2 Replies Latest reply: May 8, 2014 2:56 PM by SoonerDave RSS

Specifying full hostname for slingbox 350??

SoonerDave

Greetings all.

I have what I think is a fairly simple question.

I have a Slingbox 350 that is, right now, working perfectly, and is associated with my ISP-assigned Public IP address. The only problem is that I know when my public IP changes, external connections to my Sling will, obviously, fail.

I have a static hostname that I can use, the address of which is maintained by a Dynamic DNS service, such that pointing to the hostname, rather than the IP address, will always work. Yet I cannot find something as simple as a location in the Slingbox settings where to place a hostname instead of a public IP address.

I've seen numerous articles about using older SlingBoxes with Dynamic DNS services, but they don't apply to the Slingbox 350. Surely there is a way to accomplish this simple setup.

Thanks,

SoonerDave

• Re: Specifying full hostname for slingbox 350??
          OvCollyer Apprentice

What are you using to view the video stream? Have you encountered a problem viewing?

I don't think you need to worry about this - the Slingbox regularly reports it's IP address to your sling account held on the sling servers, so whenever you go to view the stream it first looks up your account and then gets the current IP address.

• Re: Specifying full hostname for slingbox 350??
              SoonerDave

That's the first thing resembling a helpful answer I"ve heard since I first put this question to two different Sling tech folks, each of whom reacted to me like I had spiders crawling out my years.

So, what I'm understanding is that as a matter of its operation, the Slingbox determines the public-facing IP address of its WAN and sends that along with its internal finder ID to Sling, so Sling always knows the proper IP address. That precludes the need for an externally maintained IP address (via Dynamic DNS).

As I looked through some of the Javascript behind the watch.slingbox.com site, I started to suspect that perhaps there was something like this arrangement ongoing, as it was obvious the code sends the WAN IP along with the box's finder ID. It's good to hear that someone confirms this.

Thanks,

SoonerDave