2 Replies Latest reply: Jan 1, 2014 10:49 PM by menzieschen RSS

Remote codes for C-BOX H101 (most obscure box ever?)

menzieschen

Hi, I'm looking for the remote codes for an IPTV Set-top box. The only markings on the box are "C-BOX H101" on the front. I found an Alibaba post that has a picture of it here (I used Google Translate to convert it to English from Chinese): http://detail.1688.com/offer/1192077907.html

I am trying to program a Slingbox 350 to send remote codes to this box. My Mother-in-Law has this at her home in San Jose, CA, and she is coming to visit me in San Diego, CA to help my wife and I take care of a 5-month old baby. I'd like to be able to provide her with television. I sent her a Slignbox, and my Father-in-Law was able to set it up to capture programming, except for the remote control part! A working remote is in San Jose, so it is not with me. Neither of us currently has a Logitech Harmony remote to read codes in.

What would I need to do in order to generate a .bin file for the Slingbox to send the proper codes? I've searched JP1 and here for C-BOX and H101 to no avail, and I have sent an email to the Alibaba contact (with low expectations on a return answer), so I imagine I would need some way to capture the remote output and translate that into the .bin file format.

I've seen that others who have a Logitech Harmony can learn the codes from the original remote and have the .bin extracted somehow, but as I mentioned, neither of us currently has a Logitech Harmony. Is getting a Harmony the easiest way to do this? And if so, is the learning and code export process easy enough that I could instruct my FIL to do it? Or would it be best to have him, say, ship me the remote for a bit so that I can pull out the codes, before I ship the remote back to him?

I also have a remote that controls a Windows 7 HTPC, which means it comes with a IR receiver. Is there a way to use that IR receiver to learn remote codes directly to program a .bin file?

Sorry for the long post, but I'd really like to be able to provide remote television for my Mother-in-Law. Thanks for reading!

Menzies

• Re: Remote codes for C-BOX H101 (most obscure box ever?)
          alanrichey42 Master
          I've seen that others who have a Logitech Harmony can learn the codes from the original remote and have the .bin extracted somehow, but as I mentioned, neither of us currently has a Logitech Harmony. Is getting a Harmony the easiest way to do this?

Hi

The Harmony 'trick' is only normally used by me.   I help people with unsupported boxes by installng their devices onto my Harmony Remote so that I can use it to 'mimic' the original remote, analyse the codes and build the BIN file.   Unfortunately, you won't be surprised to hear that the C-Box is not a recognised device on the Logitech database so I cannot help directly.   If you did have access to a Harmony (you can pick up a 659 for $30 on E-Bay), then you (or FIL) can use that to learn all the button codes in the same way.   But then you can upload that configuration to my Harmony account so I can download it to my Harmony account and see the codes.   Make sense ?

is the learning and code export process easy enough that I could instruct my FIL to do it? Or would it be best to have him, say, ship me the remote for a bit so that I can pull out the codes, before I ship the remote back to him?

The procedure is relatively easy although the 'standard' method is to just download from the database and your FIL won't be able to that, he will have to do a fair amount to work to learn the codes.   But if you decide to go that way and your FIL struggles I am quite happy to produce a 'dummies' guide for you.

The alternative is to buy a JP-1 compatible Learning Remote and do it yourself.  But it isn't for the faint hearted   This is the guide I wrote about it:  http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Create_Custom_Remote_Controls_and_use_them_on_your_Slingbox

I also have a remote that controls a Windows 7 HTPC, which means it comes with a IR receiver. Is there a way to use that IR receiver to learn remote codes directly to program a .bin file?

Not that I know of.    You would be better asking that in the JP1 forum.

Easiest solution might be to buy another STB that is supported    Try this link to check:  http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000164

and if you can't find one then this link gives the Harmony supported boxes, which would mean I could build the BIN file directly.  http://www.logitech.com/harmony/components

Hope all that helps.

Al

• Re: Remote codes for C-BOX H101 (most obscure box ever?)
              menzieschen

Thanks, Al. 

Just to update the community, a forum member from the JP-1 forums is local to where my FIL is, and generously offered to visit and learn the codes from the box itself. This and the JP-1 community are truly amazing! Once I have the .bin file, I will upload to the sling community here.

If for some reason this doesn't work, I will go ahead and get a Logitech Harmony and follow your advice here.

Thanks again!

Menzies