10 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2015 6:37 AM by ACC6300822 RSS

Connecting a HDMI/Scart only set-top box via Component and Overcoming HDCP

T59Sihz072

Hi All,

I just thought I share how I connected my Slingbox 350 with my Virgin V+ HD Box (by SAMSUNG) via the component connection whilst still being able to view HD channels, all in Hi-Def, overcoming the HDCP issues.

N.B. One of the requirements here is that you have a component connection on your TV and you will need to spend some additional money of cables and a HDMI to component converter!

As you may be aware, if you own this V+ box, you only have a HDMI and SCART connection to choose from when trying to connect to the Slingbox 350. SCARTS only going to give you Standard definition to your Slingbox and TV display, meaning you lose any HD content and the quality of picture on your main display (which is probably a HD TV) which is just poor in comparison (i.e. to before your introduced the 350 into your setup) if you previously were connecting your V+ box directly to your TV via the HDMI connection.

If like me you were just not happy with this scenario then all hope is not lost! You will need a component (analogue Hi-Def) connection on your TV though and then spend some money on a HDMI to Component converter and probably some additional cables (if you don't have them already?).

You need a HDMI to Component ‘converter’ rather than an adaptor as you need a device that’s going to overcome the issues with HDCP (basically copy right protection); otherwise you are just not going to be able to view your HD channels.

To achieve this I purchased the following

·         A HDFuryIII (www.hdfury.com) – HDMI to Component Converter

This is an expensive device (up to $299) but I can certainly vouch that this device ‘works’ and will make the HDCP handshake required to view your encrypted HD content. I chose the HDFuryIII Advanced kit to get all the cables but the basic kit will do, your just need to purchase an additional 3.5mm to RCA stereo audio cable. (The HDFuryII will probably do the job as well but I chose the III).

·         3.5mm to RCA stereo audio cable (if HDFury advanced kit was not purchased).

·         HDMI cable.

The Slingbox 350 should have the rest of the cables you need to connect to your TV via the component connection.

How to connect all the devices:

1.     You plug the HDMI cable from the V+ box into the HDFury HDMI port.

2.     Use the component cable from the HDFury kit and connect this to the component input connections on the Slingbox 350.

3.     Plug the 3.5mm jack from the ‘3.5mm to RCA stereo audio cable’ into the HDFury and the other two ends into the red & white audio input connections on the Slingbox 350.

4.     Now connect the component cable that came with the Slingbox 350 into the component output connections on the Slingbox 350 and the other end into your TV’s component input connections.

5.     Using the RCA audio cable that came with the Slingbox 350, plug this into the audio output on the Slingbox 350 and the other end into the component audio inputs of your TV.

Turn everything on and you should be good to go! Just remember to change the settings on your V+ box to HDMI if you were using SCART and change your TV over to the right channel!

(I’ve left both the HDMI and SCART connections connected to the V+ box for possible trouble shooting).

Enjoy HD quality content on your Slingbox 350 and TV

Hope this helps someone?

• Re: Connecting the Virgin V+ HD Box (SAMSUNG) via Component
          callanish Apprentice

Would you believe I still have the old Virgin V+ Scientific Atlanta box with the component out connections after all this time allowing me to connect my slingbox to the cable box using a component connection. I've also got a Virgin Tivo box, but I don't use that with the slingbox due to Scart being the only option for the slingbox. I'm just hoping that the component included SA V+ box continues to work for a long time to come or I'll be forced to upgrade to the Samsung or Tivo box and end up having to put money out on one of the HDFury converters to get a decent streaming picture. I'm sure, with what you've gone through, you can see there's a big difference with the picture quality between composite / scart and component / hdmi and that's why I continue to use the older box as it's still providing a 1080 picture through component, plus with the HD channels, the picture quality is more than acceptable when streaming from my slingbox that's 5000 miles away.

Good information that you've provided for others. Scart and composite provide a terrible picture in comparison.

• Re: Connecting the Virgin V+ HD Box (SAMSUNG) via Component
              T59Sihz072

Hi Callanish,

Sorry for the very late reply, I was in hospital for a while but I shan't go into that on here...

I remember the V+ Scientific box with its component out. Would have made this job so much easier though I'm actually really happy I had to go through this process as I learnt a little more about AV and it was fun! Though if you asked my wallet that same question I'm not sure it would agree on the same level

The picture quality is amazing in comparison and I was actually shocked by how good the HD channels looked and I'd say you'd be hard to tell the difference between a straight HDMI connection on the same screen/setup!

I think component is a connection on the way out of most standard commercial products so I think this is likely to be the future! I'm sure Slingbox's next product range will be HDMI over the component connection on all models, so hopefully this will come out before your SA box decides to wave the white flag or you upgrade to a HD and/or another Tivo box.

What ever happens for you I can certainly say that I'm extremely happy with the results of the HDFury device. It is a very expensive peace of equipment but for me it was worth every penny

• Re: Connecting a HDMI/Scart only set-top box via Component and Overcoming HDCP
              ACC6300822

Hi, thanks for posting this message... I wonder can you shed any light on where I'm falling down... I have attempted the same thing with a Slingbox M1 and a Samsung G7400 for UPC but I get a blank video screen - audio does come through. Did you change the settings on the HD Fury III to something other than the default?

I had posted this message: https://community.sling.com/message/116262#116262

I've pretty much done the same thing as you.

How to connect all the devices:

1.    You plug the HDMI cable from the V+ box into the HDFury HDMI port. DONE (except it is a Samsung G7400 for UPC)

2.    Use the component cable from the HDFury kit and connect this to the component input connections on the Slingbox 350. DONE (except it is a Slingbox M1 rather than 350)

3.    Plug the 3.5mm jack from the ‘3.5mm to RCA stereo audio cable’ into the HDFury and the other two ends into the red & white audio input connections on the Slingbox 350. DONE

4.    Now connect the component cable that came with the Slingbox 350 into the component output connections on the Slingbox 350 and the other end into your TV’s component input connections. DONE

5.    Using the RCA audio cable that came with the Slingbox 350, plug this into the audio output on the Slingbox 350 and the other end into the component audio inputs of your TV. DONE

Thanks.