6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2014 1:52 PM by camalus238 RSS

Roku 3 + Android = Frequent Stream Disconnection

battis08

Hi - Is anyone else experiencing frequent disconnects lately (last 1-2 weeks; Could possibly be longer, was out of town when the last update was pushed) with Roku 3 and Android (Nexus 5)?  Prior to this, I've had excellent streaming consistency, and no disconnects.  Now, after maybe 5-10 minutes of viewing, the SlingPlayer app dies, and tells me I have disconnected for "network reasons".  However, if I just watch on the phone directly, or on a computer in the web player, I have no issues.

Thanks!

• Re: Roku 3 + Android = Frequent Stream Disconnection
          Mitchbade

I'm having the exact same problem. This is my first day with the slingbox and it disconnects very frequently while streaming to my Roku. I'm hoping this is a temporary bug and not the normal experience. Very frustrating. Let's hope something gets figured out.

cody.sling Novice

Hello battis08,

Thank you for posting to the Forums. I understand how frustrating this can be. When experiencing frequent disconnects, there are things that have to be taken into consideration.

Is the Roku connected to the Wi-Fi network? Have you tried to hardwire the Roku directly to the router? Have you tried to uninstall and install the SlingPlayer? Have you reset the Roku and the router? Are both the Roku and phone up to date?

Your biggest enemy here is going to be making sure that you have all the proper updates to both devices and your network.

Below is the FAQ article for the Roku.

Hope this helps,

Cody

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team

battis08

Hi Cody,

Thanks for your reply.  I will look into updating the roku.  Since Google Play keeps the slingplayer app up to date, I'm good there.

Is there any reason to think Wifi could be an issue?  I have no problems streaming video through other applications (netflix, hulu, amazon) on the roku, and I have no problem watching sling content on a laptop or directly on my phone, not pushed to the roku.

Thanks,

Sean

cody.sling Novice

Hiyo battis08,

That is an excellent question. You have to remember that not all applications are the same. With keeping that in mind, they all have different streaming rates. Also, those applications are only being streamed to one device not two, like with the SlingPlayer and the Roku. Your internet has to have enough speed to stream it to your phone and then it needs more to stream it to the Roku and while the video is being streamed to the Roku, your phone keeps an active connection for IR signal commands.

All in all, if you don't have an adequate Wi-Fi signal to support streaming to the phone and then to the Roku, it can cause connection issues, streaming clear video, etc.  So, making sure that you have a stable connection will only benefit your viewing experience.

Hope this information helps,

Cody

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team

garyh62

Same problem for me.  Frequent disconnects.  All software is up to date and the Roku has plenty of network bandwidth.

The problem is obviously and unstable $15 app running on the phone.

camalus238 Newbie

I am having this issue as well. Its very annoying.

My home internet has 25 meg upload speed. My cottage has 100 meg download. I am only about 30 miles away.

The stream will last anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 minutes, then the app crashed on my roku3 and I get the error on my phone.

I have forwarded ports correctly. I have uninstalled all apps.

Tried with 5 different phones / tablets. They all crash.

If I just stream to my computer or phones or tablets themselves, it works perfectly. Couldnt be happier. However on the roku 3, it drops like crazy.