11 Replies Latest reply: Apr 25, 2014 11:46 AM by billsteiner RSS

SlingPlayer for Roku Fails

billsteiner Newbie

I have a Nexus 5 phone running Android 4.4.2 and a Roku 3 model 4200X running software version 5.3 build 4016. The Nexus 5 has SlingPlayer 2.8.15 on it. I have a Slingbox Solo and a Slingbox Pro HD both located at other locations and running the latest firmware. The Roku and the Nexus 5 are on the the same network tha uses an ASUS RT-N66U router. I have rebooted all devices numerous times but cannot get the Nexus 5 to stream to the Roku. Prior to the last SlingPlayer update the Nexus could see the Roku but I keep getting the error message that said I needed to install the app on the Roku but after the update the SlingPlayer app does not see the Roku.

Can anyone help me get this going?

• Re: SlingPlayer for Roku Fails
          tbucks04

I'm having the exact same problem and there is no slingplayer on the roku channel store.  My best guess is that they are doing some revamp or update that is causing this problem because I doubt we are the only ones having this problem.

jenn.sling Newbie

Hi billsteiner,

Thanks for posting to the forums!

I'm assuming that you are no longer getting the Roku streaming icon on your Nexus 5 Android phone? To troubleshoot your issue, please try the following steps:

• Reboot the Roku player (it may take up to 5 minutes for the Roku to finish rebooting).
            • Reset the Roku’s network connection.
            • Reset your Android phone's network connection.
            • Uninstall and then reinstall the SlingPlayer channel on the Roku.
            • Uninstall and then reinstall the SlingPlayer application on your Nexus 5 Android phone.
            • Open the SlingPlayer channel on your Roku and then open the SlingPlayer application on your Android phone.

The Roku streaming icon should reappear on your Nexus 5 Android phone after completing the steps listed above.

Hope this helps!

Jennifer,

Sling Forum Moderation Team

billsteiner Newbie

jenn.sling wrote:

Hi billsteiner,

Thanks for posting to the forums!

I'm assuming that you are no longer getting the Roku streaming icon on your Nexus 5 Android phone? To troubleshoot your issue, please try the following steps:

• Reboot the Roku player (it may take up to 5 minutes for the Roku to finish rebooting).
                • Reset the Roku’s network connection.
                • Reset your Android phone's network connection.
                • Uninstall and then reinstall the SlingPlayer channel on the Roku.
                • Uninstall and then reinstall the SlingPlayer application on your Nexus 5 Android phone.
                • Open the SlingPlayer channel on your Roku and then open the SlingPlayer application on your Android phone.

The Roku streaming icon should reappear on your Nexus 5 Android phone after completing the steps listed above.

Hope this helps!

Jennifer,

Sling Forum Moderation Team

Did all that more that 8 times over the last 3 months and it still fails to work. Why can't Sling do something about this? If you read posts on this forum and other forums you will see many, many people are having the same problem.

ACC3212119 Newbie

Just to be certain, I tried your instructions step by step again and the

icon still not showing up to the right of the volume slider bar.

- <https://community.sling.com/message/102468/edit>

I understand that those exact instruction are in the FAQ and more than a

few people are saying that they do not work. I really need some real

answers please.

leanne.sling Newbie

Hi ACC3212119,

Our FAQ article has recently been updated with some new information to help you discover the stream to Roku icon.

Please give the last bullet in the article a try. Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

The Sling Moderation Team - Leanne

billsteiner Newbie

Followed your FAQ for manualy installing the Roku. I typed the IP address into the box and was told that "Device selection failed No Roku player could ge found at this IP address.

I can ping, using my Nexus 5 phone, the Roku at that address so I know it is on my network. I rebooted all devices twice and still get the same responces.

The following devices are being used:

Google Nexus 5 running Android 4.4.2

SlingPlayer Version 2.9.2

Asus RT-N66U

Roku 3 4200X running Sofware 5.4. buid 3340

I have tried changing the wi-fi from 2.4 to 5 GHz, tried turning wi-fi securtiy off but nothing corrects the connection problem.