5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 17, 2010 10:58 AM by eferz RSS

Using Sling Media with HP Home Server

GeneM

I use Sling box solo and Pro for cable hookup to sling catcher, desktop  and Itouch both remotely and at home. I would like to also be able to access movies off of my HP Media Smart server (windows home server) via the same sling products.  Is this possible with sling?

Thanks for your help

GeneMark

• Re: Using Sling Media with HP Home Server
          eferz Expert

Only with the SlingCatcher via SlingSync

GeneM

Thanks so much for responding to my question.  Seems like sling catcher has so much potential that is not being used and that their product strategy in this area has not moved in two years... pity.

GeneMark

eferz Expert

The average person wants to keep their living rooms as clutter free as  possible.  They don't want to have to use multiple remotes, learn to  deal with multiple user interfaces, and figure out which box needs to be  turned on just to access specific content.  They want to keep things  simple.  Because of this, I honestly think Sling made their mistake by trying to go into the Media Extender market on their own.

Its a market that has been pretty well saturated by Microsoft and their partners like Hewlett Packard, Samsung, Cisco, and D-Link.  Instead of trying to build and support their own hardware, they should have focused on developing and licensing the Slingplayer api out for Apple TV, Microsoft Media Server, X-Box, Playstation, Roku, Vudu, Moxi, Tivo, Boxee, PlayOn, Tversity, MythTV, SageTV, and soon GoogleTV.  If they can get their client software out there on as many platforms as possible (like Netflix) then Slingmedia could focus making money on their Slingbox hardware.

What's gonna happen is that one of the big boys like Microsoft, Google, or Apple is going to figure out that placeshifting television is a "should have feature".  And if they offer it on a non-proprietary ecosystem like DNLA then there will be no use for Sling.

GeneM

I certainly cannot argue with your logic. I would have thought, however, that by now one of the large players would have moved into the slingbox space and really capitalized on being able to move your TV service to where you are. A number of people that I have described and shown the capabilities to and who travel frequently or have a second residence have immediately addded sling... it's easy, no hassle and it works. A big player could put forth a compelling marketing campaign... if they wanted to.

My thoughts have been that someone with a conflicting interest would buy Sling and kill the ongoing development.  SO when I look at the capabilities that are in the sling desktop but not in sling catcher, that they have not cut a deal with netflix, and that they have not enabled / supported easy streaming from  a device like HP media smart server ..... as indications that a competing internal strategy has already taken over....

At any rate... I remain a real fan of Sling Media and remain hopeful that they will continue (perhaps return) to develp  their products because they tend to work very well.

Take care

GeneMark