5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2014 9:00 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Nokia 701 symbian Belle fp2

gmanfaraway

I have Slingplayer mobile working on my Nokia N95 8g, but I am trying to get Slingplayer working on my Nokia 701 w/belle fp2. I got a bluetooth keyboard so I could enter all the numbers on a touch screen phone. But when I try to connect at my home using wifi I get "Unable to conect ... make sure slingbox is on...." or "unable to connect ... connection timed out. ...try later" As i said, it works on my N95, and all the numbers are entered correctly on the 701. It seems like it's almost there. Finds the Slingbox just will not connect. Anyone got any ideas seeing how Sling bailed on us Symbian lovers.

To Sling Media, Please support Symbian Belle. Symbian Belle is the best mobile OS I have seen. As we learn more about the security issues with Android and the restrictivness of Apple (wp8 doesn't get a mention because it is a joke) Symbian is the only way to go. So please get Slingplayer working on the newer Symbian phones.

• Re: Nokia 701 symbian Belle fp2
          alanrichey42 Master

You should have done a forum search before posting that.  There are dozens of previous threads on this subject.   Basically Sling stopped supporting Symbian after S60 Edition 3.   And there is no conceivable business case for supporting it now.

gmanfaraway

I did do a search, but wanted to ask Sling for it as well. As for no businsess case for supporting it now, that's not how I see it, we are talking about Symbian not WP8 or Android. Ya, I know Symbian is dead, but we're bringing it back baby. Also, I wanted help to get it going, as I said, it seems like it would work on the Nokia 701 if it would just connect, so thanks for the help. 

alanrichey42 Master
                  I did do a search, but wanted to ask Sling for it as well. 

Ah, wrong place then.  This forum is more designed for users to compare problems.  And one of the rules of the forum (you read them of course ? ) is that we should never discuss future projects.

As for no businsess case for supporting it now, that's not how I see it, we are talking about Symbian not WP8 or Android. Ya, I know Symbian is dead, but we're bringing it back baby.

OK, we'll have to agree to disagree.  If the Company decided not to support S60 Edition 5 when phones like the 5800 were selling in the millions, and were not persuaded by Anna and Belle when Nokia phones were outselling iPhones, then I cannot see any conceivable reason why they should suddenly start to support an Operating System that is fast becoming just for geeks  (BTW, I include myself in that, as an owner of a C7).

it seems like it would work on the Nokia 701 if it would just connect,

No, it isn't that simple.  I have the same symtom on the 5800 and C7.   All you are seeing is the initial start screen.  To work properly it would have to be rewritten to use a touch screen, and also the video streaming code would have to be completely rewritten.  Probably quicker to start from scratch.   Sorry, but it just isn't going to happen.

gmanfaraway

Thank you for your replies.

I have a Nokia bluetooth keyboard, so I got past the not for touch screen part. I entered my Slingbox ID and would be able to change channels with the bluetooth keyboard. The Slingplayer seems to locate the Slingbox, just can not connect. Would the video streaming code really have to completely rewritten?

And, I do not consider this a future project, it is a present product as I paid for it and it works on my N95. I am a Sling Media customer and I have a right to ask them to continue to support a product that they sold to me.

I won't accept that it is to much work for Sling, after all they did a player for WP8, that nobody is using and for Android (the pocket wire tap) that nobody should be using. Sometimes the company needs to be told that they made a mistake, so they can correct it.

alanrichey42 Master
                          Would the video streaming code really have to completely rewritten?

Obviously I don't know 100% but I would guess there would need to be extensive changes.

And, I do not consider this a future project, it is a present product as I paid for it and it works on my N95. I am a Sling Media customer and I have a right to ask them to continue to support a product that they sold to me.

Sorry, again I have to disagree.  You bought a product for S60 Edition 3 (non-touch).   Symbian/Nokia Belle is effectively a completely different Operating System.

I won't accept that it is to much work for Sling, after all they did a player for WP8, that nobody is using and for Android (the pocket wire tap) that nobody should be using. Sometimes the company needs to be told that they made a mistake, so they can correct it.

Best of luck   I have been telling Sling about mistakes they have made for well over 3 years in full supported products, so far with very limited success.

As I said before, we have to agree to disagree, although as a software author myself who has just given up trying to support Android, my sympathies lie with Sling.