3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 24, 2014 4:13 PM by stanley.sling RSS

WebSling Player for Dish kills my SlingBox AV

Jim5506

I have a Dish Network Hopper with Sling, a Dish Network Hopper with a Sling Adapter and a SlingBox AV.

My computer is running Windows 8 Pro 32 bit with 2 GB of ram.

I just fired up my Sling Box AV through www.slingbox.com and it worked fine, then I switched to the Dish Network page and tried to view content from my Hopper w/Sling.

I was advised that my DishAnywhere needed to be upgraded to the Dish WebSling Player, so I installed the latest WebSlingPlayer.

I was able to easily connect to my Hopper and view content, but when I switched back to www.slingbox.com to view content on my SlingBox, it says it was unable to connect, please try again later...hmmm.

Numerous attempts to connect all failed.

I did a system restore back to before the WebSling Player install and again my SlingBox Av works perfectly!!

How or why does the WebSling Player kill my ability to use my SlingBox AV in the same computer?

• Re: WebSling Player for Dish kills my SlingBox AV
          stanley.sling Apprentice

Hey Jim5506,

If you are running into issue connecting to your Slingbox AV via Newwatch.Slingbox.com, it may be in your best interest to try the SlingPlayer for Windows (Legacy Desktop Version). Below is a link to the SlingPlayer download:

Please let us know if you run into any further issues!

Stanley

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team

Jim5506

Well, here's a new twist.

I am able to get on my SlingBox Av from my Windows 7 work computer, but not my home computer (also windows 7).

I tried both my desktop (win 7 32 bit 3 GB RAM) and a laptop (Win 7 32 bit 2 Gb ram) at home and both say "there was an error connecting to your slingbox, please try again", but it never works.

So I take the laptop to my office, and viola it connected the very first time.

I have a cable modem at home from Suddenlink, 3GB up 15 GB down, that connects to a Netgear WGR614v9 wifi router.

The SlingBox is connected via a wired connection through a switch (I can't recall the manufacturer - I'm at work) since the Netgear router has only 4 ports an I have about 20 devices running at home.

Could one of these other devcies be a problem (Dish Hopper with Sling, Dish Hopper with Sling Adapter, 3 HD TiVos, 1 Tivo Premiere plus several iPhones an iPad and an iPad mini, not to mention 4-5 computers).

All show up in the router attached equipment and the SlingBox is 192.168.1.254.

Apparently my problem is with either the router settings or the switch, but the connection goes hrough both to the outside world where it works - just inside my home network, it fails to connect.

what should I look for?

What changes might I make yo get it to work internally?

I've seen people who could not get external connections, but not internal was ok, mine is just the opposite.

the curious thing is that the laptop connects to th eSlingBox from work but not at home.

I'll try the legacy software at home on the desktop and see if that helps.

I'm thinking of getting a SlingBox Pro HD from Tiger Direct - they have refurbs for <$60, but would like to get this problem fixed first.

stanley.sling Apprentice

It sounds like the cause of this issue may be the network switch you have the Slingbox hardwired to. As we do not recommend using Ethernet switches for these vary reasons, I recommend hardwiring the Slingbox directly to the primary router and trying to connect from your home computers again.

Stanley

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team