6 Replies Latest reply: Feb 8, 2014 5:14 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Problem accessing my slingbox remotely

cymar

I purchased a Slingbox Pro HD in the UK in December. I set it up at home in the UK and it worked OK. I was able to try it from another location in the UK and again it was satisfactory.

I am now in Florida and Sky TV and Freeview were accessed successfully. 

However, after working OK for a week, while changing the source from freeview to Sky TV, all contact with the slingbox was lost. I have tried several times over the last week but have been unable to access my slingbox. I will be in Florida for 2 months and would like to fix this problem in this period.

The first stage of initializing is normal, but after attempting (unsuccessfully) to access my slingbox, the following messages appear.

There was an error connecting to your slingbox.

The slingbox or internet may be unreachable – Try connecting again Later

There’s a problem connecting with your slingbox. Make sure that the network and power lights are on, your router is set up correctly, and there are no firewalls blocking access. (code W200)

I switched off the firewall and it was still not possible to access my slingbox.

My slingbox is 3,000 miles away with no one able to check power lights etc.

Any suggestions?

Cymar

• Re: Problem accessing my slingbox remotely
          tricia.sling Newbie

Hello Cymar,

I apologize that you have been having these issues connecting to your Slingbox in the UK from the USA.

I am going to provide you an article from our support site that explains what w200 is;

I have checked your Slingbox it shows available but I cannot connect either. You may need to reset the Slingbox and reconfigure it at setup.slingbox.com. You also will want to make sure that you have UPNP enabled in the router.

Hopefully that will correct the issue.

Thank you,

Trish

The Sling Moderation Team

cymar

Hi Trish,

Thank you for your reply and thank you for trying to access my slingbox.

As the remedy seems to be only possible at the Slingbox it will have to

wait until I return to the UK in the middle of March. A pity as I had

bought the slingbox to watch some major sports in the next two months.

Assuming I can correct this in due course are there any steps I should take

(or avoid) to ensure this does not happen again?

Thanks again

Cyril Teed

alanrichey42 Master

Like many owners in the same position as you I have installed a remote power switch so I can recycle my Slingboxes (and Sky box) remotely. 

See http://www.belkin.com/uk/F7C027-Belkin/p/P-F7C027%3bjsessionid=046F2DA71AFA36A3C6C2E92C5280DE3C/

Obviously you cannot use these to recycle a router so I am also looking at one of these :  Item 350733688824 on E-Bay UK.   That one operates using SMS messages.   I'm still waiting for delivery as it comes from Hoing Kong.

cymar

Hi Alan,

Thanks for taking the trouble to respond to my problem, and thanks for the

suggestion.

If the fault is cured by switching the slingbox off, and back on again some

time later, then I will definitely explore your suggestion

Thanks

Cymar

cymar

You may be interested in an update on attempts to bring my slingbox back to life remotely!

After various suggestions I arranged for a friend to switch off the power to my slingbox and skybox for 15 minutes and then switched on again.

I waited a while and then tried to access the slingbox. Result - disappointment - the slingbox could still not be accessed.

Via the MyExPat network I was able to access the UK TV players. I accessed my sky account through this network and I arranged for a Sky recording to be made. I then checked my Slingbox and 'Eureka' - I was back with full access.

I cannot be sure whether just accessing the Sky account, or arranging the recording was the trigger that brought my Slingbox back to life.

It would seem that the Sky box was shut down and the Slingbox was unable to restart it.

I had occasionally experienced being unable to access the Sky box with the remote control when at home in the UK, and switching off the power for a short while fixed the problem. I am not sure if this is common fault with Sky boxes or just mine. Because of this I bought the Pro HD version of Slingbox assuming, if the Skybox fails, I would still be able to access the terrestial freeview service. However, I was not able to access either Sky or Freeview.

Hopefully this may help several others who have experienced this problem. It may also help Slingbox to find a solution to the problem

alanrichey42 Master
                              I had occasionally experienced being unable to access the Sky box with the remote control when at home in the UK, and switching off the power for a short while fixed the problem. I am not sure if this is common fault with Sky boxes or just mine.

A common fault, particulary with older boxes.  I have fitted a WeMo Wifi controlled power switch to my Sky Box so I can power cycle it from a remote location.