9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2014 4:23 PM by slingbk0000 RSS

Way to go, Sling Media, you shafted us Mac users--AGAIN.

bobsling

The new version of the web player plugin says that my Mac doesn't meet the minimum system requirements, but it also won't let me keep using an older version of the plugin that is compatible with my Mac (a Mac Pro w/2 x 2.66GHz Intel CPU and Mac OS X 10.6.8).

What other company refuses to allow users to continue using a working older version of their product?

Tech support tried their best to help me, but they don't have any real answers. They suggested upgrading my Mac, getting a Windows computer, using the desktop player (which doesn't support HD) or using an embedded version of the player.

This kind of inferior Mac support has been a fact of this company ever since I bought my Slingbox Pro-HD and they promised to have a Mac version of the desktop player that would support HD viewing. It never happened, and now the Mac desktop player hasn't been updated since 2009.

These things shouldn't surprise me anymore. I won't be shocked if they force-disable my my Slingbox Pro-HD by making me install a firmware update that deliberately renders it inoperable in the hopes that I will upgrade to a newer Slingbox.

But whatever they do, make no mistake: I'm a Mac user and I will NEVER buy another Slingbox.

• Re: Way to go, Sling Media, you shafted us Mac users--AGAIN.
          OvCollyer Apprentice

That's pretty bad - they definitely shouldn't be doing that.

They should stop all these forced plugin and firmware updates IMO, they're a recipe for disaster.

From features/functionality coming and going randomly to firmware upgraded rendering some users' boxes useless/in need of a reset (what if you're away?) it's just such a bad idea.

Just do what everyone else does Sling, inform the user there is new software but give them the option as to whether to install or not?!

AndyK Newbie

Have you tried playing about with the user agent in Safari ?

Safari -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Show Develop menu in menu bar.

Then select Develop -> User Agent -> Other then paste in the following ;-

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_9_1) AppleWebKit/537.73.11 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.1 Safari/537.73.11

It might fool the plugin to think its running Safari 7.0.1 and Maverics

http://whatsmyuseragent.com/WhatsAUserAgent

ferguspa Apprentice

I sympathize, however FWIW this isn't restricted to just Macs--Watch on Slingbox.com has had operating systems removed from support (e.g. Windows XP, Mac OS X 10.6) so a setup that worked "yesterday" may not work "today".  AFAIK, there are only a few workarounds that don't descend into using virtual machines or additional (typically mobile) hardware:

- Use the Flash-based player on SlingPlayer Embedded (or possibly SlingPlayer on Facebook), however you have no guarantee that that rug won't be pulled out from under you "tomorrow".

- Use the standalone desktop SlingPlayer software (still works on OS X 10.9 Mavericks, amazingly) if one's Slingbox is supported by it (practically any Slingbox except the 350 and 500) and the quality is acceptable (maximum streaming resolution of 640x480)

But if neither of the above are acceptable, you're on the treadmill of keeping up to date with What browsers and systems are supported by Watch on Slingbox.com? I imagine that Sling Inc./Dish Network has the data and knows exactly how many Watch on Slingbox.com users they're cutting off when they cut support for a particular OS or browser.

None of this is news to you, bobsling, but might be helpful if someone stumbles across this thread in the future.

OvCollyer Apprentice

I expect someone could probably have a field day with this if they could be bothered.

It can't be right that you can go and spend $$$ on a Slingbox based on the OS/browser requirements at the time, and then one day it simply stops working through no action of your own with the only solution to buy a new version of your OS, which in turn might even necessitate buying a new PC.

That's got to be not only morally wrong but legally too?

I completely get that they can't support older OSs/browsers indefinitely but surely they shouldn't be rendering older versions inoperable by forced upgrades?

jeffreydn

I am also disappointed. I owned an original slingbox and was surprised at how bad the software and experience is with my new 350 on my home network. Now I login with my computer running 10.6.8 max and I can't watch, even though this was supported before. Big let down overall.

bobsling

I went ahead and installed the latest plugin and it does seem to work OK on my Mac Pro under 10.6.8. I'm using Wi-Fi on my home network and not remote Internet viewing, so maybe that is a factor in my favor.

So it turns out that the "minimum system requirements" appear to really be just a recommendation. Maybe Sling Media is just covering their ***** by saying that about minimum requirements so that people won't purchase new Slingboxes expecting them to work unless they own faster/newer Macs.

I do still wish that I had the option to keep using older an version of the plugin, but at the end of the day, my older Intel Mac is still working with my older Slingbox. I guess I should feel happy...or lucky.

F1Mikal2

Yea, I went ahead and installed it, and it works fine.

So far.