both sides has high bandwidth internet with no failures. I don't mind paying sling a service fee, if they call it a service or connection fee. But list the fees up front in the beginning.

eferz Expert

I think the fees that you mention is similar in hiring GeekSquad.  Its more of a convenience fee to help you with your technical issues beyond the standard terms of service.  Like bribing the neighbor's kid with cookies to mow your lawn for you.  There are plenty of free resources available from this website to help troubleshoot the issue on your own.  And you're of course more than welcome to ask questions on this forum for free advice.

eferz Expert

Incidently, if you're unable to connect to your Slingbox remotely, the problem is most likely have to do with Port Forwarding on your router in relation to the Slingbox service.  Either that or the broadband provider is blocking the port which the Slingbox is using (default 5001).  If this is the case, you can change the port to a more common port like 80 (HTTP) or 443 (SHHTP).  Or they're blocking the port's transport layer in which should make sure both TCP and UDP is forwarded.

Akilla21 Newbie

My co-worker that I with everyday. And I introduce him to Slinbox, when I arrived in Europe. We discussed his problem today that he experienced this past weekend. It also, said some things that I ruled out, such as SlingMedia removing the Fwd port from his US based router. I knew that was impossible, but to block port 5001 for his device is possible.

To purge the ARP tables and have connections re-establish as a means of learning what device ID's have reached the 90 expiration date. I will check back in 30 days with my device reaches it's end of warranty to fully validate my co-workers statements.

eferz Expert

Sounds like your co-worker is experiencing a self-induced technophobic conspiracy.

Akilla21 Newbie

LOL... Anything is possible. And just to confirm, my network outage is related to the state-side end. The cable company is correcting the HD cabling. But... I will still check back with you in 30+ days to see if my goes down and doesn't come back up.

I can't accept my ISP allowing the connection to pass for 89 days and on the 90th day they become smart and say, "Let me disconnect this 3000kbps connection, using port 5001 that I see in the IP header packet that I'm scanning and actually spoofing to see what they are passing through my network".

What a very nosy ISP.

eferz Expert

They couldn't "see" what you're streaming anyways.  The Slingbox employs SlingStream 2.0 to the Slingplayer.  Its an encrypted stream that depending on the attached client encapsulates either WMV7/9 or H.264 video and WMA, AAC, or PCM audio streams.  They can; however, see the connection source and destination points and measure the bandwidth usuage.