I just thought I share how I connected my Slingbox 350 with my Virgin V+ HD Box (by SAMSUNG) via the component connection whilst still being able to view HD channels, all in Hi-Def, overcoming the HDCP issues.
N.B. One of the requirements here is that you have a component connection on your TV and you will need to spend some additional money of cables and a HDMI to component converter!
As you may be aware, if you own this V+ box, you only have a HDMI and SCART connection to choose from when trying to connect to the Slingbox 350. SCARTS only going to give you Standard definition to your Slingbox and TV display, meaning you lose any HD content and the quality of picture on your main display (which is probably a HD TV) which is just poor in comparison (i.e. to before your introduced the 350 into your setup) if you previously were connecting your V+ box directly to your TV via the HDMI connection.
If like me you were just not happy with this scenario then all hope is not lost! You will need a component (analogue Hi-Def) connection on your TV though and then spend some money on a HDMI to Component converter and probably some additional cables (if you don't have them already?).
You need a HDMI to Component ‘converter’ rather than an adaptor as you need a device that’s going to overcome the issues with HDCP (basically copy right protection); otherwise you are just not going to be able to view your HD channels.
To achieve this I purchased the following
· A HDFuryIII (www.hdfury.com) – HDMI to Component Converter
This is an expensive device (up to $299) but I can certainly vouch that this device ‘works’ and will make the HDCP handshake required to view your encrypted HD content. I chose the HDFuryIII Advanced kit to get all the cables but the basic kit will do, your just need to purchase an additional 3.5mm to RCA stereo audio cable. (The HDFuryII will probably do the job as well but I chose the III).
· 3.5mm to RCA stereo audio cable (if HDFury advanced kit was not purchased).
· HDMI cable.
The Slingbox 350 should have the rest of the cables you need to connect to your TV via the component connection.
How to connect all the devices:
1. You plug the HDMI cable from the V+ box into the HDFury HDMI port.
2. Use the component cable from the HDFury kit and connect this to the component input connections on the Slingbox 350.
3. Plug the 3.5mm jack from the ‘3.5mm to RCA stereo audio cable’ into the HDFury and the other two ends into the red & white audio input connections on the Slingbox 350.
4. Now connect the component cable that came with the Slingbox 350 into the component output connections on the Slingbox 350 and the other end into your TV’s component input connections.
5. Using the RCA audio cable that came with the Slingbox 350, plug this into the audio output on the Slingbox 350 and the other end into the component audio inputs of your TV.
Turn everything on and you should be good to go! Just remember to change the settings on your V+ box to HDMI if you were using SCART and change your TV over to the right channel!
(I’ve left both the HDMI and SCART connections connected to the V+ box for possible trouble shooting).
Enjoy HD quality content on your Slingbox 350 and TV
Hope this helps someone?