4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2014 12:32 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

SlingBox and DTV Genie

rbpeirce

It has been suggested that I can use a SlingBox to remotely control a DTV Genie box, but I don't understand how.  I can understand that placing it after the output of the Genie will cause it to pick up whatever is being transmitted.  However, I am trying to do everything I could do if I were in the room.  This would include:

Looking at the list of available recordings and deleting individual recordings I no longer want.

Checking to see what is programmed to record and deleting any that aren't desired.

Searching for shows or series to record and adding them.  [DTV's web site does this.]

Using the Genie search mechanism to select shows or series to record.  [If DTV does this I haven't fiugured out how.]

Change the priority of series recordings by moving them up or down the list.

Probably other things I haven't thought of yet.

Can SlingBox actually do all these things?  How?

• Re: SlingBox and DTV Genie
          ferguspa Apprentice

Think of it this way--the Slingbox is a "TV" and it can send commands to the DirecTV box via its "remote".  Controlling the DirecTV box from a Slingbox isn't significantly different than controlling it with the TV and remote control you use when you sit in front of the TV.

rbpeirce

It sounds more like the SlingBox is a remote, rather than a TV, that can send commands to the Genie.  If so, that is exactly what I am after.  However, how does it do that?

ferguspa Apprentice

A Slingbox:

- Has a universal remote built-in

- Is fed video from the TV receiver (and optionally passes it through to another device such as a TV)

alanrichey42 Master
                    It sounds more like the SlingBox is a remote, rather than a TV, that can send commands to the Genie.  If so, that is exactly what I am after.  However, how does it do that?

It's both really.   It takes any video feed and sends it out on the Internet so you can view your video source from anywhere in the world.  But it also can get signals back from the viewer that it will then transmit as IR signals, thereby acting as a virtual remote control.

So. for example, the image shows what I see in my browser while sitting in a hotel in the USA watching my UK Sky box.  You can see on the screen is an image of my remote and if I tap on a button it will just as though I am sitting in front of the box.