7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2010 6:22 PM by kavka RSS

No luck installing - keeps looping

kavka

I have the red Slingbox Pro, never set it up before so the firmware is ancient. Trying to do the Web setup, it took a while before the network light would stay solid during the setup steps. Once it did, the setup wizard was not able to load the firmware, so I just went to 'Next.' Then it asked me for my password, and when I put the password in it said it was incorrect (it was the password I'd just made!) and would spit me back to the start again. I used different names but kept the same password with the same results 4-5 times. So, I decided to use the desktop app instead. Every light was solid, I went to do the firmware upgrade, and now the network light isn't on. I can't tell if the firmware is hanging, but if I quit out of it and reset it and try to do it again, the desktop setup doesn't let you bypass the firmware update, which seems to be where it keeps getting stuck. I also can't figure out what kept blocking it from keeping the IP address; I'm on a Mac, no anti-virus/spyware stuff at all.

So, I stopped the firmware update (since it seemed to be stuck/inactive anyways) and I'm going to try and reset it and get it on the network again. Is there anything I need to do to get the install wizard working? Why does it think my password is wrong?

• Re: No luck installing - keeps looping
          eferz Expert

There's a few passwords concerned with the Slingmedia Eco System when you walk through the Setup Assistance.

There's the guess and admin password, these are passwords on the Slingbox which allow you to view or configure and view.

There's the Sling Accounts user id and password, this stores the information for Sling Resource Locator {SRL} and provides access to the Electronic Program Guide (EPG).

There's also the router's user id and password, which Setup Assistant uses to configure remote viewing through Universal Plug & Play (uPnP).

kavka

Adding to this; the Web setup won't work at all because it won't recognize the password (even though it takes it just fine to restart the setup wizard again - I'm using the same password for all of them). I tried the desktop setup again; I got it to the point where I entered the password (which worked), it showed a screen for a second, then the network cut off again - I find it hard to believe that it's a coincidence that the network keeps dropping right at the same exact point in the installation each time.

eferz Expert

Would you mind making a screenshot of the point its telling you that you have the wrong password?

kavka

I'm trying to get back to that screen again; the desktop app (after 4 more tries) was moving along & seemed to be installing the firmware, but it bombed at the end of the process and then was off the network again. I moved the Ethernet cable directly to my router (Airport Time Capsule) and off of the Ethernet hub (in case that was somehow causing a problem, even though the other device on there has been fine), and even though it had the two lights on, it then refused to see the Slingbox. I can say that when I was using the Web app, it had only asked me for one password, and not the two that the desktop app asked me for.

So now I am waiting for the umpteenth 'unplug/plug back in' refresh to get back on the network and I'll try the Web app again; I'm not sure if my passwords took or not from the desktop app attempt. It even saw the TV and was playing fine in the little preview screen during the desktop app setup, but won't let me view anything without the setup finishing.

kavka

So now...

I have the info on the Slingbox page that says that my device was setup & lists all of its info. But, if I go to the desktop app, it says I need to set it up, and I'm afraid to go down that road again. If I go to the Web app, it now says that I no longer need the firmware (so that must have worked), but whever I get to either installer's video setup part, it drops off of the network. I unplug it, wait, plug it back in, the network light comes on it again, and then I get to that video screen on the Web app or the desktop app and poof! there goes the network. So, I can't get past the setup, even though it seems it is set up, it won't let me watch stuff (I tried to put in the ID in the desktop app, but it shows as a big long number & the desktop app said it was invalid, that it needed dashes that aren't there).