4 Replies Latest reply: Mar 11, 2014 1:15 PM by Matt.Sling RSS

Can I connect both a Bluray and my Cable Box to my SlingBox 500?

ACC5999792

Hi

I wish to connect both my set-top box (it is connected now) and ALSO my Bluray (or my smart-tv) to the Slingbox, so that when I am away, I can control and watch my Bluray device from abroad and not just my cable box. Again - I want to be able to connect both and not "either".

Can I do that? If I connect the Bluray via Component and my Set-top via HDMI... when I turn off the Set-top box, will my Bluray show?

Thanks

Eli

• Re: Can I connect both a Bluray and my Cable Box to my SlingBox 500?
          alanrichey42 Master

The 3 video inputs (HDMI, Component & Composite) on the 500 are all completely separate so there is no problem connecting 3 different devices.  The only problem is the audio connection.  In theory the HDMI has it's own built-in audio feed and the Component & Composite share the analog (Red/White) RCA connectors.   However, in practice it appears that the HDMI input sometimes uses the analog audio as well.   You just need to check when you have it wired up.

So you may need to split the audio feeds (using an RCA 'Y' splitter) so all 3 devices feed those inputs.   Then you can listen to all 3 devices provided the other ones are turned off.

ACC5999792

Thank you very much. I will try.

As for controlling the Bluray... if I use the set-top configuration for the on screen remote, how do I control the Blu-ray? Are there multiuple remotes that I can use in an alternating way? Do I have to then connect the IR wire and patch it to the Bluray device? But then, when I use the set-top box and view the set top box - wouldn't my IR transmitter also be activated and affect the Blu-ray?

Is there any article for connecting and using multiple, alternating sources?

Also, do you know if Slingbox has a plan to fetch my media from a NAS on the home network instead of/in addition to, from an attached USB?

Thanks!

Eli

alanrichey42 Master
                  As for controlling the Bluray... if I use the set-top configuration for the on screen remote, how do I control the Blu-ray? Are there multiuple remotes that I can use in an alternating way?

Yes, you configure each input in turn, they are completely separate with their own remote control.  So if you select the HDMI input you will see the STB remote and if you select the component (assuming you are using that input for the player) you will see the Blu-Ray controller.

Do I have to then connect the IR wire and patch it to the Bluray device? But then, when I use the set-top box and view the set top box - wouldn't my IR transmitter also be activated and affect the Blu-ray?

No, why should it ?  The devices use completely different IR codes.   If you use the 'real' remotes then your STB remote doesn't affect the Blue-Ray player does it ?    Same will apply to the Slingbox.

Is there any article for connecting and using multiple, alternating sources?

Not specifically.   I tihnk you are overcomplicating what is actually a very simple procedure and looking for problems that don't exist    Most people ask for help after they have tried something and have a problem, It's unusual to ask for help before you have even tried it.

Just plug them both in and follow the on-screen instructions under Settings > Configure Inputs

Matt.Sling Apprentice

Hello ACC5999792,

This article, Using multiple Slingbox audio/video inputs shows you many of the possibilities/options for controlling multiple devices with one Slingbox. As stated, you would just need to configure each input first.

Thanks,

Matt

Slingbox Support Team