5 Replies Latest reply: Jun 24, 2010 10:13 AM by eferz RSS

how do I reset slingbox player?

bilsep2

I've changed my wireless connection from Linksys to Apple's wireless Time Capsule when I switched over from a PC to a MacBook.  I loaded the Slingplayer to the MacBook, but set it up incorrectly.    I don't know how to change the settings on the slingplayer program, to "tell it" that the connection is no longer the linksys device, but is now the Time Capsule.  There is no "button" to push on the slingplayer program to change that setting.   I even went as far as to delete the slingplayer program, download and install it again, but, once installed, it skipped the setup process and went right to the player.   Could be that I just haven't figured out how to use a Mac yet.   HELP!!!

• Re: how do I reset slingbox player?
          eferz Expert

Most likely the Slingbox itself is still using the IP configuration from the old router.

I recommend in performing a factory reset of the Slingbox (http://support.slingmedia.com/get/KB-1000038)

and here's some information that might help you reconfigure port forwarding. (http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Apple/AirPortExtreme/SlingBox.htm)

bilsep2

I did the reset, but the program still shows it as not connected - I thought that removing the program and downloading it again would start the setup assistant, but for some reason, it's not happening.

eferz Expert

Nah, deleting the program does nothing for the setup configuration of the Slingbox.

The Slingplayer program cannot access the Slingbox if it does not have a  valid network configuration for your network.

Check the network light of the Slingbox, if it is not lit then it didn't receive a valid IP configuration from your router's DHCP server.

Maybe check the router's list for active DHCP leases, see if it gave one to your Slingbox

kensieczkowski

I am having this problem too. I remove the application and delete the directory Sling Media, but it still will not let me run through the setup again.

Resetting the box has nothing to do with the software on my computer, although I can just use another computer or refomat my hard drive, but that seems excessive.

I'm trying to fix a different problem and think reinstalling will help.  The program just doens't think I can connect to the internet due to some ISP filterng, but they offer very poor error messages.   They should fix the error messages. "Cannot connect to the Internet" doesn't tell the ISP firewall administrator much information !!

eferz Expert

These are some of the sites that Slingplayer and Slingbox will use for it services.

analytics.sling.com
                    autoupdate.sling.com
                    ms.sling.com
                    secure.sling.com
                    services.sling.com
                    sparcs.slingmedia.com

And these are some of the port numbers it will use, 3490, 80, 443, 3074, 3724, 5680

Usually, you wouldn't need to make firewall changes unless you're using a enterprise class firewall.  Since these connections are orginate from within the subnet a private network, standard NAT functionality allow it.

If you're having issues where the Slingplayer respondes with "Cannot connect to the Internet" it could also be due to misdirect ISP issues.