8 Replies Latest reply: May 17, 2014 5:30 PM by Jason.G.Sling RSS

Roku remote - No direction keys

gotok

I have a Roku player connected to the composite input of my Slingbox Pro HD. It works fine on my PC. However, on my Slingplayer Android app for phones, I can't access the direction keys. When I tap the remote icon, the icon with three buttons (directions keys, number keypad, MISC) comes up as it should. However, when I tap the directions keys button, nothing happens. Until recently, I was using the Android app with my old Slingbox A/V, and the directions keys were working. However, they no longer work on the A/V either. Anyone know what may be going on, or can offer a solution?

thanks...

• Re: Roku remote - No direction keys
          Jason.G.Sling Newbie

Hello gotok,

If it worked with old slingbox there is no reason for this not to now. Have you tried unistalling and reinstalling app on the andriod device or tried reconfiguring the input for the input currently being used. I have listed some links below to help you on your own if you would like assistance with this issue please call 1-877-GO-SLING so we can better assist you with your issue.

Best Regards,

Jason

Sling Media Moderation Team

alanrichey42 Master

Jason

I am seeing this as well on my Android app so it must be a problem at your end.  If I tap on the Misc option I get 'Back' & 'Home', if I tap on the keypad icon I get the keypad, but tapping on the direction button icon I get nothing displayed.  In fact I am not even getting video from my Roku, although everything is working perfectly on my iPhone and on watch.com.

Not sure if it a Roku feed or something gone wrong with the HDMI feed.

Over to you.

Al

gotok

I tried Sling chat support twice. Both times they logged into my account and saw the problem. The first suggestion was to factory reset my Pro-HD and reconfigure it. That didn't solve the problem. The second time, I was told the problem is because it is a custom remote, and that I should request Sling to make a proper remote, and was  given a link to the request page for new remotes. That didn't make much sense to me. I posted this problem here as a last resort hoping that someone else has solved the problem.

Jason.G.Sling Newbie

Hello gotok,

I added notes to your unresolved case with us. Please call in so we can gather nescessary to escalate this case to find a resolution on your issue. When resolution is found will pass it on with this thread. 1-877-GO-SLING the agent will be able to find notes and gather the needed information.

Best Regards,

Jason

gotok

Jason,

Thanks for your help.

I contacted Sling support twice. Following is a summary:

1. On first call I explained my problem of missing direction keys on Roku remote.

2. She logged in to my account and was able see the Roku remote direction keys but had no video

3. She had me uninstall and then download and install the Slingplayer for phones app. I was on 2.9.2 and she said she was 2.9.3

4. After downloading the Slingplayer app, I too could see the direction keys but no video.

5. We left it that I would track down the video problem. End of first call.

6. I confirmed that nothing had changed with the cables so I power reset (i.e. pulled power cable) the Slingbox Pro HD.

7. After the reset, I had video from the Roku but again the direction keys would not come up

8. On second call, he logged into my account and was able to see both the Roku video and the direction keys.

9. He cannot escalate the issue since it works on his lab android device. End of second call

I still don't have a solution but have more questions than before:

1. After reinstall, I am sitll at version 2.9.2. Is there a 2.9.3?

2. I was seeing the direction keys after the reinstall but before the power reset. Why can't I see them after the power reset?

3. Why does it work on the lab device but not on my devices? I have this problem on three different devices: Nexus 4, Nexus 7, and Samsung YP-G70.

UPDATE:

1. On third call, I found that 2.9.3 is a beta version.

2. He logged into my account and did not see the direction keys. He tried both 2.9.2 and 2.9.3 devices.

3. He re-configured my Pro-HD using the custom Roku remote at this link:

https://community.sling.com/servlet/JiveServlet/download/9584-2038/roku-test3.zip

I confirmed that the direction keys work on my Nexus 4.

End of third call.

4. The direction keys now show up on the android slingplayer on all three of my mobile devices.

5. The two "official" Roku remotes in Sling's database do not show the direction keys on my devices.

6. I hope that Sling will examine the custom remote linked above along with the two "official" Roku remotes to find the problem and fix it.

7. For now, I have an acceptable workaround so I will consider this case closed.

Thanks to Jason and the rest of Sling support

alanrichey42 Master

Just to confirm, I am on 2.9.3 as well.   I am using a Slingbox 500 with the Roku connected to the HDMI input, so it has nothing to do with the Slingbox model.   I am NOT using a custom remote, I am using the built in Roku (DVR) remote.   I can stream the Roku perfectly on my PC and on my iOS devices.

If I select the composite input on my Slingbox 500 my Sky TV streams perfectly, then if I switch to the HDMI (Roku) input the picture freezes.

Something definately awry with the Android app.

Later:  Rebooting the 500 has no effect

Jason.G.Sling Newbie

Hello  gotok, & Alan,

As Mr. Goto now knows the issue was resolvec with a Roku Bin file which can be found on thread below. I will be pass this issue on to the engineers that the preset Roku settings are not allowing the directional pad with Slingplayer for cellar devices. Sorry about the delay but Mr Goto called and let us find this resolution till it can be resolved with preset roku remotes.

https://community.sling.com/message/9584#9584

Best Regards,

Jason