7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 13, 2010 6:14 PM by BrandonC RSS

Access Fee

babylonsal

How long before I have to pay an access fee to use my slingbox?

• Re: Access Fee
          eferz Expert

The equipement is yours, the only thing you have to pay for is the television service or broadband services to access it or on it.

babylonsal

I have heard about an access fee to receive the link after a year or so

eferz Expert

That doesn't make any sense.

The Slingbox itself is its own server and the Slingplayer provides clients access to a number of hardware.  The "signal" is transmuted your over local network or out to the public internet.  Its not like we're bouncing data off of Sling's sever.

On a worse case scenario, there could be a fee to use the services provided by the Sling Account, like the Sling Resource Locator or Electronic Programming Guide.  This would be analogous to a Tivo DVR's and the Tivo Subscriptions.  However, I doubt it since the Sling Account isn't a mandatory requirement for the Sling "experience".

http://www.slingbox.com/go/slingbox-prohd-faq

• Are there subscription fees?
                  No. You can watch your TV and its  programming on your compatible cell phone, PDA, laptop or desktop with  no monthly subscription fees. The SlingPlayer software for your PC or  MAC is free, and SlingPlayer Mobile software for your supported phone is  $29.00 (one-time fee). However, in order to watch TV on your cell  phone/PDA using a 3G mobile connection, you do need a data service plan from your carrier, which may be an additional fee.