4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2013 7:57 PM by ferguspa RSS

Remote control doesn't appear in web player

wobbegong

Hi.

I have the same issue as https://community.sling.com/message/94121. i.e. when i click 'show/hide remote control' in the web player nothing happens.

1. I have tried Chrome, Firefox and Safari browsers - same result in all three
      2. I have turned off popup blockers - no change.
      3. I have re-run the setup of my Slingbox solo and redownloaded the Sky+ remote - no change

I can control the channels with the channel up and channel down buttons but I need the remote control.

I am running Mac OSX 10.7.5.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Re: Remote control doesn't appear in web player
          stanley.sling Apprentice

Hello wobbegong,

I understand that you are unable to pull up the virtual remote in any browser on your Mac. One possible cause of this could be that your Java is not up-to-date. Please check for an update for your Java on that machine and let us know if the issue persists.

Hope this helps!

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team

ferguspa Apprentice

StanelyShaw, are you sure?  My Mac running Mavericks doesn't have Java installed at all and SlingPlayer Web works fine under Safari.

Or are you suggesting that an installed, out-of-date version of Java can interfere with SlingPlayer Web for the Mac?

stanley.sling Apprentice

Hello again ferguspa,

Yes, the remote runs off of Java so this would be the most likely culprit.

Best regards,

Sling Media Forum Moderation Team

ferguspa Apprentice

I grabbed a freshly-built Mac running Mavericks that does not have Java (nor Flash Player) installed and was able to stream from newwatch.slingbox.com.  I grabbed a second Mac that does not have Java installed and also was able to take the screenshot below, where:

- OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks is installed

- Watch on SlingPlayer.com is streaming through Safari

- The remote is working correctly (my wife would let me know if it wasn't)

- javatester.org fails to run because of a "Missing [Java] Plug-in"

- Safari plugin management preferences does not list Java as being installed

- The command-line "java" binary responds "No Java runtime present" results in a dialog requesting Java be installed

Possibly the remote runs via Java on Windows?  Or possibly the remote relies on JavaScript?  IIRC, the remote used to run Flash Player, but I think the remote control reliance on Flash Player (or any plugin beyond the SlingPlayer for Web plugin) was removed with this update.

Screen Shot 2013-12-30 at 8.59.46 PM.png