3 Replies Latest reply: Jun 21, 2014 1:45 AM by ACC6063027 RSS

Slingplayer For Windows 8.1 - Changes Channel Without Displaying Any Frames

Panamavet

If anyone has solved this problem I would greatly appreciate feedback.

I installed Slingplayer For Windows 8.1 via the Store several weeks ago.

I have been using the legacy version of Slingplayer for Windows on Windows 8 and 8.1 for a year without any trouble whatsoever.  You need to install the Microsoft .Net Framework version 2 before installing the legacy Slingplayer software.

My Slingbox PRO-HD is configured with a static IP and has the latest firmware installed according to the setup software in Internet Explorer.

Every time I start the Windows 8.1 version it comes up fine.  I select a channel and click Watch.  I get the progress indicator until I eventually receive notification that someone else is using my Slingbox.  It gives up there.  No one is currently using my Slingbox including me.  I have not viewed one single frame of video on Slingplayer for Windows 8.1 since I purchased it weeks ago.

If I then run the legacy Slingplayer it connects and the cable box channel has already been changed to the channel selected inside Windows 8.1 Slingplayer.

This is the first time I have ever experienced a problem using my Slingbox on any device after years of reliable use.  This reliability persists with every option except Slingplayer for Windows 8.1.

I am hoping for an update that will resolve the problem.  I intend to contact support when the time comes that I am home during the hours they are in operation.

TIA

• Re: Slingplayer For Windows 8.1 - Changes Channel Without Displaying Any Frames
          Panamavet

The day I created this thread I got home and clicked Watch on a show icon and got the usual error.

I tried again, as usual, with the button displayed after the error and it worked for the first time ever.

Since then this has become the standard procedure for viewing video.  Click the initial button and get an error after about 20 or 30 seconds.  Click again and wait some more to see the video.

I can live with this until they figure it out.

Thanks!

• Re: Slingplayer For Windows 8.1 - Changes Channel Without Displaying Any Frames
            Panamavet

Considering the not ready for prime time state of the Windows 8.1 application I am sticking with the legacy Slingplayer for Windows application until the new version is finished.

In the new application I have to click through errors to watch video every time I try.

If I breath on my computer an unwanted dialog appears in the center of what I am watching.

There is no slider allowing me to pause, cache video and skip around in the cache when I return.

Did I say that if If I breath on my computer an unwanted dialog appears in the center of what I am watching?

In the guide I have to click click click to watch something.  Give me something to click on or a double-click if I want to skip the description and watch the darn thing.

Did I say that if If I breath on my computer an unwanted dialog appears in the center of what I am watching?

It displays widescreen HD content in a 4:3 window while set to 16:9.  I have to switch to 4:3 and go back to 16:9 to display it widescreen.

Making the mouse cursor disappear is programming 101.  Actually, anyone can Google the necessary code.  I have to manually move it to the far right of the screen.

I am certain that Sling Media can do better than this.  The hardware has done a great job for me.

ACC6063027

I experience the similar issue. When I change channel I have to come out and back into the app to get it to play.

Also I cannot change the channel via the channel # but I have to use the Up/Down in the "remote" app. Do you experience the same?