5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 14, 2010 11:55 AM by eferz RSS

Slingbox question

tuck0066

I currently live in France, and am considering purchasing a slingbox to be installed in my mother's home, so I can watch American TV while in France. I have a few questions though before my purchase.

Because of the time difference, I would like to hook it up to her DVR so that I can record shows and watch them at my leisure, but her DVR box is hooked up to her main TV.  My main concern is that I don't want to tie up her living room TV, so  I'm wondering if there was any way to get around this?

Please forgive me if these are silly questions, I really am a slingbox newbie!

• Re: Slingbox question
          eferz Expert

Yes, do what I did.  Buy a DVR specifically for the Slingbox and don't hook it up to a television.  Trust me, it will save you hours of headaches and yelling at the kids and what not.

This is a nice one... http://moxi.com/us/home.html

tuck0066

Thank you for your answer - can you describe your setup for me please (ie. how everything is set up together)?

eferz Expert

I currently have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HDC DVR provided by Time Warner.  The video and audio outputs is connected into the Slingbox Pro-HD.  For control, I have the Slingbox's IR blasters pointing at the DVR.  The Slingbox is connected into my network using an Ethernet cable which is connected via D-Link Gigabit Switch (DGS-1008D) and is connect to the internet via D-Link Router (DGL-4100).  Wireless access is provided by D-Link Wireless Access Point (DAP-1522).  This allows me to consume live or recorded televions content from anyone of my computers, laptops, iPhone or iPad from either at home or on the road.

tuck0066

And what is your DVR hooked up to?  Directly to cable?  I guess I'm confused as to how the DVR works if it's not hooked up to the TV (sorry for all the questions - none of this technology existed when I lived in the US, so it's all new to me!)

eferz Expert

Yep, the cable from Time Warner feeds into the DVR.

You basically have to think of the Slingbox as a virtual TV.  It is able to rebroadcast whatever it "sees" and "hears" onto the network.  This allows you to watch whatever your DVR is showing on a computer, laptop, or cellphone using the appropriate Slingplayer Client.

Take a look at this link for an example (http://support.slingbox.com/go/pro-hd-video)