7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2014 12:27 PM by georgepedrick RSS

Full Screen Slingplayer for Ipad to TV (With Apple TV)

georgepedrick

For most of my applications, the video shows as full screen when using Apple TV yet Slingplayer does not as has black borders either side.

Can anyone suggest why this is and if there is a solution to this please?

• Re: Full Screen Slingplayer for Ipad to TV (With Apple TV)
          joelshooty

Which model Slingbox do you have?

What type of cable are you using to connect the Slingbox to your cable box? (Component, composite, or HDMI?)

georgepedrick

Hi Joel,

Firstly, sorry for the late reply. I’ve been away for a few days. I’ve answered your questions below:

1) My model is a Slingbox 350.

2) I am currently using a component cable to connect the slingbox to a cable box. I have tried using a composite cable but unfortunately with Sky +, it seems that they have blocked a HDMI splitter and therefore connecting composite cables are not possible.

I appreciate your help but I do fail to believe that this problem is at my end. I have a number of apps that work full screen so I can only come to the conclusion (unless there is signficant evidence to the contrary) that the problem is with the app.

The picture is full screen on my actual Ipad and is also full screen on my computer. It is when it is outputed via Apple TV that the black borders either side appear.

I’d be grateful if your app development team would investigate this as a matter of urgency as it is not acceptable.

Thank you in advance for your help.

joelshooty

First of all, I don't work for Sling.

Secondly, I asked about your setup because it's difficult to diagnose your problem without that information.

I'm a little confused about your comment regarding the composite cables and HDMI splitter. Can you explain why an HDMI splitter has anything to do with this?

Also - is it possible that you're confusing composite and component cables?

• I get black bars when using Airplay if I use composite cables (aka RCA cables or yellow/red/white cables).
                  • If I use component cables (aka red/blue/green cables) then I get full screen.
                      ferguspa Apprentice

joelshooty wrote:

• I get black bars when using Airplay if I use composite cables (aka RCA cables or yellow/red/white cables).
                      • If I use component cables (aka red/blue/green cables) then I get full screen.

joelshooty--that's interesting.  If you still have the equipment handy (and I'm curious what Slingbox you have), can you see if these buttons have an effect on non-mirroring AirPlay using the composite input:

Options -> Letterbox

Options -> Standard

Options -> Auto Detect

Options -> Zoom

Curious if the combination of AirPlay from a composite input causes some part of the device chain to default to 4:3 "Standard" aspect ratio, and whether it's possible to adjust that from SlingPlayer for iDevices.  It would imply that AirPlay and just plain streaming from the Slingbox would have their own separate aspect ratio settings and that it would be possible to set them independently.

ferguspa Apprentice

I just recalled I had enough equipment to try this--note these tests are on my LAN and not using AirPlay Mirroring.  My normal setup:

DirecTV HR24 -Component-> Slingbox 350 -Slinging-> iPhone 5S (iOS 7.0.4) with SlingPlayer for iPhone 3.7.13 -AirPlay-> Apple TV (third generation) -HDMI-> Onkyo TX-NR515 receiver -HDMI-> Sharp LC 46D64U TV

AirPlay outputs a 16:9 picture.  Compare to my test setup:

DirecTV HR24 -Component-> Monoprice 7114 Component to Composite adapter -Composite-> Slingbox 350 -Slinging-> iPhone 5S (iOS 7.0.4) with SlingPlayer for iPhone 3.7.13 -AirPlay-> Apple TV (third generation) -HDMI-> Onkyo TX-NR515 receiver -HDMI-> Sharp LC 46D64U TV

AirPlay outputs a 4:3 picture with black pillars on both sides of the picture (note that Slinging to the iPhone appears correctly in 16:9).  The 16:9 picture is squashed horizontally, causing people to appear very thin.  The following buttons on SlingPlayer for iPhone have no effect:

Options -> Letterbox

Options -> Standard

Options -> Auto Detect

Options -> Zoom

With the test composite setup I could adjust the output of the HR24 and end up with a windowboxed image on the TV and then zoom that image on the TV, but that would be less than ideal.

Switching inputs from component to composite on the Slingbox 350 results in a switch from 16:9 to 4:3 AirPlay video output.  Sling forum moderators, can you explain the steps necesary to output 16:9 video via AirPlay from a composite input?

georgepedrick

Thanks for your help so far Joel. With regards to the HDMI Splitter, my explanation is as follows... My Slingbox 350 is connected to a Sky + box. It is possible to connect the composite cables to the sky box but there is nowhere to connect the component cables.

Consequently, I bought a component cable which has the red/blue/green cables as the input then HDMI as the output. My Sky + has only one HDMI slot so I bought a HDMI splitter in the hope that I could then connect the component cable. This isn't possible as Sky have blocked the ability to use a HDMI splitter.

I think you are correct however and I may well have confused component and composite in my first post. If so, apologies and hopefully all is now clear.

If I have only have one HDMI output (and Sky block a splitter)/there is no slots for the green/red/blue cables then is there any other way that you could suggest that would allow me to use component cables (red/green/blue) over composite cables please?

Thanks again for your help.