3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 18, 2014 5:48 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

How do i connect my Slingbox350 to SKY HD box (Amstrad DRX890) and get HD output ?

Fearnhead

Hi,

Not sure if anybody can help or point me in the right direction please.

Recently purchased a Slingbox350.

Reviewing the connections on the back of my SKY HD (Amstrad DRX890W) Sky + HD Digibox I have the following:-

Connections
      - HDMI
      - CVBS Video Output
      - Digital Optical Audio Output
      - Digital Coaxial Audio Output
      - L&R Phono Audio Output (white and red)
      - VCR/DVD Scart
      - Dish input 1 & 2
      - External SATA
      - External Ethernet (RJ45)
      - Modem/telephone connection (RJ11)
      - USB Interface (x2)
      - RS-232 Serial Port
      - i/O Port 1 x 10 pin mini DIN

I have managed to get it working using he VCR / DVD Scart, however, this will only be SD Quality.

I had read and seen a 5 RCA Compnent Video YPbpr RGB + Audio to 1080P HDMI HDTV Convertor, however, this wont work as i do not have the Component Video connections.

I am keen to know how i can get it working so output is HD - any ideas please ?

Thanks

Paul

• Re: How do i connect my Slingbox350 to SKY HD box (Amstrad DRX890) and get HD output ?
          alanrichey42 Master
          I had read and seen a 5 RCA Compnent Video YPbpr RGB + Audio to 1080P HDMI HDTV Convertor, however, this wont work as i do not have the Component Video connections.

Wrong way round.  You need an HDMI to Component convertor such as the HD Fury.   Then you wire up as follows:

Sky HDMI ---  HDFury HDMI IN ----   HDFury Component OUT ---  Slingbox 350 Component IN ---  Slingbox 350 Component OUT ---  TV Component IN

I would point out that this is a rather expensive option and really only useful if you intending to view the Sky box locally, i.e. in another room.   Based on my experience, if you are intending to view it remotely, unless you have a blazingly fast Internet Upload at the Sky box location, you might as well stick with the 'free' SD output from the SCART socket.

• Re: How do i connect my Slingbox350 to SKY HD box (Amstrad DRX890) and get HD output ?
              Fearnhead

Thanks Alan for replying really appreciated.  Your feedback is exactly what i have found from searching other form sites and in complete agreement it is rather expensive option.  There is also reference to a HDMI Splitter - I am assuming if i did go down this route i would need this as well which is additional cost ????

Current set-up still lets me watch HD quality locally through HDMI - just need to select the right input on TV and i think i can live with SD output from the SCART socket when reviewing remotely.

Thanks again

alanrichey42 Master
                  There is also reference to a HDMI Splitter - I am assuming if i did go down this route i would need this as well which is additional cost ????

Not really, as you will still get HD quality if you drive the TV from the component output of the Slingbox.  The problem with all these HDMI 'kludges' is that HDCP, which the Sky box uses, will screw everything up.  The HD Fury is the only HDMI converter that I know of that will strip out the HDCP encryption.

Bottom line is that none of the providers want you to be able to record/repeat/stream their HD content.  Hence the disappearance/disabling of the component outputs and the use of HDCP on the HDMI outputs.