3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2014 6:45 AM by katie.sling RSS

What kind of SlingBox I need to buy to watch in France?

MWilliam

Hello,

I've been reading about Slingbox and this seems to be a great solution for us but I still need help. We live in the US, this summer we are going to France. The apartment I found to rent  there doesn't offer cable TV only internet and a TV with local channels. We want to watch the World Cup matches while there. Here is my question, what kind of SlingBox do I need to buy in order to watch our TV channels in France.  We would like to watch the games (and other US programs) on their TV not on the computer. Speaking of computers we have a Mac Air. Will this work?

Many thanks,

M.William

• Re: What kind of SlingBox I need to buy to watch in France?
          katie.sling Apprentice

Hi MWilliam,

Thanks for using our forums. You have a great question and I would be happy to help you decide which type of Slingbox to get.

The type of Slingbox to get depends on a few things. The Slingbox will need to be hooked up to both your router and cable box at the home location. The 350 requires a direct connection to your router and the 500 can be wifi to your router or a direct connection. If your router is close to the cable box, you can get by with the 350. If the router is in a seperate room, you will need the 500.  This is the main difference. Another difference would be the video cables. The 350 will connect with component or composite cables. The 500 uses both of these types of cables, along with HDMI as well.

As for viewing on the TV in France, there are a few devices that will work. These are called connected devices. The ones that work with the Slingbox are WD TV, Netgear NeoTV, and Sony Internet Player with Google TV. These hook up to the remote TV via HDMI and then connect to the router either via wifi or a hardwired connection. You will log in to the user interface on the TV screen through the Slingbox app.

Hope this helps,

Katie

The Sling Moderation Team

• Re: What kind of SlingBox I need to buy to watch in France?
              MWilliam

Dear Katie,

thanks for your help, I understand from your response we will need the slignbox500, our router is not close to the TV. My follow up question is related to the connected devices, just to clarify, I would take one of these devices (WD TV, Netgear NeoTV, and Sony Internet Player with Google TV) to France and would hook them via HDMI cable to their TV,  then use the device to connect ot the wi-fi available. Is this correct? I am sorry I am sounding repetitive but this will cost to us over $400 so I want to make sure all will work.

thanks for your help!

M.William