19 Replies Latest reply: Feb 23, 2014 10:44 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Why no 'Favorites' button 'Slingplayer for iPad'

pjcasanis

I've checked everywhere and there's no 'favorites' button on the new 'Slingplayer for iPad'. What is the reason for this? Surely must be a bug and if so, when will it be fixed?? The biggest problem with slingbox is the delay to ping remote commands so a favorites list is essential.

Here's a screenshot of latest Slingplayer for iPad (box is off but doesn't make any difference if it's on):

photo.PNG

• Re: Why no 'Favorites' button 'Slingplayer for iPad'
          alanrichey42 Master

Are you in the USA or Canada ?  I think Sling have grouped together the Favourites/Channel List/TV Guide/Gallery....., but the TV Guide and Channel List are only available for the USA and Canada, so unfortunately this means we 'lose' the Favourites option. 

I suspect Sling Media will fall back on the fact that officially they only support the 350/500 in the USA & Canada but not the rest of the world.

alanrichey42 Master

Actually I am wrong.  I just connected with my UK 500 and got the correct screen with all the icons.   But when I tried again I got the same screen as you, with just the 2 icons at the bottom.   But I don't know what I did first time to get the correct screen.   I'll report back if I figure it out.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, figured it out I think.   I was half right that they have grouped TV Guide and Gallery and Favourites together and that is where the problem lies.

The solution is to 'lie' twice to the Slingbox    After the first 'lie' and telling it you are in the USA, you have to 'lie' again and pick a valid TV Provider.   If you select the option "my device has no TV input" then you will get the screen you are seeing.    So I suggest you rerun the Settings > Configure Inputs menu option and this time pick a TV Provider.   Obviously the TV Guide and Gallery are useless, but you will get access to Favourites.

image.jpg

pjcasanis

No, I don't think this is the answer. It's just an isue with latest SLingplayer for iPad. The previous version of slingplayer for iPad had the favorites, but the latest version doesn't. The favorites show fine on SlingpLayer for iPhone and also the web version of slingplayer show the favorites.

I'm convinced it's a bug or a conscious decision (no idea why though) stopping favorites from showing on latest slingplayer for ipad.

Thanks for looking into it.

pjcasanis

There's no option of Settings->Configure  in Slingplayer for iPad v3.2

Options under 'settings' are:

Account

SLingbox Directory

Sources

General

Video Quality

Feedback

About

pjcasanis

I think you're using an older version of Slingplayer for iPad?

It worked fine for me on this version. If you upgrade your version you'll prbably find you're in the same problem as me.

alanrichey42 Master
                                There's no option of Settings->Configure  in Slingplayer for iPad v3.2

No, you can't run the setup from the iPad you have to do it on a PC/Mac

pjcasanis

I've tried this now on web version of Slinplayer and selected USA and option of TV provider not listed but there's no change. The SLingPlayer for iPad still doens't show any favorite icon.

The only difference from doing it this way is that I get a channel icon but I can't click (presumably because I selected that the TV provider was not listed). However, none of this makes any difference to the SlingPlayer for iPad version which looks the same regardless of what I set the settings to.

I'm convinced this is a bug on latest slingplayer for iPad. Looking at your screenshot, this looks like you are using an earlier version? (not 3.2)

alanrichey42 Master
                                        I've tried this now on web version of Slinplayer and selected USA and option of TV provider not listed but there's no change. The SLingPlayer for iPad still doens't show any favorite icon.

No, you didn't reads my post correctly.  Selecting "TV provider not listed"  is what is causing you not to have the Favourites showing.  You need to select an actual provider.  I use Verizon FIOS.

I'm convinced this is a bug on latest slingplayer for iPad. Looking at your screenshot, this looks like you are using an earlier version? (not 3.2)

No, I am using 3.2, same as you.   There isn't a bug, it is a feature of the way you have set it up.

I agree it's not very clever to combine the Favourites and the Gallery, but that was a design decison.   And I think you will still have a problem as the way you select favourites is through the TV Guide and the programs you want will not be displayed.

pjcasanis

Thanks for helping me here, I really appreciate it. However, I'm really really confused:

1, Whatever I set my location to and TV listings (and even before I started trying this before your USA fudge suggestions) I don't get any favorites options on Slingplayer for iPad, but, I do and have always got favorites (heart icon) on web version of slingplayer and also got favorites fine on slingplayer for iPhone. I also got favorites fine on SLingplayer for iPad before I upgraded and get favorites icon fine on the latest version slingplayer for iPhone version.

2, I've done your suggestion as per your latest message (set the country to USA and zip code as some place in Florida). I now get a list of channels that I don't have of course. However, nothing changes, I'm still getting everything exactly the same as before (web fine, iphone fine, ipad no).

3, I've now dusted off my old slingbox solo and hooked it up to my Sky+ HD box and exactly the same thing = favorites on web version of slingplayer, favorites on iPhone slingplayer and nothing on SlingPlayer for iPad v3.2.

4, If it is as you say, that there's a change in design, why does web player and iPhone version of slingplayer display the favorites section fine and only slingplayer for iPad follow a new design direction?

Are you sure you have latest SLingplayer for iPad version?? Your screenshots looks very similar to the previous version of Slingplayer for iPad (or slingplayer on an ipad that is actually the iphone version) and nothing like the new version. You can see from my screenshot that the disconnect option is top left and the icons displayed in your footer panel are now located in the top right (as you can see from my screenshot).

Thanks for helping me on this..

alanrichey42 Master
                                                Whatever I set my location to and TV listings (and even before I started trying this before your USA fudge suggestions) I don't get any favorites options on Slingplayer for iPad, but, I do and have always got favorites (heart icon) on web version of slingplayer and also got favorites fine on slingplayer for iPhone. I also got favorites fine on SLingplayer for iPad before I upgraded and get favorites icon fine on the latest version slingplayer for iPhone version.

But these are 3 different programs written by 3 different teams within Sling, each with their own ideas on what the interface should look like.  So the fact that the heart icon appears on the web player and on the iPhone is irrelevant to the discussion.

2, I've done your suggestion as per your latest message (set the country to USA and zip code as some place in Florida). I now get a list of channels that I don't have of course. However, nothing changes, I'm still getting everything exactly the same as before (web fine, iphone fine, ipad no)..

Which ZIP code and TV provider did you pick ?

, If it is as you say, that there's a change in design, why does web player and iPhone version of slingplayer display the favorites section fine and only slingplayer for iPad follow a new design direction?

See previous answer

Are you sure you have latest Slingplayer for iPad version?? Your screenshots looks very similar to the previous version of Slingplayer for iPad (or slingplayer on an ipad that is actually the iphone version) and nothing like the new version. You can see from my screenshot that the disconnect option is top left and the icons displayed in your footer panel are now located in the top right (as you can see from my screenshot).

I keep telling you I have the latest version.   If I select one of my inputs where I told the system I did not have a TV provider then I get the IDENTICAL screen shot to the one you posted, with just the Watch & Settings icon across the bottom.   When I select an input when I have selected a TV Provider then I get the screen shot I posted with the 8 icons across the bottom.

So I really don't know what else I can tell you.  You cannot be setting it up correctly.  When you tell me what ZIP and TV Provider you selected I will try it on my Slingbox.

pjcasanis

I put in 33109 as the zip code and picked Globecast World TV (as i guessed this was the most likely option to list UK channels).

Can you tell me what zip code you used and then which TV provider you selected? Do you know of a USA TV service that shows UK Satellite channels (this would be the best fudge I guess). If not, it's all a bit pointless? As tagging Sky Movies as CNN isn't really going to help with any shortcutting I guess.

Just checked the release notes of the latest version and you are correct. One of the items is:

-Favorites Filter moved to top left of Gallery View

..so it seems it's a ridiculous design decision and one that renders the feature useless for anyone in UK (on any box)

Again, thanks so much for helping me understand this.

alanrichey42 Master
                                                        I put in 33109 as the zip code and picked Globecast World TV (as i guessed this was the most likely option to list UK channels).

Actually I cannot see how to change the ZIP code ?

Can you tell me what zip code you used and then which TV provider you selected?

20111 and Verizon Fios (last entry before 'my provider is not listed.

Do you know of a USA TV service that shows UK Satellite channels (this would be the best fudge I guess

No

If not, it's all a bit pointless

Yes

..so it seems it's a ridiculous design decision and one that renders the feature useless for anyone in UK (on any box)

Yes, although you have to remember that Sling Media has always been USA-centric and very rarely acknowledges there is any intelligent life on the rest of the planet

alanrichey42 Master

Just figured out how to change ZIP code and tried yours and it worked fine.  I got the screen with 8 icons and Favorites.

What type of Slingbox are you using ?

pjcasanis

I've sorted it now. You have to go through the full process of changing everything and then proceeding through to the summary at the end in order to ping the Slingplayer iPad into the new mode.

However, it's really pointless annoyingly because the guide and favorites are set to the fudged provider of course which I have no access to the channels on that list.

This is really frustrating actually because the feature looks great. It even downloads a TV guide of what is on based on that channel.

It's even more frustrating that Slingmedia could probably add a UK listing in easy. It's not like the USA with postcodes dictating your channel listings. We're on the same system over here. They just need to add a Sky or VM listing set and that's the UK covered.

Wish there was a way to roll back and have the previous Slingplayer for iPad back as I could set my own favorites from this. What a stupid decision to kill this feature and port it into a gallery that only works in the USA.

1 star and a scathing review for this version of the app for Slingplayer for iPad from me then. A few more 1 stars and they may just start to listen to us over-paying Brits.

pjcasanis

ps.. thanks Alan for helping me get to the finish line

*** Edited to observe Slingbox Answers Forum House Rules by Moderator. ***

alanrichey42 Master
                                                                      I've sorted it now. You have to go through the full process of changing everything and then proceeding through to the summary at the end in order to ping the Slingplayer iPad into the new mode.

Good, although I must admit I had assumed you had done that first time I suggested it

It's even more frustrating that Slingmedia could probably add a UK listing in easy. It's not like the USA with postcodes dictating your channel listings. We're on the same system over here. They just need to add a Sky or VM listing set and that's the UK covered.

Probably a lot more difficult than you think.  They contract to a third-party Company to provide the TV Listings, Zap2It I think in the USA/Canada.  So they would need to find an equivalent Company in the other countries.  Not only might there not be one, but it would actually cost the Company money !!!!   So very unlikely I think.

Wish there was a way to roll back and have the previous Slingplayer for iPad back as I could set my own favorites from this. What a stupid decision to kill this feature and port it into a gallery that only works in the USA.

Have you not got a Backup of the ipa file somewhere ?

I agree it is a stupid decision, but to be fair maybe it was an unintended consequence and they didn't realise the impact it would have on on-USA users.

For the moderators:  It would be nice to know the answer, but I have been on this forum long enough to know that isn't going to happen But could you at least point out to the SPM iPad developers the consequence of their decision to move the Favorites icon.

Thanks

Al