8 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2010 8:26 AM by eferz RSS

Want to upgrade my Slingbox tuner, what do I need?

Pastor_Bob

I currently have a Slingbox tuner with my cable connected to the Slingbox (I do not have a cable box).  I want to upgrade to a new Slingbox, what Slingbox do I need that will accept a cable input?

• Re: Want to upgrade my Slingbox tuner, what do I need?
          eferz Expert

The Slingbox Pro-HD is the currently the only Slingbox that supports digital signals over coax.  The digital tuner is compatible with unencrypted Quadrature amplitude modulation (clear QAM), Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC), and Over the Air (OTA) signals.

However, if it is necessary to use a set-top box to decode and unencrypt channels then you could use either the Slingbox Solo or Pro-HD.

Pastor_Bob

My cable system is analog, and I don't think there are any plans for it to be upgraded to digital.

eferz Expert

Built-in tuners are only available on the Slingbox Tuner, Pro, and Pro-HD.  The Tuner and Pro have an analog tuner while the Pro-HD has a digital tuner.

Now, make sure there are no plans to upgrade to digital cable.  Since there was an FCC mandate for everyone to go digital (http://www.dtv.gov/affected.html).  You'll want to double check with your cable company.  It would be a shame to have to upgrade more than once in short period of time.

Pastor_Bob

When I look on the Slingbox site all I see is the Solo and Pro-HD.  Is the Pro still available?

eferz Expert

It depends on where you live, currently in the Americas the Slingbox Pro-HD and Solo are the only ones currently supported and distributed.  The United Kingdom supports the Solo and the Pro (http://uk.slingmedia.com/go/slingbox).

Of course, you can try eBay or Craig's List to find one.  Its also possible that some places haven't sold out their remaining stock.  But, as far as new Slingbox Pro units, they're no longer being distributed in the United States.

Pastor_Bob

Thanks for your help.  I will stay with what I have for now.

shanbrad

I totally understand needing to upgrade the Slingbox Tuner to a Solo or Pro-HD, because of the analog/digital switch. I currently get a cable signal from a common carrier, and have only one 'set top box' on one of my TV's. The other TV's in the house have the RG/coax cable plugged directly to them, along with my Slingbox Tuner. Thus the need not to have a newer Solo or Pro-HD.

However, what I don't understand, is why I need to upgrade to one of these newer devices in order to run the Sling Mobile app on an Android phone. What is the big difference between running the Mobile app on Android over Windows? Yeh, the code is different, but the concept is still the same. The 'client' should not care what kind of signal the Slingbox it is connecting to, to get it's signal, as long as it is getting a signal. If I'm off base about this, please explain it to me. I'm all eyes and ears.

Basically, from what I gather about the Mobile app for Android, I'll   have to upgrade to Solo or Pro-HD, and then get another set top box from   my carrier, in order to make a connection between the two. IF that is the case, Sling has just lost future sales from me (whether it be new hardware or a mobile app), even with the coupon incentive to upgrade hardware.

Again, please enlighten me if I am off base.

eferz Expert

shanbrad wrote:

I totally understand needing to upgrade the Slingbox Tuner to a Solo or Pro-HD, because of the analog/digital switch. I currently get a cable signal from a common carrier, and have only one 'set top box' on one of my TV's. The other TV's in the house have the RG/coax cable plugged directly to them, along with my Slingbox Tuner. Thus the need not to have a newer Solo or Pro-HD.

However, what I don't understand, is why I need to upgrade to one of these newer devices in order to run the Sling Mobile app on an Android phone. What is the big difference between running the Mobile app on Android over Windows? Yeh, the code is different, but the concept is still the same. The 'client' should not care what kind of signal the Slingbox it is connecting to, to get it's signal, as long as it is getting a signal. If I'm off base about this, please explain it to me. I'm all eyes and ears.

Basically, from what I gather about the Mobile app for Android, I'll   have to upgrade to Solo or Pro-HD, and then get another set top box from   my carrier, in order to make a connection between the two. IF that is the case, Sling has just lost future sales from me (whether it be new hardware or a mobile app), even with the coupon incentive to upgrade hardware.

Again, please enlighten me if I am off base.

It is not that it can't be used but they're just not supporting it.  If you cruise the forums here, there have been several reports of the Slingplayer Mobile for Andriod to work with Slingbox Classic.  Just about all older Slingboxes have been discontinued except for Slingbox Solo and Slingbox Pro-HD.  So, they're basically saying that if it doesn't work with your particular configuration they can't afford to support it.

Anyways, with the Slingbox Pro-HD, you wouldn't need a seperate box since it has a hybrid analog/digital tuner that supports OTA ASTC and clear QAM.