31 Replies Latest reply: Sep 17, 2010 12:17 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Custom Remote for Scientific Atlanta Explorer series

alanrichey42 Master

Hi all

I regularly see postings on this and other forums that people have trouble with the 'List' button not working on the Scientific Atlanta Explorer series virtual remotes.  Some months ago I built a Custom Remote for these boxes where the 'List' button worked correctly.  The only disadvantage was that it used a generic Remote 'skin' rather than the correct Scientific Atlanta one.

I have now figured out how to make the Custom Remote use the right 'skin' so have built a new set of BIN files.  I have attached a new version of the Custom Remote and would be grateful if someone could test it for me.   The only problem I have is that I cannot find the code for the 'PIP Source' function, so again would be grateful for help on that one.

This new remote should at least cover the Scientific Atlanta Explorer 3250, 4200, 4250 & 8300 HD devices, but if anyone finds out any other models it covers then please let me know.  And it does mean you can actually re-map functions to different buttons if you want to 'tweak' the virtual remote.

Thanks

Al

• Re: Custom Remote for Scientific Atlanta Explorer series
          eferz Expert

Incidently, the issue with the Scientific Atlanta series was the "Set" button acting as "List" and the "List" button doing nothing.  The PIP section (on/off, swap, move, +/-, and video source) that were also mapped improperly.  However, that was related to the older Slingplayers software, the current one for download had fixed everything except for the grey "SRC" which is suppose to toggle the video sources within the PIP window.  Currently it is disabled with the current download.

In anycase, I'll download it and test it for you.

alanrichey42 Master

Many thanks.   As I don't have the device I hadn't realised that Sling had fixed all the problems.  Not used to that

Pity they have the same problem as me that the PIP Source is not working.   What I need now is someone with the SA Explorer and also a Harmony remote.

Cheers

Al

eferz Expert

Operating System: Vista x64 Ultimate (SP2)
                  Slingbox: Pro-HD (1.4.60 US)
                  Slingplayer: 2.0 Desktop (2.04.521)
                  Set-top: Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300HDC

--Baseline----------------------------

Device Type: "Cablebox" + "Scientific Atlanta" + "Explorer 8300HD"
                  Device Type: "Standalone DVR (Digital Video Recorder)" + "Scientific Atlanta" + "Explorer 8300HD"

"Menu" does nothing.  Work around pressing "Guide" then "A"
                  "Mute" and "Volume" actually controls the Slingplayer not the DVR itself.
                  "SRC" button greyed out.

--Scientific Atlanta Explorer.zip-----

Device Type: "Cablebox" + "Scientific Atlanta" + "Other" + "Custom" + "C1282"
                  Device Type: "Standalone DVR (Digital Video Recorder)" + "Scientific Atlanta" + "Other" + "Custom" + "C1282"

With the C1282_PL.bin & C1282_RV.bin in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\SBAV" directory, the Setup Assistant isn't able to toggle the power or change to channel 5.  The custom skin loads, but the only button that is responsive is "Mute" and "Volume" actually controls the Slingplayer not the DVR  itself.

With only C1282_PL.bin in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\SBAV" directory, the Setup Assistant isn't able to toggle the power or change to channel 5.  The custom skin loads, but the only button that is responsive is "Mute" and "Volume" actually controls the Slingplayer not the DVR  itself.

With only C1282_RV.bin in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\SBAV" directory, the Setup Assistant is able to toggle the power and change to channel 5.  The custom skin loads, all the buttons are responsive except for "Menu", "SRC" is greyed out, and "Mute" and "Volume" actually controls the Slingplayer not the DVR itself.

*Note* You still get the Generic Slingbox Default Skin (with the color buttons) with the following options within the Setup Assistant.

Device Type: "Other Controllable Device" + "Other" + "Custom" + "C1282"
                  Device Type: "Cablebox" + "Other" + "Custom" + "C1282"
                  Device Type: "Standalone DVR (Digital Video Recorder)" + "Other" + "Custom" + "C1282"

Message was edited by: eferz *"Mute" and "Volume" actually controls the Slingplayer not the DVR itself.

alanrichey42 Master

eferz wrote:

Device Type: "Cablebox" + "Scientific Atlanta" + "Other" + "Custom" + "C1282"

With the C1282_PL.bin & C1282_RV.bin in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\SBAV" directory, the Setup Assistant isn't able to toggle the power or change to channel 5.  The custom skin loads, but the only button that is responsive is "mute" which actually mutes the Slingplayer not the DVR itself.

With only C1282_PL.bin in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\SBAV" directory, the Setup Assistant isn't able to toggle the power or change to channel 5.  The custom skin loads, but the only button that is responsive is "mute" which actually mutes the Slingplayer not the DVR itself.

With only C1282_RV.bin in the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\SBAV" directory, the Setup Assistant is able to toggle the power and change to channel 5.  The custom skin loads, all the buttons are responsive except for "Menu", "SRC" is greyed out, and "Mute" actually mutes the Slingplayer not the DVR itself.

OK, that points to the fact the IR Code is not being recognised.  The reason your third option worked is that your US Slingbox could not find the C1282_PL.bin file so reverted to the built-in version with the problems you described

And I think it is my fault :-)   When I learnt the codes the IR Protocol was showing as 'Panasonic' and that was what I used.  What I hadn't realised was that if I expanded the column the actual protocol was 'Panasonic (Old)'  which is different.

Can you try this new C1282_PL.bin file ?  

Al

mespo17

I have tried the files you provided but I can not get the remote to perform any action against the 4250HD box. The custom code is recognized but nothing is happening. I tried using the new file at from your last post.  Also I have the slingbox classic, will this custom code work on th classic?

rockhulk56

Hello,

I have a (cablevision) Scientifica Atlanta 4250HD box and I cannot find the remote settings that will work. Which remote listing will work for my system so i can use the virtual remote on my Computer and iPhone? Thanks.