7 Replies Latest reply: Sep 12, 2012 12:52 PM by effcee RSS

No sound...

GerryD

I'm trying to find a clear answer to fixing the problem of the slingbox working but I with no sound on laptop... I have setup the wiring according to the manual and am not using the S-video cable. Is there something I can do?  

• Re: No sound...
          eferz Expert

Couple of questions.

If you're  using the audio output pass through from the Slingbox, does it have an  audio signal?  Sometimes set-top boxes have a remotes that allow you to  control its output.  Unfortunately, from my experience the volume/mute  on the virtual remote from the Slingplayer controls the Slingplayer and  not the set-top box itself.

Also, are you're using a digital audio output  output to a stereo receiver?  it is possible the set-top box has disable  the analog audio output.

The best test for either condition is to check if  the Slingbox is receiving an audio signal from the set-top box.  Since  the Slingbox can only rebroadcast what it receives.

GerryD

What?

GerryD

ok, so I've been reading all this stuff about the HDMI preventing the sound from working on a slingbox... this must be the same problem I'm having as my TV is hooked up with the HDMI cables as well. I have an Xbox, home theatre and DVR all hooke up with my HD TV an everything works now. Also had my laptop plugged into TV to download movies and watch on TV but that no longer works either (since I plugged in the slingbox).

Thanks. 

stanzio

I have a slingbox hd pro was working fine then the sound went out,checked all connections.what did finally work was a digital audio cable.if your hd box has an orange rca socket get a digital audio cable (wallmart $12.95 disconnect your red and white rca plugs from your slingbox,insert digital cable,then go back in setup and unclick analog click digital and apply

jwrincker

So does your Slingbox Pro-HD Work or Not Work with the HDMI cable connected to your other devices? I just bought the PRO-HD and hooked everything up according to the manual. I have a DirecTV HD DVR box and there are R1-R2 and L1-L2 audio OUT ports on this device and no (orange) digital audio ports. Does it matter which ones I hook the cables up to? Bottom line is, what do I have to do to get sound while watching my tv over the internet? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

eferz Expert

jwrincker wrote:

So does your Slingbox Pro-HD Work or Not Work with the HDMI cable connected to your other devices?

That's not up to the Slingbox.  It's not a magical device, it can only rebroadcast what it "sees" and "hears".  If your Slingbox isn't displaying a picture or projectin sound, then it is possible the set-top  isn't providing a signal.  I would recommend testing the connectors from  the cable box to see whether or not they're working.  It is possible  that the set-top box has Selectable Output Control (SoC) enabled, which  is a part of High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection (HDCP).  If your  set-top box is also connected so another device using HDMI then its  probable that it has disabled its own analog outputs.

There's more information and a possible workaround in the articles below.

* http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000188.html
                                * http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000221.html

jwrincker wrote:

I just bought the PRO-HD and hooked everything up according to the manual. I have a DirecTV HD DVR box and there are R1-R2 and L1-L2 audio OUT ports on this device and no (orange) digital audio ports. Does it matter which ones I hook the cables up to?

Not really, just make sure you connecting them appropriately.  Some people don't notice the box that seperates the HD connection from the SD connection.  So, they inappropriately connect the wrong connectors for the wrong video or audio source.  Here's the back of the Slingbox Pro-HD for reference.

http://support.slingbox.com/docs/CP/3232/pro-hd-back.png

Bottom line is, what do I have to do to get sound while watching my tv over the internet?

I wrote this post (https://community.sling.com/message/8730#8730), walking through just about ever possibile scenario where the sound might be missing.  See if it helps you.

effcee

ALL OF A SUDDEN I HAVE NO SOUND,  LITTLE SOUND ICON HAS X NEXT TO IT.  I HAVE NOT MUTED.  ALSO, GOT NEW CABLE BOX BUT CANNOT MATCH REMOTE TO MY NEW SAMSUNG BOX.  WHAT DO I DO?

FRED