2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 22, 2014 2:53 AM by tecknoes RSS

Total Newbie

tecknoes

Hi to someone who can help me!

I live on the Costa del Sol in Southern Spain.  I have a 4Mbps connection to broadband.

I have a friend who will install a Slingbox for me in his home in the UK connected to a Sky HD box.  I do not have a computer or iPad etc.  Is there any way I can get the signal from the Slingbox to my HDMI TV in Spain?

If feasible, can you tell me which Slingbox is best also what equipment do I need in Spain?  

Kind Regards .... Gerry N Hill

Many thanks in advance for your reply

This is probably in the wrong place but I find getting help really confusing .... the "contact us" link does not work at the bottom of the page

• Re: Total Newbie
          garders

Hi Gerry

If you don't have an iPad/iPhone/PC your options are limited but let me give you some info.

Personally I use a Slingbox Pro-HD in the UK with a Slingcatcher connected to the TV here in the USA. Slingcatchers are no longer made but are still available on the internet. They are like a set top box with a remote control and if configured correctly offer a great user experience. The Catchers will only pair with a Slingbox Pro-HD (or Solo for SD) and have an HDMI out to the TV you are watching.

You also have the option of using a Roku box or Netgear Neo connected to the TV. I have a Netgear Neo and although it works fine, I don't like using it because compared to the Catcher it's 1) slow and 2) very user unfriendly if you want to do anything other than watch the same channel. To do anything simple like view the EPG or rewind TV (ie control your Sky HD box) takes multiple menus and key presses and is extremely frustrating. In contrast the Catcher offers high speed of operation and a dedicated remote that you can custom to mirror your Sky HD remote.

The Slingbox Pro-HD has some disadvantages. It only has component input for HD. And only works with 720p or 1080i inputs giving a screen resolution of 540 lines. The result is something slightly less than true HD but nevertheless fine for most viewing applications if you have enough bandwidth at both ends.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Ian

• Re: Total Newbie
              tecknoes

Hi Ian,  Thanks for your reply, it's nice to know there's help out there!  I've done a bit of research since your reply and I think that the Slingbox 350 will be the one in the UK connected to a Freeview box and a WD TV box (don't know which one though??) in Spain.  If anyone out there has this setup I would appreciate some info/help.  Many thanks in advance for any replies    

On 21 April 2014 20:22:56 CEST, garders <answers@slingmedia.com> wrote:              Slingbox Answers Forum        Total Newbie    reply from garders in General Slingbox PRO-HD Questions - View the full discussion   Hi Gerry   If you don't have an iPad/iPhone/PC your options are limited but let me give you some info.   Personally I use a Slingbox Pro-HD in the UK with a Slingcatcher connected to the TV here in the USA. Slingcatchers are no longer made but are still available on the internet. They are like a set top box with a remote control and if configured correctly offer a great user experience. The Catchers will only pair with a Slingbox Pro-HD (or Solo for SD) and have an HDMI out to the TV you are watching.   You also have the option of using a Roku box or Netgear Neo connected to the TV. I have a Netgear Neo and although it works fine, I don't like using it because compared to the Catcher it's 1) slow and 2) very user unfriendly if you want to do anything other than watch the same channel. To do anything simple like view the EPG or rewind TV (ie control your Sky HD box) takes multiple menus and key presses and is extremely frustrating. In contrast the Catcher offers high speed of operation and a dedicated remote that you can custom to mirror your Sky HD remote.   The Slingbox Pro-HD has some disadvantages. It only has component input for HD. And only works with 720p or 1080i inputs giving a screen resolution of 540 lines. The result is something slightly less than true HD but nevertheless fine for most viewing applications if you have enough bandwidth at both ends.   Hope this helps and good luck.   Ian    Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum  Start a new discussion in General Slingbox PRO-HD Questions at Slingbox Answers Forum