3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 21, 2010 10:17 AM by hicksjim RSS

Is slingbox remote supposed to change channel on tv hkd to settop?

dave1709

Just hooked up slingbox and everything downloaded and set up.  I'm able to watch what is showing on my tv.  Is slingbox remote supposed to change set top box so you affect what someone else might be watching on the tv?   Did I hook up the cables wrong, or is that the way its supposed to work?  Seems like they should work independantly.

Thanks!

• Re: Is slingbox remote supposed to change channel on tv hkd to settop?
          eferz Expert

Unfortunately, the Slingbox isn't magical.  It can only rebroadcast what it gets.  So, it depends on the set-top box.  There are some boxes that have separate independent outputs which can support two separate televisions.  However most of them only support one output.  The Slingbox in my home isn't even connected to a television. We have it connected to the cable's DVR box.  This reduces the chance that someone will cancel a recording to watch live television if more than one show is being recorded at a time.

dave1709

Thanks, I was beginning to suspect that was how it worked.  I guess I'm going to need to move the slingbox to another room.  Use a less used cable box.  I had wanted to use my main cable box/DVR, but that will disrupt the house too much.  Its not going to reach my router, so I think there was something else I need to make it work,

Thanks

hicksjim

Tagging onto the previous question, I am trying to bring Comcast HD sports into my home which is not geographically able to be served by Comcast but by another small local media company.  I have relatives in Comcast "territory" who will allow me access to their Comcast signal and provide a site for the Slingbox HD Pro.  Two questions:

(1) If I simply pay for the relatives to rent an additional HD cable box from comcast, should I not have full access to Comcast programming without affecting their viewing?

(2) On the receiving end (my home) I want to feed the Comcast signal into my Denon Home Theater receiver via HDMI which will split it into audio and video to a Mitsubishi projector.  I assume I will need an additional computer (server) with an HDMI output.  Do I need to upgrade the video capability of that unit to get good HD into the home theater system?

Thanks

Jim