8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 21, 2014 9:02 PM by mazecreator RSS

This new firmware ruined my slingbox 500

ACC179615

Had to run the new firmware update this morning just to watch tv. It said at one point it was going to take 10 minutes. With 3 minutes left the slingbox restarts. When it comes back up it gets stuck on the slingbox logo startup screen. I left it alone for the rest of the day. Came home from work and ut was still on the same screen. Shut the power down to it.....same thing.  Reset to factory defaults by holding the reset button and watching the network light 2 times. After that it ran through the firmware update ut did tge same thing. Got stuck on the same slingbox logo screen.  Thanks fir ruining my slingbox with your firmware update. Worked fine until then.

• Re: This new firmware ruined my slingbox 500
          slic33

I have this exact same problem. I've factory reset twice now and the update (which I'm forced to install) continues to break it. Please stop pushing this update out until you fix it. For now, I guess I have a $300 slingbox paperweight.

katie.sling Apprentice

Hi ACC179615,

Thank you for using our answers forums. Sorry to hear you are having issues with your Slingbox. If you are getting this logo, a full factory reset generally helps the issue. You would need to press the reset button for 45 seconds. When you release it, you will see the start up screen. You will need to go back through the entire setup, but the full reset will generally fix the problem. This article below should help further.

Hope this helps.

The Sling Moderation Team 

slic33

Katie,

Did you read the posts here? We've all done the factory reset thing. It works until the new update is re-installed, then it breaks again. Have they fixed the update?

leanne.sling Newbie

Hi slic33,

Thank you for posting to the forums! I understand that you have already tried the factory reset and are still having the issue with the update. What I would suggest is to reset the Slingbox and try the update while the Slingbox is hardwired to the router. The update may be too large to download on the wifi.

• First we need to unplug the Slingbox from the cable box.
                    • Take the Slingbox and the router along with the power cable.
                    • With the Slingbox connected to the router you can now reset the Slingbox. (press and hold reset button for 45 seconds)
                    • Next on the computer go to watch.
                    • Then you should be prompted to complete the setup by first installing the update.
                    • Once the setup is complete on the computer you can then take the Slingbox back to the TV and setup the wifi.
                    • To setup the wifi once the 500 menu is on the TV go to settings and network connection.
                    • There you may select connect via Ethernet.

Please let us know if that update still gets stuck after restarting. 

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,

The Sling Moderation Team - Leanne

slic33

Thanks for the input. However, taking over a month to respond with a decent answer is absolutely inexcusable. I love this product (when it works), but I'm not sure I've ever encountered worse customer service.

mazecreator

Hi Leanne,

I only get this this:

• First we need to unplug the Slingbox from the cable box.
                          • Take the Slingbox and the router along with the power cable.
                          • With the Slingbox connected to the router you can now reset the Slingbox. (press and hold reset button for 45 seconds)
                          • Next on the computer go to watch.
                          • Then you should be prompted to complete the setup by first installing the update.
                          • Once the setup is complete on the computer you can then take the Slingbox back to the TV and setup the wifi.
                          • To setup the wifi once the 500 menu is on the TV go to settings and network connection.
                          • There you may select connect via Ethernet.

At this point it trying to

SlingBox is checking for an update...

Then after several minutes I get the following:

Slingbox Update Didn't StartBriefly press the Reset button on the back of your Slingbox.
                          Then click RECONNECT to try again.

I get similar sitution using the Menu System.  I click "START" and it askes me to setup the internet.  I have tried wireless and wired, once it gets connected, it checks for an update and a box pops up and states there is no update available.  It then returns me back to the "continue" button to check for an update.  There is no way past this for some reason.  It doesn't ask to configure inputs or anything.

So I can only get to the Internet Connection and no further on the startup screen.

Thanks,
                          Greg

dannyzucko

Just bought a new Slingbox 500. Support says that the server is down and they are working on getting it back up. Once you reset your slingbox you have to wait until slingbox support is able to fix the update problem. Until then we are **** out of luck. Thanks Slingbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Sarcasm)