12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2014 8:41 PM by leet2thug RSS

Slingbox 500 was working fine, suddenly stopped working.

bigdud

I'm looking for some suggestions/answers as to why Slingbox on one of the three computers on my network stopped working.  When I launch it, it sits and spins with the rotating arrow for a minute or two, then issues the message "The Slingbox or Internet may be unreachable. Try connecting again."

This is puzzling to me because it had been working fine, and two other computers on the same network work fine. I can't think of anything that has changed, although surely something has. I've tried all three browsers (IE, Chrome, and Firefox), uninstalled and reinstalled the plug-ins, restarted the computer, and have done all the other obvious things.  All three computers run W7.

I'm stumped; if anyone can suggest something I haven't thought of, or has had a similar experience, I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks!

• Re: Slingbox 500 was working fine, suddenly stopped working.
          stanley.sling Apprentice

Hey bigdud,

This is very interesting. It sounds to me like this issue is being caused by a third-party Internet security or firewall program. Check out the link below for more info:

Hope this helps!

Stanley,

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team

bigdud

Stanley...

I turned off Microsoft Security Essentials real-time protection and uninstalled Malwarebytes, and then re-installed the Slingbox plug-in.  Still no good.

Here's a question- does Slingbox require any software other than the plug-in?  Does it require anything in the registry?  If the answer to either or both of these is yes, how can I obtain it?   I deleted a bunch of stuff with Revo uninstaller and am wondering if some of it was for Slingbox...??

stanley.sling Apprentice

You will also want to make sure that your Java and Active X is up-to-date.

Stanley,

bigdud

Installed "latest" Java, now Firefox works OK. 

But Chrome (which is my main browser) still has problems.  It asks me to install the plug-in, so I do and it comes back with the same message again asking me to install.  This message appears at the top of the screen: "Your SlingPlayer Web Plug-in may be disabled. Please enable the plug-in within your browser settings."  However, the Sling plugin does not appear in the plugin list.

IE doesn't work either but I put that on the back burner for now...

stanley.sling Apprentice

Okay, here are the instructions on how to manually add the SlingPlayer plugin to Google Chrome:

1. Select from the upper right hand corner (Customize and Control Google Chrome).
                          2. Choose 'Settings' from the list.
                          3. On the left side of the screen it should show 'Extensions'
                          4. If Slingplayer for Google Chrome is already listed and enabled be sure  to delete it. (If it's not enabled be sure to enable it. This may immediately  solve the problem.)
                          5. Back over to the left hand side select 'Get Extensions'.
                          6. Now on the bottom of this list of extensions that are currently  installed to the computer you should show another hyper-link labeled as 'Get  More Extensions'. This will direct you to the Chrome Web Store.
                          7. Now in the search field of the Chrome Web Store simply search  Slingplayer for Web choose to Install or add the new extension.

You may have to restart the browser after installing the plugin via this  method, but it should work!

Stanley,

bigdud

OK, I was able to get it installed. Here’s a cut and paste from the Chrome extensions:

SlingPlayer Web Plug-in - Version: 2.4.0.63

Sling Player 2.4.0.63

Name: SlingPlayer Web Plug-in

Description: Sling Player 2.4.0.63

Version: 2.4.0.63

Location: C:\Users\JLB\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Extensions\lidgnhlbmoakdjkfhanbhfngcadpaiac\2.4.0.63_7\plugins/npSlingPlayerChrome.dll

MIME types: MIME type Description File extensions

video/x-slingstream Sling Media video stream 

Type: NPAPI

Disable

MIME types: MIME type Description File extensions

video/x-slingstream Sling Media video stream 

BUT- it still doesn’t work.  And it sure seems to be a pretty strange location for the plugin.

btw...should it be this hard to get Slingbox working...???