14 Replies Latest reply: Aug 1, 2014 8:37 AM by dispencer RSS

What on earth is Custom14?

stringer3 Newbie

Hi

When I access my slingbox solo via slingcatcher and try to get to the planner, I have always (of course) pressed the green button.  Now suddenly the screen says I have chosen Custom14 and I cannot access the planner.  What to do?  Help desperately needed, please!

• Re: What on earth is Custom14?
          stringer3 Newbie

I have now realised that none of the coloured buttons on the slingcatcher remote are properly assigned to the corresponding coloured buttons on the sky remote

The reason is, I am sure, because I have recently changed sky boxes to the new 2tb model, which come with a black sky remote.  No problem on the ipad slingplayer.  The new sky remote is displayed and the colored buttons work as intended

So how do I correctly assign all the slingcatcher coloured buttons?  They are all called custom followed by a number

Please help.  I am in France accessing the slinbox/sky box on the slingcatcher

I didn't have to assign them with the old sky box.  They automatically worked

alanrichey42 Master

If you had Googled 'programming slingcatcher colour buttons' you would have got this

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000032.html

Easy eh ?

stringer3 Newbie

Thanks, alanrichey.  I had meanwhile found that very article!  As you say, easy, so even I have managed it!  The colours were simply attached to wrong functions

Now, is there any way I can get rid of, say, custom15, and replace it with the sky designation, for instance, planner etc. or at least the colours, green for instance?

alanrichey42 Master

No

(I could give you a full techincal explanation if you like, but it won't help)

stringer3 Newbie

ok, that's clear!  It's just that when I had the old sky box, the designations were green, blue etc. and not custom14 etc.

stringer3 Newbie

Hi

Actually, if you have the time, I would be interested in a technical explanation!

alanrichey42 Master

OK, although I will warn you this is all guesswork.  Regardless of how much I help Sling Media out of the hole they have dug themselves with unsupported devices and remote controls, they have never offered me any help or information on how the system actually works.   So this is just what I think has happened, but I might be completely wrong so take it with a pinch of salt

Back in the mists of time when they came up with the idea of IR Remotes they needed to have some sort of standard to use when the Slingplayer virtual remote communicates with the Slingbox.  They decided to adopt a standard used by JP1 programmable remotes, as they were using the same IR chipsets.   This 'standard' allocated a numerical code to every button on a Remote Control.  So for example, if you tap the CH+ button then Slingplayer sends the code 4 to the Slingbox  (The BIN file you downloaded to your Slingbox is simply a table to tell the Slingbox what IR Code to transmit to the AV Device for each of these codes, as they will obviously very from device to device). If you tap the '4' button it sends the Code 11, Play is 24, Up-Arrow is 38 and so on. 

This standard defines 61 buttons that the designers thought would appear on an IR Remote.   But they had enough sense to realise that manufactures would come up with buttons they hadn't though of (Audio, Teletext, My DVR... for example) so they allocated a further 20 codes (62-81) and called them Custom 10, Custom 11,.....Custom 29.

So now Sling come to design their virtual remotes.   Most of the buttons are well defined so they use the appropriate code, for those like Telextext, Audio etc they just pick one of the Custom codes and use that.   Unfortunately they did not use any sort of standardisation, so the Teletext button on one remote might use Custom 15 (Code 67)  and on another it might use Custom 20 (Code 72).   I assume they were built by different programmers who just didn't talk to each other.

And now we come to your problem.    When all this started, colour buttons were not standard on most remotes,   So if the programmers had to implement the colour buttons then they just picked some of the Custom Buttons at random.  Although to be fair, they were normally concurrent.

A couple of years ago they realised that colour buttons were becoming standard on most remotes and decided they needed to standardise on the codes.  For reasons I have never understood they picked Custom 22 to Custom 26 (Codes 74-78) , for the five colours (Red, Green, Yellow, Blue,White).   And now all virtual remotes they build use those codes for the colour buttons.

So this is why you are seeing things differently.   If you install a recent virtual remote it will use Custom 22-26, and the Slingcatcher will show them on the display as the correct colours and everyone is happy.   But you must have installed a much older remote that didn't use those new standard codes and whoever programmed it used Custom 13-17 for the buttons, so the Green button was actually Custom 14.  Unfortunately the Slingcatcher firmware had been updated to expect Custom 22 to 26 for the colours, so it would display it as Custom 14.

To be fair to Sling, they probably realised they had screwed up so I guess that is why they added the function to re-program the colour buttons to match the values used in older BIN files.

Hope that makes some sort of sense ?

Al

dispencer Novice

Unfortunately not.  This link takes me to an ad for the 350 on the Sling UK site!  How on earth do I go to the support page?