16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 19, 2012 3:27 PM by bkamrath RSS

One computer works the others do not

jcastill

Hi,

I got a Slingbox Solo in Mexico and I'm trying to stream it to the USA. Now, my computer works great, I get TV streaming and it works fairly good, also my Blackberry 9700 receives the stream and works amazingly even on 3G or WiFi.

the problem is with any other computer inside my house, I've tried 3 different laptops, two with Windows 7 and one with Vista, and all of them won't work, they stay in "optimizing" and fail after 1 or 2 minutes. I've tried even Slingbox.com streaming with the same fatal result.

I contacted Slingbox support and they were able to stream my Slingbox with no problems, saying that it must be some Firewall issue or something like that. I already tried to disable Windows Firewall (just to test as it shouldn't interfere) and all the computers (even the one that works) use Microsoft Security Essentials as Antivirus, so I ruled that one. The slingplayer does connect to the Slingbox as if I'm waiting on optimizing and launch my Blackberry or my computer Slingplayer it will tell me somebody is connected and ask for my administrator password.

Anybody has any idea on what might be the issue? All I can think is maybe I'm missing some codec or something that my machine has for some strange reason and the others do not, but I'm really desperate and without more ideas. I even tried to make one of the non working computers DMZ of the network so even the NAT won't come into play, but with the same not working result.

Thanks!

Jose    

• Re: One computer works the others do not
          jcastill

Really nobody has a clue of what might be wrong? I've tried thinking about everything and came out with no answer, and calling technical support is a joke, after everything they tell me it works on their end and they have no idea...

eferz Expert

While I can agree with you that technical support is a joke.  They might  be completely out of scope for determining OS related issues  The  problem most likely is due to some sort of desktop firewall which is  preventing the Slingplayer (software client) from communicating with the  Slingbox (hardware server).  This has nothing to do with your router's  firewall, but a software filewall on your computer which regulates  network connectivity of applications.

You might try uninstalling the application, logging into the built-in Administrator account, download a fresh copy, and installing it.  Maybe the problem has to do with other permissions regulated by the operating system.

jcastill

Thanks for your answer. As everything I've tried that. I disabled Windows 7 firewall and it won't work. It does connect but stays at optimizing. The thing that drives me crazy is that I have exactly the same problem with my Slingcatcher. So with that I throw out the firewall idea, as that device won't work as well, yet my computer and my cellphone work perfectly...

I will try to take out one laptop that does not work in the house to a free hotspot (starbucks) and try to login from there to test further. But I can assure you it's not a firewall/antivirus problem, it's something else.

Thanks for your answer!

eferz Expert

Try this and compare the results of all your computers.  While you have Slingplayer connected to your Slingbox, open up the command prompt window (Win Logo | All Programs | Accessories | Command Prompt).  Type in "netstat -o"  and hit enter.  You'll be able to see all the various open network sessions on your PC.  In the third column, "Foreign Address" you should look out for the "ip.address:port.number" of your Slingbox.  The default port is 5001.  You should see two sessions established to your Slingbox

jcastill

I seems to have lost access to the Slingbox in Mexico. It stopped working for a week, then came "back" and is offline now again. I will ask somebody to go and reset it and try everything again, including some public hotspots to see if I can find more information.

eferz Expert

One way to tell is http://support.slingbox.com

support.jpg

If you see any yellow are red status alerts then its probable there's something wrong at the Slingbox location.  You can click on them for the respective knowledge base article.

jcastill

I currently have Communications Status: Critical. Unfortunately Electricity in Mexico is not very stable and although it's plugged to a small UPS supply, it's been times in that place that we have gone with over 18hrs with no electricity and no bad weather...

Thanks for the advice, but my guess is the Modem just needs a restart...

dnahedge

Did you ever get this problem resolved?  I have the same problem.

I can access my remote slingbox from my laptop and watch the streaming video no problem.  I have 3 other computers running win XP and 7 in the house hooked to the same router and when I try to access the remote slingbox it says "connecting, starting streaming and then optimizing but" the video stream does not start.  2 ports on my computer are connected to the correct remote slingbox port but nothing comes back.

Only difference I can see is that the 3 that don't work have Norton 360 installed.  The laptop has Symantec endpoint protection.  I have tried turning off the firewall and allowing the relevant ports through but no success either with Slingplayer or the Browser player.

Not sure what to try next .  Any suggestions?

christophermccar

Same problem. I can connect from iPad, iPhone both on network and 3G, other home computers, but not a certain Dell laptop.  Crashes when optimizing.  Sling Player, Firefox and IE all crash at the same point.  Copied below the text from the SlingPlayerLog.txt file.

00:00:00.000  00001420          : ----- Log started 10/05/10 14:47:46 -----
                                  00:00:00.000  00001420          : Log Level: 1. Filter: NONE

00:00:00.000  00001420          : ----- New Filter 10/05/10 14:47:46 -----
                                  00:00:00.000  00001420          : Log Level: 1. Filter: NONE
                                  00:00:00.062  00001420          : Failed to load "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\2.0\SBProfile.xml": 00000001
                                  00:00:00.062  00001420          : Failed to open root node "SBProfile": 00000001
                                  00:01:46.156  00001420          : Failed to load "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Sling Media\SlingPlayer\2.0\SBProfile.xml": 00000001
                                  00:01:46.156  00001420          : Failed to open root node "SBProfile": 00000001
                                  00:02:11.687  00000878  SMSOCKET: WSA Err:10054 - 03C1CD28 CSMSocket::Receive(get ): General Error [Type = Control]
                                  00:02:11.687  00000878  SBDEVICE: Error occured for connectiontype: TCP, Error:0x80072746
                                  00:02:11.687  00000878  SBDEVICE: Error occured for connectiontype: TCP, Error:0x923400dc
                                  00:02:20.640  00000878  SBREQST : REQ_MESSAGE TIMEOUT : msg_type : 103
                                  00:02:32.828  00000878  SMSOCKET: WSA Err:10054 - 03C1CD60 CSMSocket::Receive(get ): General Error [Type = Control]

00:02:32.859  00000878  SBIL    : WARNING: SBILUnitialize() was called 2 times less than SBILItialize()
                                  00:02:32.859  00000878  SBIL    : Calling it now - process may be hanging on shutdown...

Here is what the SlingPlayer looks like right before it crashes without an error.  Firefox and IE don't give the guide update notice, just crash.

ScreenHunter_01 Oct. 05 14.50.gif

dnahedge

My problem is not quite the same, but similar.  After a while of "Optimizing" I get "there was a problem communicating with the slingbox.  Try connecting again later".  I ran a few other tests. Laptop that works does so on my home network, on 3G wireless card and on an external wireless network.  Another netbook with Win 7 and Norton 360 doesn't work on all three.  Therefore I am convinced that Norton 360 is blocking a critical communication to start streaming from a remote slingbox.  I also have a slingbox on the network in the house and there is no problem streaming that with these same computers.  It seems to block only the remote slingbox.

Next step is to remove Norton 360 and see if that changes the situaiton.

By the way, how did you create the log file and where do I find it?

scottralph

I have a similar problem. I have a sling box at my Aunts place in Milwaukee and i live in Oshkosh, I also have the dishnetwork sling adaptor on my network, i have the sling box app on my tablet. When i try to connect to my aunt's sling box in Milwaukee I only see my sling adaptor on my network. I am not sure why this is happening but I can connect to it from my work pc just fine so i know it is not a problem with the box it's self. I do see it has an option to connect to multiple boxes but the only one that will show is the dishnetwork one and that does not work with the sling app for android and the disnetwork app only works with the sling adaptor for my dvr.

Any thoughts on how this got messed up as it did work just fine with the dishnetwork adaptor on my home network and then i could connect to the slingbox in Milwaukee.

bkamrath

Similar problem here.  I found that some versions of ESET NOD32 antivirus block the ports required for Slingbox operation.

I've confirmed the problem on both the Slingplayer client as well as the web-based plugin.

Uninstall all security software as a troubleshooting step, and make sure your Windows-based firewall is also disabled.

Once  things are working smoothly, reinstall your security tools ONE AT A TIME and verify correct Slingbox operation.  That'll help you discover which app is actually to blame.  As I mentioned, in my case it was ESET's software.