5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 29, 2014 4:41 PM by dewdude RSS

Question

jcsmas

I can't access my slingbox remotely if the cable box is turned off. Is that normal?

• Re: Question
          anthony.sling Apprentice

Hey jcsmas,

In order to get a video signal on the Slingbox, the video source that is connected to the Slingbox must be powered on. If you try to connect on a device, and you only get a black screen, this means that you are connected to the Slingbox but the Slingbox is not receiving a video signal to display. All you would need to do at this point is hit the power button on the remote function on the device you are connected to.

Best Regards,

Sling Media Moderation Team

jcsmas

Anthony, I appreciate your reply very much however I can't access the remote control to turn on my cable box unless I am connected to the sling box. I still can't access the SB350 unless the cable box is already on.

chakkarinen Apprentice

jcmas, I used to have problems with my cable box not turning itself back on after a power outage (from thunderstorm or other severe storm).   I had to work with my cable company to provide a software (firmware?) upgrade to the cable box to force it to turn itself back on when house power was restored.  Since then, I've had no problems in getting both the cable box turned back on and the Slingbox 350 talking to it after the power was restored.

dewdude Newbie

Anthony, I appreciate your reply very much however I can't access the remote control to turn on my cable box unless I am connected to the sling box. I still can't access the SB350 unless the cable box is already on.

You didn't do something silly like plug your Slingbox up to the outlet on the back of the cable box that's only on when the box is on? That's the only thing I can think of. I can disconnect all inputd to my 350 and you can still connect, you can even send remote commands; it just says "no input signal".