7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 7, 2014 11:48 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Set top box compatibility

BurtonT6

Is there a way to get the slingbox 500 to work with a set top box that only has a coax in and out?  I have not RCA audio video jacks on the stb, i tried routing the signal through a VCR with no luck.  The stb box is a free box from my cable provider and it's the cheapest one they give, trying to avoid renting one with RCA audio video.

• Re: Set top box compatibility
          alanrichey42 Master

Routing it through a VCR should have worked.   What exactly do you mean by "no luck" ?

BurtonT6

When I power the Slingbox on I see the Slingbox logo then the screen goes blank.

My setup is as follows coax into the stb, coax out to the in on the VCR, coax out to the tv, RCA audio video out on the VCR to the in on the Slingbox, not sure what is going on.

alanrichey42 Master

OK.   You need to check if the VCR has been tuned in correctly.   Not sure about your system (UK/Europe/USA), but in the USA the STB will be sending the signal out on Ch3 or Ch4 and you will have tuned the TV to one of those channels ?    Have you also tuned the VCR to that channel ?

What happens if you take the coax out direct to the TV ?   If you don't get a picture then it is nothing to do with the Slingbox.

BurtonT6

I am in Canada with Rogers the setup sounds like it's the same as yours.

Everything is setup to go through channel 3, VCR/TV/stb all on channel 3, I can actually watch cable through the VCR on my TV, the slingbox doesn't seem to get audio video with this setup.

Coax out direct to TV, just the TV works, the slingbox doesn't

alanrichey42 Master

But what happens if you disconnect the coax from the TV and feed it from the yellow output from the STB ?   (Selecting the right input of course)

BurtonT6

I have three TVs and three STB boxes at home, the sling box works fine on a STB that has RCA audio/video (the family uses that TV most of the time so I prefer the sling box on another tv)

The TV in our basement has only a cheap STB box with  RCA audio video out just coax hence the VCR idea.

One troubleshooting idea i haven't tried is coax into VCR and RCA a/v out to TV see if that works if it doesn't I think I am pretty much SOL and have to pony up for another STB