2 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2014 1:31 PM by Jason.G.Sling RSS

No router near Slingbox PRO

Cottrell54

Hello,

I need help getting my Slingbox PRO hooked up to my internet network.

I have Slingbox PRO, but I have no router near the Slingbox.  The Slingbox is upstairs and connected to a DirecTV box.  The modem and router is downstairs, but running a long ethernet cable upstairs just is not workable.

My current internet set up is: Speedstream modem connected to a Linksys WRT54G, which connects directly to the computer (Windows 7; doesn't have a wireless card).

I don't plan on using this computer for watching the Slingbox, but it is a computer that is hooked up the DSL.

I also have a Netgear WNR1000 that is currently not in use.

In addition, I will be using a laptop with wireless cababilites to watch the Slingbox on.

I've been trying for days to figure out how to make it work and be able to connect the Slingbox to the same network as the computer.  I've been reading up on cascading and bridging, but I don't totally understand it.  Is is possible to use my current router to wirelessly send a signal to my unused wireless router, which I could place upstairs and then connect that router to the Slingbox?  And if so, how do I do it?  Or do you have other suggestions.

Thanks!