15 Replies Latest reply: Mar 4, 2014 5:41 PM by jab1972 RSS

SB350 – Green Line LHS of screen - UK SKYHD Box,  HDFURY2 HDMI to component converter.

jab1972

Hi, Hope somebody can help, I currently have a UK SKYHD box, HDFURY2 HDMI to component converter then into my Slingbox 350.

Everything works ok and the picture quality is great but I get a thin green line on the left hand side of the screen. I can see the line using a PC Web browser or Android phone app.

I have tried plugging the component output of the HDFURY2 straight into my TV and there is no green line at all so I don’t think that it is the HDFURY2 that is at fault.

I have googled it and have found a few other people mentioning it but never any solution?

I don’t have any other component source I can try into the slingbox 350

Is the slingbox 350 component input causing this?

Cheers

Jason

• Re: SB350 – Green Line LHS of screen - UK SKYHD Box,  HDFURY2 HDMI to component converter.
          jab1972

Is there no answer to this?

Is anybody else on this forum using the same source and converter equipment (or any other HDMI to component converter) and getting (or not getting) the same result?

Is there no comment from a slingbox representative?

Any comments would be much appreciated so I can try and establish if I have a faulty HDMI to component converter or slingbox 350.

Thanks in advance for any replys

• Re: SB350 – Green Line LHS of screen - UK SKYHD Box,  HDFURY2 HDMI to component converter.
              interinmente Newbie

Sorry I cannot answer to your question but I have a similar problem. If I connect my SKYHD box to Slingbox 350 by composite cable (from Scart) everything works perfect, but if I use a Scart to component cable I have no audio and no video. So it is a Slingbox component problem or SkyHD box?

jab1972

Sorry, I am not sure if I understand what you are trying to do?

I am no expert on this but what is a “Scart to component cable”?

You won’t get any picture if you somehow connect the composite output of the SKYHD box into the component input of the Slingbox as they are totally different formats

Composite has the whole picture information over 1 pair of wires and Component splits the picture information up into 3 separate pairs and will support HD resolutions.

You will also not gain any picture quality improvement if you somehow convert the composite output of the SKYHD box into component and then use the component input of the Slingbox as the source is still the inferior composite format.

You need to convert the HDMI output of the SKYHD box into component and then you will see a vast picture quality improvement as the Slingbox will then have a 1080i component signal that it will stream.

Hope all the above makes sense!!!

interinmente Newbie

Hi ,

This is the scart to component I am talking about!

Until now I used a similar cable Scart to composite from Sky Box to Slingbox 350 and it worlked perfect.

Now I wanted to try the component but nothing. Nor video nor audio

jab1972

I have looked up a “Scart to component cable” and it states the following: -

(I would post the link but I am not sure if that would be breaking forum rules)

“ A scart to component cable is a bi-directional cable so can be used as scart to component or component to scart. To use this cable the scart MUST support component video, RGB is not component video and requires a sync signal so the cable cannot be used for RGB to scart or scart to RGB. Component video only carries the picture not audio.”

So this is not a composite to component cable it is just a component cable that uses a scart plug on one end.

The SKYHD box does not output component on its scart socket, only composite and RGB (on separate pins)

Some older SKYHD box’s did have a separate component output (in the form of the 3 phono sockets, never using the scart socket) but Sky removed this output on newer box’s as component does not support DHCP which made it easy for people to take a HD feed from the box and illegally broadcast it over the internet.

That is why if you want to feed a good quality HD signal into your slingbox you must get a DHCP compliant HDMI to component converter.(Unless you have an older SKYHD box with a separate component output)

So to sum it up you are using the component input on your slingbox but you are not getting a component output from your SKYHD box on the scart socket.

That’s why it will never work

jab1972

P.S while I am here a quick message for "interinmente"

Don’t wish to be rude, and I don’t know if you will ever read this, but a simple “thanks for the reply” wouldn’t have hurt considering that I went to the trouble of answering your questions and explaining the reason why what you are trying to do doesn’t work!

lixlev Newbie

I hope this helps. I have the exact same set up as you (HDFury2) except a Virgin Media Tivo box instead of Sky HD box and I also have the Green Line on the LHS of the screen.

I just plugged the same HDMI cable into my Apple TV and the output gave me the green line again on the SlingPlayer website/iPad app but this time along the bottom and RHS of the screen.

So if you are not getting the issue when you plug the component into your TV, and I am getting a similar issue with both Virgin Tivo box and Apple TV, then it can't be the HDFury2, and is probably an issue with how the Slingbox handles component.

It's so minor that I'm dealing with it and the picture quality is fantastic anyway.

Hope that helps.

OvCollyer Apprentice

I've had green lines before with Sky boxes and the HDFury2. I've not seen the problem since upgrading to HDFury3 however. I think it is something about the combination of HDFury2 and Slingbox but certainly the HDfury2 doesn't produce green lines when connected directly to the TV.

Right now I have two Sky boxes, a 2TB one and a standard one, but both a recent model (i.e. without component output).

One is hooked up to a Slingbox 350 using an HDFury3, and the other is hooked up to a Slingbox 500 using an 3DFury (aka HDFury4). In the case of the latter, I've installed firmware on it that strips the HDCP so I use the HDMI directly. the HDFury4 also has component outputs so I've hooked those up too just in case, but never had to use them.

My guess is your issue would go away if you upgraded to an HDFury3 or 4, though that's just that's my experience, so don't blame me if it doesn't work out

jab1972

Hi OvCollyer

Massive thanks for your reply. That’s all really interesting.

I would really like to try the HDFury3 now but don’t think I can really justify the cost after just purchasing the HDFury2!!

The HDFury2 is apparently firmware upgradable and I was wondering if there may have been a fix in a later firmware, but I can’t find any information anywhere on how to do it or if it’s even possible?

That’s an interesting one using the 3DFury then HDMI into the SB500, do you notice any quality improvements over converting to component then into the SB350?

(I shouldn’t ask really as I definitely can’t justify the cost of the 3DFury and then a SB500!!!!)

Anyway it’s good to bear in mind that I could possibly solve this issue by purchasing the HDFury3.

Thanks again

lixlev Newbie

Hi jab,

Just to update you. I phoned Amazon, who I purchased the HDFury2 from and basically told them my issue. They said that what I could do is either send back my HDFury2 for a full refund. Send it back for a replacement, or buy the HDFury3, test it out and then send back whichever I didnt want to keep for a full refund.

I opted to purchase the HDFury3 and try it out. Lo and behold the picture is perfect with no green line, so I will be sending the HDFury2 back this week for my refund.

I guess maybe the HDFury2 and the slingbox just dont get on that well.

jab1972

Hi lixlev

Thanks for the update.

So it’s looking like it’s an HDFury2 issue and the HDFury3 definitely dose not suffer the green line problem.

I am glad you have managed to get it sorted with Amazon to return your HDFury2 and replace it with the HDFury3.

I unfortunately didn’t purchase mine from Amazon but from a company www.3dfury.co.uk

I purchased it on the 12/01/14 but was initially unable to use it as they failed to include the power supply. I finally received the Power supply on the 24/01/14.

I have emailed them requesting the I return the HDFury2 and pay the extra cost for the HDFury3 but I am not holding my breath as they were less than helpful when I contacted them to inform that they had not included the power supply. It took a number of chasses and nearly 2 weeks for me to receive it.

They state on their website that they are “official distributors for all HDFury products” which made me initially think that they were connected with the manufacture in some way for the UK, but I am beginning to think that the company may be a “one man band”.

Anyway enough of that, glad you have sorted it your end and thanks to yours and OvCollyer reply’s I think we have established that the answer is to use a HDFury3 and not an HDFury2.

Hopefully anybody who is thinking of converting HDMI to component for their slingbox will read this thread.

Cheers

Jason

jab1972

Hi, just thought I would update this thread to say that I finally managed to replace my HDFury2 with an HDFury3 and I too can confirm that the green line issue has gone.

I returned my HDFury2 to www.3dfury.co.uk after they promised to exchange it (with the extra payment) for an HDFury3).

They never sent me the replacement HDFury3 after full payment from me and I am now in dispute with them via PayPal, but that is another story!!

I purchased the HDFury3 from Amazon.

Will now mark this issue as solved.

Thanks to lixlev and OvCollyer for their replys.

If anybody else is thinking of converting HD HDMI to HD Component to feed a Slingbox then I would recommend spending the extra money and get the HDFury3 if you want a perfect picture without the green line issue and from my experience I would avoid purchasing it from www.3dfury.co.uk!!

Hope this thread will help people in the future.

Regards

Jason