4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 2, 2014 3:06 AM by Dsbrookfield RSS

Connecting To Slingbox Remotely

flyou

I am having the worst time watching my slingbox on the road.  I use to be with a cable provider that used my own netgear wireless router.  The slingbox worked perfectly.  Now I have switched over to AT&T UVerse and have to use their router and the issues are as provided below..

Set Up:  Slingbox connected directly to NVG589 AT&T UVerse router. 

My Slingbox works when my computer/phone is connected to my home network.  I can change the channels, turn my cable box on and off, ect.  However, when I am on another internet connection, away from home, it says my slingbox is not connected to the internet.   But, if the cable box is already on, then the slingbox will work fine away from home.  It is only when the cable box is off the slingbox cannot connect.

I have no clue how to remedy this issue.  What I have done so far is attempt to reconfigure my router.  Automatic didn't work.. I attempted manual but I did not have any luck setting up a port fowarding for the slingbox.  This easily could have been because I did not do it right, or this could have been because the settings are not correct.  I have since reset the slingbox to factory default settings.  Still, no change.

Any help please!  I'm stuck.

• Re: Connecting To Slingbox Remotely
          cody.sling Novice

Hi flyou,

I understand that your having some issues connecting to the Slingbox outside of the home network. I just have a few questions that need to be answered to better assist you with this issue.

1. When connecting away from home, is this one specific location or in any remote location?
          2. When connecting outside of the home, which device are you using, smartphone, tablet, computer or a third party connected device (ex. Roku, AppleTV, WDtv, NetGear Neo TV or Sony Internet Player with Google TV)?
          3. Do you have the Slingbox connected directly to the router, or are you using a wireless bridge, powerline adapters or some other form of bridge?
          4. Can you provide the exact setup of the Slingbox with the router?

Awaiting your response,

Cody,

Answers Forum Moderation Team.

flyou

Cody,

Thanks for the reply.  I spent a lot of time researching it.  It finally turned out to be some setting I was missing on my router to set up port fowarding.  Unfortunately, I can't tell you which setting it was.  I spent a lot of time trial and error and then it just worked and I didn't even realize it.  The router they gave me is not one of the ones listed in the easy help settings.  Although it is very similar to its previous version.

Either way it is working now.

Thanks

cody.sling Novice

Greetings flyou,

I'm glad to read that your Slingbox is working properly now. However the issue was fixed, what matters now is that it's up and running.

If you ever have any questions, concerns or issues never forget that were here to help.

Cody,

Answers Forum Moderation Team