33 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2010 10:32 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Logitec harmony IR adapter and slingbox

kd5dvl

I recently upgraded my slingbox from the original to PRO HD, not for the HD, but the multiple connections, the HD was just a bonus......

I had an idea, and haven't found anyone else with the idea as of yet, but it should work.

I have a PS3 that I am using as a media server, which works fantastic in that respect, however I want to use it with Slingbox also.

As you know the PS3 uses Bluetooth for control purposes, however Logitec makes an adapter:   http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remotes/universal_remotes/devices/5732

I can use the harmony remote along with this adapter to control everything in my entertainment center, to include the PS3.

If there was support for the Harmony adapter with Slingbox, then I could control the PS3 remotely via the slingbox interface.

Has anybody tried this yet?

I would be genuinely interested if anyone could help me with this project.

• Re: Logitec harmony rf adapter and slingbox
          BrandonC Novice

The Slingbox uses IR not RF. You would need something that can send or convert an IR signal to the PS3. If you had something like that I am sure a remote could be made. This would be more of an off-topic project that this site is not suitable for. If interested in trying to figure it out then I would suggest you post the question here.

• Re: Logitec harmony IR adapter and slingbox
            Mylriahd

I too am very interested in this...  I have a somewhat unique setup:

A) I brought a Slingbox to Tokyo and hooked it up to a PS3 with Torne. I can now watch JP TV at home in Seattle. My Japanese wife loves it.

B) Unfortunately, I can't come up with a good way to control the PS3.  I have 2 known options:

1)  The Harmony Remote option discussed in this thread -- which now sounds like maybe is not as promising as I hoped it would be (at least, not if I want functions beyond basic PS2 functions)

2)  Use the PSP to control the system, which will require two routers using DD-WRT & Open VPN to create a local network link to the remote Tokyo location since Torne does not accept PSP control from over the Internet. Crazy complex.

So I'd be very interested in learning more about what it takes to get the slingbox to control a PS3 remotely...

A question: Does anyone know if the PS2 remote's "up down left right" can move the PS3's XMB?  Because thats what would make just using the PS2 option in SlingBox not work for me if it can't. If it CAN, then thats honestly good enough for me -- i'm not trying to play discs or change camera angles or anything.

-Dan

eferz Expert

The PS3 doesn't have IR sensors like the PS2.  The PS3 can only be controlled remotely by a bluetooth device.  The Slingbox only uses IR blasters to control various set-top boxes.  So, you will a device that will act as a bridge between IR and bluetooth like the Harmony Adapter for PLAYSTATION3.

However, there seems to have been a problem, the tools which to learn and program the codes for the Slingbox.  It was discussed on this thread (http://hifi-rem.ipower.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=85927&sid=e7426424d6b989e87d42e17a21281e6e).  Hmmm.... It appears that Tom was able to use Vicki's file to create upgrade files for it.

Let me try to tinker with it to see if I can create files for it.

eferz Expert

Okay, I imported Vicki's text file (http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=8275) into Remote Master (http://controlremote.sourceforge.net/).  This allowed me to create "ps3 Bluetooth Adapter.rmdu", in which turn allowed me to create the following two bin files, "V1128_PL.bin" and "V1128_RV.bin".  You can upload these bin files into your Slingbox using Slingplayer Desktop.  If it works, it should allow the Slingbox to interact with the Harmony Adapter for Playstaiton 3 (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/remotes/universal-remotes/devices/5732) to ultimately control the PS3.

I've chosen to use the following skin for this remote.

Sony-HXD870.jpg

Most of the virtual labels are directly translated from the physcial Playstation 3 Blu-Ray Remote (http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/scph-9804611.html), except for the following.

Virtual   RemoteActual Function
                    PowerPlaystation Symbol
                    Prog+R1
                    Prog-R2
                    InputR3
                    TV/DVDStart
                    InfoTime
                    SYSTEM MENUPop-UP
                    TITLE LISTTop Menu
                    RECCircle
                    REC STOPSquare
                    HDD/DVD(DUB)Cross
                    REC MODETriangle
                    TV PauseL3
                    ZoomL2
                    PLAY MODEL1

If anyone wants to test these files out, instructions are here:

Please use these options in the setup assistant:

Device Type: Other Controllable Device

Manufacturer: Sony

Model: Other

Custom Code: V1128

All the files are here in the following attachement.

Mylriahd

Wow, you are awesome.  Even if this doesn't work, I really appreciate your time.  I'll be sure to report back what I find; it'll take time since I need to send the stuff to Tokyo and then walk my nephew through updates.

Thanks again!

-Dan

eferz Expert

You're welcome.  Glad I could help.  Though you should really thank Alan and Vicki for doing all the hard work.  All I did was play logistical connect-the-dots.

Mylriahd

Thank you to EVERYONE. I hope this works!

Is there a way to emulate what the slingbox does with the IR emitter?  I'm trying to find someone locally who has a slingbox w/ PS3 that I can test this with, but so far no bites.  I'd love to find out that it works BEFORE sending things to Tokyo.

Thanks again everyone; I'll definitely keep this thread updated with results.

Mylriahd

Maybe a better question: is there a way to go through slingbox setup over the Internet?  I realize it's restricted to local network for security, but thats obviously difficult for me. Best I can hope for is a remote desktop session to the apartment in Tokyo. If there is a way to enable the "yes I know I am asking for trouble" setting of allowing setup connections over the Internet, that would make part of this easier for me.

Thanks again.

eferz Expert

The Slingplayer Desktop can configure the Slingbox remotely over the internet.  Its just that the first time setup needs to be done locally.

Btw, I'm curious since these IR codes control the Logitech Harmony Adapter for the Playstation 3.  Not the the Playstation 3 directly, so I'm not sure what results your expecting without the Harmony Adapter.

Mylriahd

Sorry I'm not very clear; I'm trying to be concise and not bore anyone with excess detail.  Here's the full scoop:

* I have a slingbox hooked up to a PS3 in Japan at my sister-in-law's place. The visual works great, I just can't control the thing yet.

* I've looked at a few options for controlling the PS3 that I listed above: As "simple" as using the IR -> Bluetooth adapter (of which Harmony seems to have the cheapest, most well-known option) to as geeky gooey as setting up a VPN tunnel to the other house using two routers and controlling it with a PSP using RemotePlay (a PS3 feature).

* I decided to go with the Harmony option, as it is the cheapest even if relatively untested. (And if this fails horribly, I have a Harmony remote so I can get it back and use it at home).

* So, I intend to send the Harmony Remote adapter to Tokyo and have someone there pair it with the PS3 and then put one the SlingBox's remote emitters on it. THIS won't be a problem

* The unknown is how to get the remote control files you provided put into the slingbox. Your latest message implies that if I drop those files into my slingplayer directory here locally it will update the slingbox for me (rather than requiring the local network connection)  Those last two sets of questions were related to the fact that I don't have a slingbox here locally for me to experiment with, mine is happily streaming a single channel to me from Tokyo.

So thats where I'm at.  I hope that makes more sense.  Probably Monday I'll send the adapter out and with luck they'll have it next week and I can start experimenting. If I CAN update the slingbox with the remote files from here at home, then this will be much less painful for the nice folks hosting my slingbox.

Thanks again!

kd5dvl

Just to let you all know, it is working like a charm.

I was pretty busy this week with work, but i was following the thread, and it is working better than i had hoped.

I now have a way to stream media from my home network to my blackberry, and control it as well.....

controls suck on a blackberry, but they are there, and can be used.

Thank all of you for the work you put in..... also, for the guy who needs to stream media from one location to another... you might want to check out pimp streamer.......

it was originally designed for the PSP with homebrew modifications... allowed you to stream media from your network to your psp, and if you configure your router correctly, you can stream it across the iternet.... i was watching my media files in kuwait on my psp.

it doesnt stop there either.... you can view it on a web browser on any pc...... so you dont even need a PSP to run it and take advantage....

so, here is the quick breakdown.......

get a free DNS server ie: http://www.dyndns.com

get pimpstreamer  http://www.pimpware.org/PiMPStreamerSetup-1.0.msi

setup pimpstreamer

setup your router to allow port 3333 to be open

then configure your url like this http://yourfreeDNSIPgoesHere.com:3333

sitback and browse the media on your pc remotely..... it takes a few seconds to start streaming, but it is awesome

Mylriahd

Hello all,

I finally got to try this since my adapter arrived in Tokyo yesterday, and it works awesome!  The only issue is I can't find "REC MODE" on the virtual remote to do Triangle, nor  HDD/DVR for Cross.

Is it relatively easy to remap functions on the virtual remote?  What tools would I need to do so?

Thank you!

-Dan

eferz Expert

You can get the Remote Master software to juggle around the functions to the keymaps.

Its located here (http://controlremote.sourceforge.net/), the RMDU document should already be included in the zip file that I posted with the bin files.  You'd load that file with the Remote Master to change the settings.  Then you can export the binaries to the appropriate Slingbox "remote".

First off thanks for the great work on this.

I've gotten it working but I'm not able to remap the keys.

Basically I can't get a CROSS button in my Android player for some reason.  I modified your .rmdu file and just put CROSS for PLAY and a bunch of other buttons but they don't register.

The only button for me that works for CROSS is the ENTER button on the remote keypad.  Unfortunately it doesn't work on the Android player because I guess that button works slightly differently in the Android player.

I may be doing this wrong. I just open the rmdu file in Remote Master, go to the Buttons tab, and map CROSS to a bunch of buttons.  I then export the bin, copy it to my Slingplayer directory where the bin files are (can't recall the exact name), then I load Slingplayer, go to configure video sources, then add the keyboard as V1128.  It loads the new remote but the CROSS button never registers.. (Yes I make sure to check that my controller is set to '1').

Any thoughts?

alanrichey42 Master

Do your changes work on the PC SlingPlayer ?   I would check that first as Sling have done some wierd things with the Android player so you first need to know if you are doing something wrong or if it is Sling's Android implementation.

Al

I guess it is a problem with my custom remote.  They dont work on the desktop or web player either.

When I export from Remotemaster I only get one file.  I noticed two in the example file (.bin files).

All  I am doing is opening the rmdu file posted above and going to the buttons tab and mapping the keys there then exporting.  Then import into Slingplayer and it says successful but no changes when I try.

alanrichey42 Master

I always produce both RV & PL BIN files for the Europe and US Slingboxes as they have different IR chips.  But you must be using the right one otherwsie you would get an error message when you enter the code.

Please post the RMDU file here and detail EXACTLY what changes you want and I will try producing a new Custom Remote.

Here is my .rmdu file.

I only want the PS3 controller buttons active and I've removed everything else.

To be honest I'd be happy with UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, cross/circle/square/triangle, PS button

I downloaded the MAP and RDF files from the Remote Master link. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but if you could give it a try I would be very appreciative.

I've also included the bin file that I get when I export, which doesn't work for me.

alanrichey42 Master

The RMDU file looks fine, in fact I was involoved in it's production,   So a couple of thoughts:

1.  You are producing an RV file for non-USA Slingboxes.  Is that correct ?  To be safe I suggest you also produce a PL file and put both of them in the \SBAV\ folder.

2.  You are, correctly, using the setup code 1128.  However, using that code can hide an error on your part.  When you type in the Custom Code during the setup, if your Slingbox does not see the BIN file in your \SBAV\ folder then it will not display an error, it will simply use the built-in V1128 remote, which will not have your changes incorporated.  So I would suggest changing the code to 2012, which is not built in, and produce 2 new BIN files and try those.   That will show if you are doing everything correctly.

Cheers

Al

255909603984300

My Slingbox is a Solo and a US retail version.

I tried changing the name to 2012 and when I load the V2012 in to the Custom code field and press Power, I get a dialog box stating "Custom remote code not found. Please try a different code."

I used the same RMDU file and even went and added the PS function to all the power labeled buttons.

I copied the V2012_RV.bin to V2012_PL.bin as well with no effect.   So it sees the V2012 file, but said it can't find the remote code for Power.  Also, there are no changes to the remote in the Slingplayer or Android player.

Thanks for the assistance.

To clarify, the error was not that it didn't see or find the BIN file.  I get a different message stating that the remote code file could not be loaded when I enter a non-existant code.

alanrichey42 Master

I tried changing the name to 2012 and when I load the V2012 in to the Custom code field and press Power, I get a dialog box stating "Custom remote code not found. Please try a different code."

What do you mean "changing the name" ?   You CANNOT just change a name, you have to rebuild the BIN file using the PL selection.  That message means it can't find the file.

I copied the V2012_RV.bin to V2012_PL.bin as well with no effect.       

Same thing.

So it sees the V2012 file, but said it can't find the remote code for Power. 

On the contrary, it is not seeing the BIN file.

Also, there are no changes to the remote in the Slingplayer or Android player.

There won't be.   You are downloading the remote to your Slingbox, and after that is done, ALL the different players will access that remote.

So I have no real idea what you are doing with RemoteMaster, but your description does not inspire confidence   Might be an idea to read my Guide to Custom Remotes at http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6413

Meanwhile I have attached a Custom Remote I built from your RMDU file.  Please follow the instructions !!

Al

255909603984300

I didn't rename the files, I "renamed" the code from 1128 to 2012 inside of Remote Master.  I'm not totally clueless.

After I did that, I exported a new .bin.

As far as finding the file, I get two totally different messages when I try to load the 2012 bin file that I placed in the SBAV folder in my Sling Player folder and if I enter some random code, so that is why I assumed it was seeing the file.

Look, this process is far from intuitive.  I appreciate your help.  I will try loading the file you attached.

EDIT:  Ok, your file loaded fine and works.  I concede that it was an error on my part in the creation of the custom .bin file.  As I said, all I did was export from Remote Master and that created the _RV.bin file.

Thanks for the help.

255909603984300

OK after messing with Remote Master more I realise my problem was not setting the output to US version (PL).  The ps3 rmdu file I got was set to EU (RV).

You mentioned that I may need both files but I did not see any mention of outputting different region files from within Remote Master.  Sure it seems obvious to someone who has messed with it but for someone using it for the first time the instructions are hardly thorough.

The file you sent me still did not show any controls in my android player (arrows, main buttons).  I modified the file and this one works perfectly in my Android player (as well as the other players) for anyone who wants it.  US version of course.

alanrichey42 Master

You mentioned that I may need both files but I did not see any mention of outputting different region files from within Remote Master.  Sure it seems obvious to someone who has messed with it but for someone using it for the first time the instructions are hardly thorough.

That is why I recommenced you read the article I wrote on how to use it     Strictly speaking, as you found, you don't need both files.  But I found so many people doing what you did and putting the wrong one in that I changed all my instructions to say put them both in.  The Slingbox is intelligent enough to look at them both and pick the right one.

Glad it's all sorted.

Cheers

Al