4 Replies Latest reply: May 16, 2014 2:27 AM by RobertWest RSS

Connected devices in UK

RobertWest

I would like to buy a WDTV but the Slingbox website says that the service it is not available outside of the US. Is this still true? I seem to be able to find other users who are using it outside the US, is there any functionality missing?

• Re: Connected devices in UK
          Maxcats Novice

It works in New Zealand. I recently had two days out with connection issues (1003) after 18 months of perfect streaming on my WDTV Hub.

It's back again and works with a stunning image through the Slingpyaer App on the Hub.

cody.sling Novice

Hello RobertWest,

Thank you for posting to the Forums. While I am unable to tell you for certain if a WDtv player will work in the UK. I can clarify that the Slingbox has to be based in the U.S to access the Slingbox on the WDtv player. Which means that the Slingbox has to be setup in the U.S and it does have to stay in the U.S. For more information regarding the WDtv player itself, you will have to contact WDtv support for assistance. Below I have provided the FAQ article for you to look at.

If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please feel free to post back to the Forums.

Hope this helps,

Cody

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team

callanish Apprentice

"I can clarify that the Slingbox has to be based in the U.S to access the Slingbox on the WDtv player."

So those two Slingbox Solo's I have in the U.K that I've been using with a WDTV live box in the U.S for years isn't supposed to work....even though it does.

My experience says otherwise.

Your wdtv live box should work outside of the U.S. I have a wdtv live box in the U.K that connects to a slingbox 350 in the U.S and it also works fine. Biggest issue with these connected devices streaming long distances is the remote delay which can be extremely frustrating, but it will still be functional.

RobertWest

Thanks callanish

I thought it was worth taking a punt and it is working fine. I have the Slingbox installed at home in the UK and can watch it with no problems in France.

I'm not sure why they are trying to disuade customers from buying there goods, if I had known that it wasn't supposed to work I would have bought one of the competing products that advertise that they do work. It seems like they're trying to put themselves out of business.